The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

reems23
Subscribing again. I have The Prestige infront of me waiting to be watched :bandit:.

I've got a blu ray copy streaming to my PS3. :cool:
Don't y'all forget to watch There Will Be Blood tonight if you've not already seen it (and write a review about it :ninja:).
Reply 382
Phalanges
Don't y'all forget to watch There Will Be Blood tonight if you've not already seen it (and write a review about it :ninja:).

Might be worth pointing out that it looks like TWBB will be on iPlayer, so anyone who missed it on tv can watch it there at their leisure.
Hey does anyone else have that "1,001 movies you must see before you die" book? How many of them have you seen?
I feel depressed having watched TWBB. This was not the reaction I wanted to have to this film.
Reply 385
rofflewaffle
I feel depressed having watched TWBB. This was not the reaction I wanted to have to this film.

Write a review then. :p:
Reply 386
In other news, I watched Shutter Island. Not what I was expecting.
Kolya
Might be worth pointing out that it looks like TWBB will be on iPlayer, so anyone who missed it on tv can watch it there at their leisure.

Ah, excellent - I wasn't sure it would be. I shall update the sticky/announcement now.

S-man10

Precisely my response. :p:

S-man10

How come? What were you expecting?

Onearmedbandit
Hey does anyone else have that "1,001 movies you must see before you die" book? How many of them have you seen?

I've seen the book, but I'm always a bit wary of things like that - the rules for inclusion seemed quite arbitrary and the review or discussion of each was practically non-existent in order to fit more films in.
S-man10

I will, I will :h:.
Reply 389
Has anyone seen A Prophet?

Even better than Mesrine in my opinion. French films seem so much more realistic, although subtitles do butcher the slang.
Reply 390
S-man10

Good? Bad?

I think in my mind it cemented beautiful Leo as king of the hill :cool:. I really enjoyed it, though I had worked the end out halfway through. This is what you get for studying psychosis :emo:.
Reply 391
Shook
Has anyone seen A Prophet?

Even better than Mesrine in my opinion. French films seem so much more realistic, although subtitles do butcher the slang.

I adored it. The pacing was brilliant, the growth and the development of the character was beautifully done and it was set in a relevant and interesting social setting. I don't think it was the fact that it was french that made it realistic. More the proper cool camera work giving it an edgy and though i'm loath to use the word 'gritty' look.

The character reminded me of Michael Corleone lots. The sauve controlled anger and the affinity I felt with him even though he's a bit of a ******. Though quite different from The Godfather, I do think it's up there with The Godfather as one of the greatest crime thrillers :cool:, though this won't be the case for everyone as it is quite intense.
reems23
Good? Bad?

I think in my mind it cemented beautiful Leo as king of the hill :cool:. I really enjoyed it, though I had worked the end out halfway through. This is what you get for studying psychosis :emo:.

I think pretty much everyone had the twist worked out before the end came. It's fairly well signposted. :p:
Reply 393
Phalanges
How come? What were you expecting?

reems23
Good? Bad?

Just OK. You can deduce what the ending was since you both are medics. I just had a vague idea but I was really hoping that it wouldnt be what I was expecting.

But in the end I just said, "Right, I just spent 2 hours watching a mans fantasy......OK."

So if I were to rate it, 6.5/10

I even watched Kick-Ass and Transformers 2. Will watch The Hangover tonight.
Phalanges
I've seen the book, but I'm always a bit wary of things like that - the rules for inclusion seemed quite arbitrary and the review or discussion of each was practically non-existent in order to fit more films in.

Well of course there are dubious entries. Probably about 50% of the films are certs, 30% you can't really argue with and 19% are a bit dodgy. The remaining 1% are just WTF entries like Atonement(!?).

Anyway all in all I like having the book. I find it a really good reference point if I want to watch a classic film but don't know where to begin looking.
S-man10
Just OK. You can deduce what the ending was since you both are medics. I just had a vague idea but I was really hoping that it wouldnt be what I was expecting.

But in the end I just said, "Right, I just spent 2 hours watching a mans fantasy......OK."

What you said at the end could equally qualify for Inception... :ninja:

It wasn't really because I was a medic that I guessed the ending. At the time I didn't really know what it was (but found it a bit strange that a lot of my friends, most of whom aren't that observant at things like this, also had worked it out) but from reading some things afterwards there is a hell of a lot of symbolism worked in really nicely and subtly which probably contributes to everyone having that feeling (the fire/water thing being the most obvious one).

What did you think of Kick Ass? I quite liked it.

Onearmedbandit
Anyway all in all I like having the book. I find it a really good reference point if I want to watch a classic film but don't know where to begin looking.

Who's it written by? My only reservation with books like that is the knowledge-base of the person who does the selecting. With the amount of books out like that I'd rather have a more expensive one with a decent tag on it (like the AFI or Empire) than someone who's just cycled through wikipedia. :p:
Kick Ass certainly was better than expected. I remember watching the trailer and thinking what is this rubbish? But after watching it, I was surprised at how good it was.
S-man10

Lol yeah that's sorta how I felt after watching it, but then I thought things through again and realised how clever it must've for Dr Cawley to produce a role-play of that woman's disappearance that seemed believable to Edward. It wasn't the best of Scorcese's of works but it was good I'd say.
Reply 398
reems23
I adored it. The pacing was brilliant, the growth and the development of the character was beautifully done and it was set in a relevant and interesting social setting. I don't think it was the fact that it was french that made it realistic. More the proper cool camera work giving it an edgy and though i'm loath to use the word 'gritty' look.

The character reminded me of Michael Corleone lots. The sauve controlled anger and the affinity I felt with him even though he's a bit of a ******. Though quite different from The Godfather, I do think it's up there with The Godfather as one of the greatest crime thrillers :cool:, though this won't be the case for everyone as it is quite intense.

I didn't mean it's realistic because it is French, but that the French make very realistic films.

What they did with Reyeb was brilliant but what I don't understand is:

Spoiler

Phalanges
Who's it written by? My only reservation with books like that is the knowledge-base of the person who does the selecting. With the amount of books out like that I'd rather have a more expensive one with a decent tag on it (like the AFI or Empire) than someone who's just cycled through wikipedia. :p:

It's edited by Stephen Schneider, who has to be cool because he shares a surname with two cinema greats - Rob and Roy :biggrin:

But it's actually put together by about 50 film critics and professors from around the world, so it's not just one person's opinion.

Latest