The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not long 'till Tron: Legacy. 73% on RottenTomatoes so far. "Phalanges stay away from that rooftop. And those Kleenex tissues." :hmmm:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Not long 'till Tron: Legacy. 73% on RottenTomatoes so far. "Phalanges stay away from that rooftop. And those Kleenex tissues." :hmmm:

73% isn't bad. Plus, it can go up. :p: There's a lot of reviews saying it's easily the best 3D movie since Avatar, maybe even better.
Reply 4382

What would you consider a great RT rating?

Also, how reliable really is RT? I agree with most of the reviews, but got very put off by the 97% for the new Star Trek...
Original post by Madjackismad
Don't flash it at a plane full of nuns or you're going to hell.

It is precisely this type of behaviour that got such flashing banned in the first place. People with powerful and long rods, flashing them at pilots on planes. :sexface:

Original post by cambo211
You've repped me twice in the past 5 days :h:

lovely_me is just Reems.

I'm such a whore. :emo: (Although you do post in a lot of threads I post in).

Say what? :eek4:

I will still be at the cinema on the 17th. My flatmates have succumbed to my nagging and are being dragged tagging along.
Original post by Abiraleft

Also, how reliable really is RT? I agree with most of the reviews, but got very put off by the 97% for the new Star Trek...

I don't put much weight on RT. It's just an interesting gauge. I look at the 'Top Critics' as there are some pretty stupid critics who manage to squeeze in and become a 'critic' with their opinion (on some unknown, badly designed blog) having value in the overall process.

But if a film is under 60%, it would push me towards not watching it.
It is precisely this type of behaviour that got such flashing banned in the first place. People with powerful and long rods, flashing them at pilots on planes. :sexface:

It's amazing the trajectory and range of [censored] isn't it?
In addition to my above point, look at Inception. 87% amongst normal critics and 100% amongst the 'Top Critics'. Talk of a film being fantastic or "overrated" but would you actually, in essence, tell somebody not to watch Inception amongst the trash that has come out. Well, 13% think so.

That said, I would say anything over 80% is a very good rating and above 90% is a great rating.

I don't go to to many different threads.

My general posting is either humorous images or non-groundbreaking news.

Such as Jon Favreau saying "In theory, Iron Man 3 is going to be a sequel or continuation of Thor, Hulk, Captain America, and Avengers."

This looks ****ing great. There's so many fairy tales that it would be possible to turn into really creepy thrillers, and this has so much potential to be great.

I can almost guarantee that everyone will line up to hate it when it comes out though "Oh god more twilight crap with wolves and sex how rubbish" - but then people are scum.

I don't really care what other reviewers think to be honest. I'm a little bit worried that Empire seems to suggest it's neither fun nor does it have a particularly good script though.

Plus I don't really trust rottentomatoes, they seem to include all kinds of bat-**** crazy reviewers. Metacritic is a far better and aesthetically-pleasing site.
In addition to my above point, look at Inception. 87% amongst normal critics and 100% amongst the 'Top Critics'. Talk of a film being fantastic or "overrated" but would you actually, in essence, tell somebody not to watch Inception amongst the other trash that has come out.

That said, I would say anything over 80% is a very good rating and above 90% is a great rating.

Yeah, but the film is still not released for another 10 days. The premier was just last night, so other publications can easily review it, pushing it up to 80% or so.

Still, if the story completely sucks, I'm still going to see it for the special effects and soundtrack.
Yeah, but the film is still not released for another 10 days. The premier was just last night, so other publications can easily review it, pushing it up to 80% or so.

Still, if the story completely sucks, I'm still going to see it for the special effects and soundtrack.

73% isn't bad. Plus, it can go up. :p: There's a lot of reviews saying it's easily the best 3D movie since Avatar, maybe even better.

Absolutely. I remember Inception staying but then falling from 100%. At least, well the soundtrack is a guarantee, there will be other aspects of the movie that will make it worth the watch. A bit like Avatar - the story and characters weren't particularly gripping but the special effects were mindblowing.

Ignore RT for the most part - it lumps in professionals and amateurs and you just end up with a mess of a review set. Metacritic separates out the public and the pros giving you two distinct scoring and reviewing sections, and a lot of different options for viewing the stats.

Anything over 70 on Meta has a good rating (they are generally a lot tougher because they only feature the top critics) and anything over 85 is pretty much a must watch for me (to put this into context, only 2 films on wide release have over 70 at present).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Phalanges

This looks ****ing great. There's so many fairy tales that it would be possible to turn into really creepy thrillers, and this has so much potential to be great.

I can almost guarantee that everyone will line up to hate it when it comes out though "Oh god more twilight crap with wolves and sex how rubbish" - but then people are scum.

I don't really care what other reviewers think to be honest. I'm a little bit worried that Empire seems to suggest it's neither fun nor does it have a particularly good script though.

Looks good, better than Twilight. And seems they have already started in the comment section. :facepalm2: Still we are always around to pounce with words.

Plus I don't really trust rottentomatoes, they seem to include all kinds of bat-**** crazy reviewers. Metacritic is a far better and aesthetically-pleasing site.

Agreed. I've been on Metacritic from time to time but haven't used it as much as I would like to.

Original post by cambo211
I don't go to to many different threads.

My general posting is either humorous images or non-groundbreaking news.

Such as Jon Favreau saying "In theory, Iron Man 3 is going to be a sequel or continuation of Thor, Hulk, Captain America, and Avengers."

Not looking forward to 3 after 2. 2 was such a letdown. In fact, the only part of the Iron Man film series I've enjoyed was the cave in the first film.
Reply 4394
Original post by Phalanges

With lines such as "I'm wrong for you"..."I don't care" it's easy to see why a lot of people will compare it to Twilight and subsequently hate on it. Kind of reminds me off The Village a little bit as well.
Original post by Roobsa
With lines such as "I'm wrong for you"..."I don't care" it's easy to see why a lot of people will compare it to Twilight and subsequently hate on it. Kind of reminds me off The Village a little bit as well.

Because she's wearing a red coat? Don't worry, I immediately thought of The Village as well. :p:
Reply 4396
Ape Gone Insane

Phalanges

Thanks. I've heard of but never been on Metacritic - RT seemed to be the one everyone was using...

But doesn't RT also have distinct 'Critics' and 'Top Critics' sections?
Reply 4397
Because she's wearing a red coat? Don't worry, I immediately thought of The Village as well. :p:

For me it was because of the whole, there's something killing people one by one and the whole village is basically living under fear.

The serial negger will be found, I will deduce this. :holmes:

We have a traitor in our midst. It's a sad day when you look upon your Fanatic brothers with suspicion, doubt and paranoia. :shifty:

We need a detective. I suggest Jimmy McNulty.

Do people still use RT? :holmes: I stick to imdb. :yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending