Do both firm/insurance have to reply? Watch

Dias
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi guys

I received my first reply from ucas this morning and I started to panic right away, but now I started to think that maybe I'm wrong. Basically I've received unconditional from my Insurance, and I assumed that this automatically means that my Firm has gone to the toilet. My UCAS right now is:

University of Exeter, Unconditional, Insurance

City University, Conditional , Firm

Do I have to wait for a reply from City as well? Not everything is lost? Right? Right? :woo:
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It will change to either "unconditional" or "unsuccessful". As it hasn't changed that means they either haven't got your results or haven't decided.
Dias
Rep:
?
Glad to hear that, that means I still have a bit of hope. )

Thanks
lindieeluieee
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's weird, because I thought the insurance unis only reply to you after your firm uni "releases" you... For example I got my unconditional from my firm and my insurance stayed as a condition insurace
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dias)
Glad to hear that, that means I still have a bit of hope. )

Thanks
If your results have come through and your firm hasn't updated yet then you NEED to ring them to find out what is happening. It's possible that they haven't recieved your results or just haven't got round to updating track yet...or there might be some other problem. The sooner you ring them up the sooner you'll know what's happening.

(and fwiw - whether your insurance will bother to update/confirm/reject you depends on the uni concerned - some will confirm/reject everyone they have decisions for as quickly as they can while others wont even think about whether to confirm your place or not until your firm rejects you)
nath247
Report 8 years ago
I'm in the same boat, My firm has become unconditional which is good, Just wondered if my insurance would change too, out of curiosity. However it states on my AS12 letter
If the instituiton listed was your insurance choice, this means that your application to your firm choice has been unsuccessful. If you believe your firm choice should have accepted you, please contact the university or college immediately.
maucej
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PQ)

(and fwiw - whether your insurance will bother to update/confirm/reject you depends on the uni concerned - some will confirm/reject everyone they have decisions for as quickly as they can while others wont even think about whether to confirm your place or not until your firm rejects you)
Eep... can't believe I'm picking up on a PQ post!!

Anyway, just to clarify (because the context of the above posts suggests this is relevent...) that's not the whole story. If your firm makes a decision first and accepts you, then your insurance CAN'T make any decision against your application. Their records will say that you're unconditional firm elsewhere and that's that. So if you don't hear from them, it's not necessarily laziness - it could be timing. They might have made a decision but found that they couldn't communicate it to you.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by maucej)
Eep... can't believe I'm picking up on a PQ post!!

Anyway, just to clarify (because the context of the above posts suggests this is relevent...) that's not the whole story. If your firm makes a decision first and accepts you, then your insurance CAN'T make any decision against your application. Their records will say that you're unconditional firm elsewhere and that's that. So if you don't hear from them, it's not necessarily laziness - it could be timing. They might have made a decision but found that they couldn't communicate it to you.
If you say so - but most applicants on UCAS's Outsanding Decisions Lists (ODL) tend to be applicants who are Insurance and have had their Firm place confirmed. And if not changed from CI to UI by the 14th Sept they are changed to Reject By Default (RBD) by UCAS...but AFAIK once the AS12 has been triggered UCAS don't bother passing those changes through to Track (which messes up any way of tracking potential conversion rates for Insurance applicants).

There's nothing in the UCAS Admissions Guides/Decision Processing Manual about UCAS blocking a decision to confirm/reject Insurance applicants if their Firm place has already been confirmed - but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place
Dias
Rep:
?
Wait, do you mean I have been rejected from my firm?

As a matter of fact, I have received an email from my firm yesterday morning saying that they haven't received my results yet, 5 hours later my insurance became "unconditional". Doesn't firm choice supposed to become "unsuccessful" in case of rejection?

I'm calling them tomorrow morning...
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dias)
Wait, do you mean I have been rejected from my firm?

As a matter of fact, I have received an email from my firm yesterday morning saying that they haven't received my results yet, 5 hours later my insurance became "unconditional". Doesn't firm choice supposed to become "unsuccessful" in case of rejection?

I'm calling them tomorrow morning...
No, everyone here says your insurance is just being quick and your firm being slow.
Dias
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
No, everyone here says your insurance is just being quick and your firm being slow.

Ok, thank you very much for your clarification.

I apologise for being "retard", but that happens to me when I'm in panic. :o:

I'll call my Firm tomorrow morning asap as you have suggested and I'll let you know how it went.

