Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jace Falco
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
Dunno, just always seen them as a bit geeky and weird and stupid, and most of them always seemed to have really pathetic special effects. Although this is mostly hearsay and stereotyping.

Just not really my thing in general. There's not even that many space films I really love.
Some of them do have absolutely **** effects. Like Andromeda :sigh: Not the genre's finest moment.

Firefly, however, has pretty good special effects, and, more importantly, knows when to use them and when not to.

(Original post by aja89)
Just watched The Fighter, didn't blow me away but I liked it a lot. Probably about a 7/10.

Not convinced that Melissa Leo deserved the Oscar though.
I really hated her character, but she acted it very well.
mimimimi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Student2806)
Just watched Scott Pilgrim again. If anything, it gets better the more times you watch it. It's almost faultless.
I wish Kieran Culkin did more films.
I really liked him in Scott Pilgrim too Hope he does plenty more films.

I also watched 'You Can Count on Me' the other day which has the other Culkin brother in, Rory... Instantly recognisable as they all look pretty much the same He was also really good.
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't believe Macaulay Culkin is 30 :|
cambo211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't believe that he was with Mila Kunis for a while.
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cambo211)
I can't believe that he was with Mila Kunis for a while.
Who wouldn't want to be able to watch Home Alone and say "I tapped that"?!
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
Smirnoff?

Am currently trying to think of a suitably witty response to both.
Yeah, that's one of the names he goes by (has so many accounts). And by some disturbing coincidence (he's spying on us), a little while after you said his name, he sent me a PM demanding reminding me to +7 rep him because I had 'assured' him I would...

Stolen from another thread. But i think it's nostalgia.
(Original post by kingrudding)
You can keep all your new features, pokemon and battles styles, just give me a magikarp, pikachu, diglet, pidgy, caterpie and a Ghastly and I will prevail.
Nostalgia indeed. What Gameboys did you guys have? Remember carrying around the B/W Gameboy...all the other kids had their Colours, GBAs and SPs :cry:
cambo211
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
Yeah, that's one of the names he goes by (has so many accounts). And by some disturbing coincidence (he's spying on us), a little while after you said his name, he sent me a PM demanding reminding me to +7 rep him because I had 'assured' him I would...
He is banned from The Shoutbox though :rofl:
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
+7 rep
Speaking of which cheers
Would've PMed but not possible to you :p:
cambo211
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nostalgia indeed. What Gameboys did you guys have? Remember carrying around the B/W Gameboy...all the other kids had their Colours, GBAs and SPs :cry:
I had:

then

then

cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had:

Spoiler:
Show

then

then

Tribal SP FTW!

That's just cos the other kids didn't understand "retro" :p:
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm back :yeah:

Movie time now :beard:
The Stig
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Better not happen again, yo. I'm warning you. We will find you. Our fury knows no bounds.
There's a couple of others which I've left unfinished... :ninja: However in summer they shall all be completed :teehee:

-----

Just saw this while flicking through the paper on the train: www.metro.co.uk/balloonhouse :awesome:
Ape Gone Insane
(Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
Tribal SP FTW!
SP kids sucked. :pierre:

At least me and Cambo (from the looks of it) stopped at GBA. None of that SP and Micro shizzle. :hand:

(Original post by Guvnor)
I'm back :yeah:

Movie time now :beard:
Welcome back, Guv. :hat2:
Ape Gone Insane
Has anybody here came across any films which have had a good concept, but which has been badly executed? Jumper and Invention of Lying spring to mind for me. On the opposing end, The Butterfly Effect had a good concept which was well executed.
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
SP kids sucked. :pierre:

At least me and Cambo (from the looks of it) stopped at GBA. None of that SP and Micro shizzle. :hand:
Well pre-SP I only had GBC (which I bought after winning bingo on holiday ) and I thought the SP was pretty!
unknownking321
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Has anybody here came across any films which have had a good concept, but which has been badly executed? Jumper and Invention of Lying spring to mind for me. On the opposing end, The Butterfly Effect had a good concept which was well executed.
I agree with The Invention of Lying.

Duplex? Phonebooth? 4.3.2.1? The Da Vinci Code? :holmes:
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Alien: Resurrection I think. I agree with Jumper and The Invention Of Lying and I'd like to add Ronin to them.

Conversely I think True Grit (the recent one) was the opposite - a bad story (or, at least, too 2D for me) that was very well executed!
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It did seem a little odd that I've never spoken to him and was just met with such a rude "are you a medical student or what?". Oh well, it seems there are some very peculiar people on TSR...

Paycheck is my fallback example for this. Fantastic story, and a good crew (directed by John Woo, starring Affleck, Thurman, Eckhart) but it just doesn't quite come together. I really loved it when I was younger though. I am always willing to try and overlook a film's flaws if you can see that it's attempted to do something original, daring or ambitious.
lukejoshjedi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Daybreakers, that's like the definitive great concept poorly executed, also agree on Jumper
Jace Falco
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My brother had a GBC, which I frequently stole borrowed. I bought a retro GB from a neighbour when he got his GBC, which I used until the GBA came out right next to my birthday. I scorned the SP, and eventually got a DS. Which I sold after a few months.

(Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
Alien: Resurrection I think. I agree with Jumper and The Invention Of Lying and I'd like to add Ronin to them.

Conversely I think True Grit (the recent one) was the opposite - a bad story (or, at least, too 2D for me) that was very well executed!
I liked Alien: Resurrection.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (85)
14.48%
Yes - a food allergy (62)
10.56%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.56%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.73%
No (409)
69.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed