Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roobsa
RIP Leslie Nielsen :frown:

:sadnod: RIP Leslie Nielsen and Irvin Kershner :frown:
James Franco and Anne Hathaway to co-host the 2011 Oscars. :sogood:
Original post by samanthaaaa

Inception to get Best Soundtrack. :coma:
Searching through recent film releases, looking for a film to my liking. Watched Public Enemies and am now tired.
Nooooo. My DVD drive has suddenly gone kaput. I was going to watch Dogma tonight. :frown:
Original post by Anamaria90
Nooooo. My DVD drive has suddenly gone kaput. I was going to watch Dogma tonight. :frown:

Do you not have a standalone DVD player? :holmes:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Do you not have a standalone DVD player? :holmes:

Nope, just a piece of **** laptop.
DVDs are so passé. Everyone should download Handbrake to rip their DVDs to digital format.
Don't know if the following has been put in here before. A brief interview with Nolan about Inceptions ending.

In the end you can hear Cobb's top topple over thus proving that he's not in a dream,
Nolan
This gives Cobb a base-line reality. But he's an untrustworthy narrator.

What about the fact that Cobb's children are wearing the same clothes in his dreams and in the climax? Plus they haven't aged at all? Clearly THIS proves that he is in a dream.
Nolan
The kids are not wearing the same clothes at the end! And they do age! We were working with two sets of kids.

But what about the fact that Cobb is clearly not looking at the top in the end? Does that mean he doesn't care if it's a dream or reality he's happy, so clearly it is a dream or else why else show that?
Nolan
The important thing is that Cobb's not looking at the top. He doesn't care

Ok what if just the ENDING is a dream and Saito and Cobb are still stuck together in the dream world, so they've decided to build their own world together, where everything works out?
Nolan
Uh…that's not how I would have read the movie

The phrase "leap of faith" is repeated over and over causing many people to believe that the whole movie is really an act of Inception.
Nolan
I don't think I'm going to tell you about this.
Original post by cambo211
Don't know if the following has been put in here before. A brief interview with Nolan about Inceptions ending.

In the end you can hear Cobb's top topple over thus proving that he's not in a dream,

What about the fact that Cobb's children are wearing the same clothes in his dreams and in the climax? Plus they haven't aged at all? Clearly THIS proves that he is in a dream.

But what about the fact that Cobb is clearly not looking at the top in the end? Does that mean he doesn't care if it's a dream or reality he's happy, so clearly it is a dream or else why else show that?

Ok what if just the ENDING is a dream and Saito and Cobb are still stuck together in the dream world, so they've decided to build their own world together, where everything works out?

The phrase "leap of faith" is repeated over and over causing many people to believe that the whole movie is really an act of Inception.

Phalanges may have posted it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28668221&postcount=4058

Fanks though. :teeth: Bit of a tease, isn't he? I guess that is the purpose. I wonder what his next step is (after TDKR and the Superman reboot).
Phalanges may have posted it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28668221&postcount=4058

Fanks though. :teeth: Bit of a tease, isn't he? I guess that is the purpose. I wonder what his next step is (after TDKR and the Superman reboot).

Yeah it's all in that link.

But I aint checking that far back for content :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Inception to get Best Soundtrack. :coma:

Yes. Hans Zimmer :sogood:
Original post by samanthaaaa

Given James Franco is pretty much guaranteed a nomination, that's going to be really awkward if he doesn't win...

Guess it means 127 hours will have to do a lot less campaigning though. Has a host ever won an Oscar before?

You've convinced me. Shall give it a watch in a few hours.

What did you think of it?

Yeah, yeah. :p: Although, what would you think of Bale as a possible 007?

Not charismatic enough.

Order of the Phoenix was pretty dry in places too though.

OotP has a great premise though, even if it doesn't always deliver; the idea is the most ambitious of the series, and one of the most ambitious childrens' stories ever. Whereas Goblet of Fire has a story which is just fundamentally broken and redundant.
Maybe it's a bit too early to predict nominations for the Oscars, but for Best Picture, three possible ones could be Inception, True Grit and 127 Hours? :awesome:
Original post by Madjackismad

Maybe it's a bit too early to predict nominations for the Oscars, but for Best Picture, three possible ones could be Inception, True Grit and 127 Hours? :awesome:

Guaranteed. Other sure things are The Kids are Alright and Toy Story 3.

Then I'd imagine films like The Social Network and Black Swan would be in with a good chance.
Original post by Phalanges
Guaranteed. Other sure things are The Kids are Alright and Toy Story 3.

Then I'd imagine films like The Social Network and Black Swan would be in with a good chance.

Ooh, forgot about The Social Network. I think Jesse Einberg will get a Best Actor nomination, he was great in the film. Other best actor nominations could be Jeff Bridges (again), Leonardo Di Caprio? Best special effects will probably go to Tron, if it doesn't, I'll eat my hat.

Toy Story 3 will be interesting. It will win Best Animated Film without breaking a sweat, but is it actually being considered for a Best Picture nomination?

Ooh, forgot about The Social Network. I think Jesse Einberg will get a Best Actor nomination, he was great in the film. Other best actor nominations could be Jeff Bridges (again), Leonardo Di Caprio? Best special effects will probably go to Tron, if it doesn't, I'll eat my hat.

Toy Story 3 will be interesting. It will win Best Animated Film without breaking a sweat, but is it actually being considered for a Best Picture nomination?

Best actor will have a lot of potentials. James Franco is going to win it by a mile, and Jeff Bridges and Colin Firth are both practically guaranteed nominations. Then for the last two spots there's DiCaprio, Ryan Reynolds, Wahlberg and Eissenberg. It will be interesting, I'd be very disappointed if Ryan Reynolds didn't get a nom...

I made a predictive post here a little while ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28582259&postcount=3820
Original post by Phalanges
Best actor will have a lot of potentials. James Franco is going to win it by a mile, and Jeff Bridges and Colin Firth are both practically guaranteed nominations. Then for the last two spots there's DiCaprio, Ryan Reynolds, Wahlberg and Eissenberg. It will be interesting, I'd be very disappointed if Ryan Reynolds didn't get a nom...

I made a predictive post here a little while ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28582259&postcount=3820

Yeah, I pretty much agree with most of those predictions. What makes you think that Franco will win? I've seen the trailers but I feel I can't make a judgement just based on them.

Daft Punk Tron soundtrack is out next Monday. :coma:

Yeah, I pretty much agree with most of those predictions. What makes you think that Franco will win? I've seen the trailers but I feel I can't make a judgement just based on them.

Daft Punk Tron soundtrack is out next Monday. :coma:

Several reasons. Firstly it's a properly actor-driven film - few props, few distractions, just one man in a tight set for the most part. And by all accounts he seems to have put in a terrific performance. Also, the opportunity is there; winning an Oscar is as much about marketing as it is acting. If Franco's now hosting it he's already going to be at the forefront of everyone's mind, whereas when Jeff Bridges would need to be promoting True Grit he's going to be tied up with Disney. Colin Firth is still too quaint and English to be seriously considered. Depending on how The Fighter reviews, I think Mark Wahlberg could very well be Franco's biggest competition.

It's going to be awesome seeing Daft Punk collect their Oscar next year.
It takes a couple of years of not seeing it to appreciate what a truly brilliant film Forrest Gump is. An absolutely spectacular work of art.

Latest