The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5440
Today - The Queen, Prince Caspian :smile:
They opened the hatch. :gah:

Original post by Phalanges
I haven't actually watched Tron yet. :p: Haven't really had time, and don't want to watch it if it's not in the IMAX. I think I'm going to see it next week.

I guess it's always a possibility that it could be rebooted, but I'd struggle to see how they'd drastically improve on the first film (compared to Potter, which could easily be improved in 20 years with better child actors and being able to take more liberties with the story).

Discworld books are pretty much make up the majority of fiction I read now and I've read a fair few. I don't really like the first two that much, so I probably wouldn't recommend starting at the beginning. My favourite characters are a journalist (The Truth, which would be a pretty good starting point) and a reformed conman turned postman/minter (Going Postal, Making Money).

This is a pretty good reading order guide, pick a topic you like a look of and dive in. The Industrial Revolution is my favourite, so you'd start at Moving Pictures (which is about films, so would be a good starting point for a fanatic :p:) and then move onto The Truth, Monstrous Regiment (which is probably my favourite book, it's a fantastic story) before Going Postal and Making Money. Pretty good introduction to some of the very best he has to offer.

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

Ah! That's why you've been relatively quiet on the Tron front. Thought you were mourning. :ninja: Was there not talk of a Harry Potter TV series/special episodes? I remember reading that somewhere. It was going to be a darker take on the story itself.

Fanks very much. :teeth: I've heard a lot of people discuss and recommend Discworld. Haven't had time for books with films but I like delving deep into fantasy and science fiction. From reading around, many of the books are parodies of various elements of our society? That sounds good. Fantasy mixed with a bit of satire/parody. Saved the link. I think I'll go on your recommendation and start reading Moving Pictures and make my way to Making Money.

Original post by channy
I've always toyed with the idea of DDL as Aragorn, ever since there was an article in Empire a few years back about how Viggo seemed to be born for the role. I frigging love Viggo as Aragorn, I do I do.

But DDL as Hawkeye...GOSH. Forget Orlando, DDL is where it's at:

Sorry for the spam, but he's my man crush.

Not bad. :mmm: Though, that said, Viggo has a certain weathered and rough look about him.

On a slight tangent, have you watched The Road or A History Of Violence?

Haven't seen many DDL films, which would you recommend? :beard:
(edited 13 years ago)
Rory Vogel
X

sonic_youth
X

Welcome to the chat thread and society! :h:

Original post by emiliee21
I was not a fan of Avatar at all.
I thought the story line was a cliché (typical James Cameron) and very predictable. The visual effects were outstanding of course but that did not make the film enjoyable.
Does anyone else agree ?

Hm, I disagree to an extent. Even though the story built upon a fairly broad 'cliched' foundation, I thought the special effects made the film enjoyable overall. Most films which do not quite reach the 'great' or 'classic' status always compromise some aspect. But Avatar set the bar for 3D technology in film-making and really made a contribution on that front to the industry.

Original post by pinkpenguin
Avatar sucked balls. Didn't help I saw it after the massive hype machine, caught it on BluRay. It looked great but it had no substantive story really and was about an hour too long.

A Blu-ray doesn't quite compare with the 3D version in the cinemas. :tongue: And yeah, the action took a while to pick up - in the last 90 minutes or so of the actual film.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm trying to catch up on films I missed over the year. I seem to have completely ignored Catherine Keener's recent career - Please Give looks really good, and I have no idea how I missed this:

Also, this has been such a strong year for documentaries, and not even a Michael Moore in sight. Food Inc., Collapse, Countdown to Zero, Inside Job, Waiting for Superman, Restrepo, Catfish... so much good stuff.
Reply 5444
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Saw A History of Violence a few years back and I remember thinking, "holy ****, this guy is badass". I think I'll watch it again soon.

I really liked The Road, but I think the general consensus is that the book is better? Haven't read it as I don't actually read too many books, although I should.

I'm trying to catch up on films I missed over the year. I seem to have completely ignored Catherine Keener's recent career - Please Give looks really good, and I have no idea how I missed this:

Also, this has been such a strong year for documentaries, and not even a Michael Moore in sight. Food Inc., Collapse, Countdown to Zero, Inside Job, Waiting for Superman, Restrepo, Catfish... so much good stuff.

Restrepo is without a doubt the best documentary I've ever seen. Speaking of documentaries, have you seen Last Train Home?
(edited 13 years ago)
Ah! That's why you've been relatively quiet on the Tron front. Thought you were mourning. :ninja: Was there not talk of a Harry Potter TV series/special episodes? I remember reading that somewhere. It was going to be a darker take on the story itself.