Btw, a little question: UCAS says that it's not gonna update track details from now to August 5th. Can I still call them to ask my situation in real time?
Yuh!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Same kind of situation for me, my insurance choice offer changed to unconditional last week but my firm is still showing as conditional despite asking for the same grade as my insurance choice. Basically, is it just likely that my firm hasn't got around to updating Track? (I know that Track won't update for a number of days due to the maintenance)
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Yuh!)
Same kind of situation for me, my insurance choice offer changed to unconditional last week but my firm is still showing as conditional despite asking for the same grade as my insurance choice. Basically, is it just likely that my firm hasn't got around to updating Track? (I know that Track won't update for a number of days due to the maintenance)
It's *possible* - but it's still up to YOU to ring your firm up to check that they've actually received your results and are planning on accepting you. Phone them up to check that everything is ok and ask when Track will update.
maucej
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
If you say so - but most applicants on UCAS's Outsanding Decisions Lists (ODL) tend to be applicants who are Insurance and have had their Firm place confirmed. And if not changed from CI to UI by the 14th Sept they are changed to Reject By Default (RBD) by UCAS...but AFAIK once the AS12 has been triggered UCAS don't bother passing those changes through to Track (which messes up any way of tracking potential conversion rates for Insurance applicants).

There's nothing in the UCAS Admissions Guides/Decision Processing Manual about UCAS blocking a decision to confirm/reject Insurance applicants if their Firm place has already been confirmed - but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place
Could be issues with Banner, SITS etc etc... The link between UCAS and Universtieis is a mysterious one at times!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by maucej)
Could be issues with Banner, SITS etc etc... The link between UCAS and Universtieis is a mysterious one at times!
absolutely, or ODBC-link/web-link/xml-link etc - always annoys the hell out of me that the ODL lists are full of applicants who are already sorted with their firm - makes it harder to pick out the applicants who ARE still in limbo (or the applicants who are still conditional with both firm and insurance).
Dias
Rep:
?
Ok, I've called them...

They have received my results yesterday. I meet all the requirement besides one: Maths. My grade is 61 instead of 65 required for a Distinction. So the lady told me that instead of rejecting my offer they're gonna wait until the mid-August to see whether they can give me an offer.

What is the likelihood of them confirming my place?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dias)
Ok, I've called them...

They have received my results yesterday. I meet all the requirement besides one: Maths. My grade is 61 instead of 65 required for a Distinction. So the lady told me that instead of rejecting my offer they're gonna wait until the mid-August to see whether they can give me an offer.

What is the likelihood of them confirming my place?
It depends on too much to predict to be honest.

Just in case - if you WANT to go to your insurance and don't want to be held in limbo until the A level results come out then you can contact UCAS and ask them to reject you from your firm as you haven't met the grades.
Dias
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
It depends on too much to predict to be honest.

Just in case - if you WANT to go to your insurance and don't want to be held in limbo until the A level results come out then you can contact UCAS and ask them to reject you from your firm as you haven't met the grades.

Thank you for your reply.

My fear right now is that instead of confirming my place they can propose me another course (like Business Studies instead of Management), something that I wouldn't want to do. Jeez, all this trouble because of 4%...

By the way, can you confirm that, as far as insurance is concerned, students don't book their accommodation till they have an unconditional offer? I mean, will I be able to book one during 19-20 of August?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dias)
Thank you for your reply.

My fear right now is that instead of confirming my place they can propose me another course (like Business Studies instead of Management), something that I wouldn't want to do. Jeez, all this trouble because of 4%...

By the way, can you confirm that, as far as insurance is concerned, students don't book their accommodation till they have an unconditional offer? I mean, will I be able to book one during 19-20 of August?
If either your firm or insurance make an offer of an alternate course then you're given the option to either accept or decline that offer - so you won't be FORCED into a course you don't want to do.

For accommodation it is really important that you CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE DIRECTLY - every uni has different policies - some expect you to apply before, some expect you to apply after, some expect you to sort yourself out and don't give any hall offers to insurance students.

(note the shouting is for the benefit of ANYONE reading this who doesn't know what they're supposed to do about applying for accommodation at their insurance)
Dias
Rep:
?
Thank you very much for your time. I've checked out and Exeter wants me to confirm my place first in order to be able to book my accommodation.

Ugly situation: waiting for my firm choice and meanwhile I'm at risk losing accommodation at my insurance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (65)
26.97%
No (176)
73.03%

Watched Threads