Lol, you read that when me and unknownking were discussing how good it would be purely hypothetically. :p:

Fanks very much. :teeth: I've heard a lot of people discuss and recommend Discworld. Haven't had time for books with films but I like delving deep into fantasy and science fiction. From reading around, many of the books are parodies of various elements of our society? That sounds good. Fantasy mixed with a bit of satire/parody. Saved the link. I think I'll go on your recommendation and start reading Moving Pictures and make my way to Making Money.

Yeah, they started off as parody mixed with fantasy but they've evolved into much more. Monstrous Regiment is probably the best example of this, it's not really parody at all but pure social commentary.

Moving Pictures is great, particularly if you're interested in film. It's set in Holy Wood. :awesome:
Original post by Roobsa

Original post by Roobsa
Restrepo is without a doubt the best documentary I've ever seen. Speaking of documentaries, have you seen Last Train Home?

I was a bit underwhelmed by Restrepo, was expecting a lot more. Seen far better documentaries this year, I preferred most of the ones I listed above to it to be honest.

Yeah, I have - that's another which was really powerful.

And speaking of documentaries, how could I forget:

Really good.
Reply 5447
I was a bit underwhelmed by Restrepo, was expecting a lot more. Seen far better documentaries this year, I preferred most of the ones I listed above to it to be honest.

Yeah, I have - that's another which was really powerful.

And speaking of documentaries, how could I forget:

Really good.

I guess it's because I'm biased towards the military. On both sides of my family there is a history of the armed forces and my brother is a Royal Marine medic who will no doubt see front line action in his career, so seeing such a personal account of life in war was extremely powerful and moving for me and I haven't seen any other documentary that's affected me as much.
Original post by Roobsa

Original post by Roobsa
I guess it's because I'm biased towards the military. On both sides of my family there is a history of the armed forces and my brother is a Royal Marine medic who will no doubt see front line action in his career, so seeing such a personal account of life in war was extremely powerful and moving for me and I haven't seen any other documentary that's affected me as much.

Fair. It was obviously very well made, and I would be very surprised if it didn't win the Oscar, but I just didn't connect with it as much as some.
Cars :yeah:
Reply 5450
Cars is such a brilliant movie. You just can't fault it.
Reply 5451
Prince Caspian anyone?
Original post by Firaila
Prince Caspian anyone?

Hells yeah!
The ending 30 minutes of Cars is wonderful. I almost died laughing when Schumacher turned up at Luigi's at the end.
Reply 5454
Original post by emiliee21
I was not a fan of Avatar at all.
I thought the story line was a cliché (typical James Cameron) and very predictable. The visual effects were outstanding of course but that did not make the film enjoyable.
Does anyone else agree ?

Titanic was a good James Cameron film (I know many disagree) but mostly because he had the back story of an actual event to keep the overly used Romeo and Juliet story from becoming dull.

I thought it was way too cliched as well. It was good, but I can't say I enjoyed it all that much. Effects were incredible though.
They opened the hatch. :gah:

Not bad. :mmm: Though, that said, Viggo has a certain weathered and rough look about him.

Haven't seen many DDL films, which would you recommend? :beard:

I loved both The Road and A History of Violence.

Lol, you read that when me and unknownking were discussing how good it would be purely hypothetically. :p:

Yeah, they started off as parody mixed with fantasy but they've evolved into much more. Monstrous Regiment is probably the best example of this, it's not really parody at all but pure social commentary.

Moving Pictures is great, particularly if you're interested in film. It's set in Holy Wood. :awesome:

You didn't recommend any Vimes books! How could you? I mean, sure, he shows up briefly in Monstrous Regiment, but what about Night Watch, or Jingo?
that was jolly good ol'fun :teeth:

the war of the worlds is such a good film!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jace Falco

Original post by Jace Falco
You didn't recommend any Vimes books! How could you? I mean, sure, he shows up briefly in Monstrous Regiment, but what about Night Watch, or Jingo?

I love Night Watch, but you could never recommend it as an introductory read. If you don't know your canon the vast majority of that book will shoot straight over your head. The same is true of most of the Vimes books really, with the possible exception of The Fifth Elephant. I started with Men At Arms, and didn't have a clue what was going on half of the time.

The beauty of the industrial revolution is that they're all fairly self-contained and some of the best written. Plus I find William de Worde and Moist Von Lipwig infinitely more interesting as characters than Vimes. :ninja:
Moist :love:
May not be online tomorrow so I'll say it now:

Merry Christmas! Hope you all have a fantastic one!
:gah:

So many films to watch tomorrow. :teeth:

Latest

Trending

Trending