The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
matt10101
I'll start off a discussion now then

Anyone seen City of God?, saw it last week and I have to say that it was one of my favourite films ever, yet no-one i know has ever even heard of it

I suggest you guys go watch it now

I wouldn't say it's one of my favourites, but it is amazing. It's one of the typical A level Media Studies films due to the depth and amount of awesome in it.
Reply 41
I saw Me & Orson Welles yesterday. I actually loved it. Not just because Zac Efron was in it :sexface:

Also having now seen Toy Story 3 twice, I think I prefer the little animation 'day and night' more than the film. It was just really clever, well made and lovely. It's still very Good though :h:.
Reply 42
It's probably appropriate I stick my head into this thread. While wallowing in my current unemployment, I'm watching a ton of films. At the moment I have started working my way through watching the Cannes prizewinners - hopefully I get a job before I get through all 130+ of them!
Watched Saving Private Ryan yesterday :coma:

Last week I watched: Inception, The Green Mile, American History X, Avatar (2nd time watching it).

Since I knew nothing about The Green Mile the story really got me. :yes:
Reply 44
matt10101
I'll start off a discussion now then

Anyone seen City of God?, saw it last week and I have to say that it was one of my favourite films ever, yet no-one i know has ever even heard of it

I suggest you guys go watch it now

I saw City of God not very long ago also and I thought it was a great film. Visually rich, compelling story, great music and a sense of humour too, an essential watch in my view.
Reply 45
I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang last night. It was very very cleverly made. It contained death, violence, blood and a certain depth of emotion, however it was juxtaposed very well with a brilliant dark sense of humour which I was laughing out loud to at numerous points, sometimes immediately after an emotionally troubling scene. The story was almost mocking the genre, and at the same time being a part of it in a very real and clever way. Robert Downey Jr does what he does best, very well: being charming, sauve and very likeable. Watch it.
Reply 46
I always wondered why a thread like this never existed, so I am in.
Reply 47
aja89
More seriously though, films everybody should watch...

> Battle Royale
> Paris When It Sizzles
> Volver
> Spirited Away
> Shallow Grave
> The Opposite Of Sex

Shallow Grave is a brilliant movie

Haven't watched the others yet!

I was thinking of watching Audition rather than watching Battle Royale... hmmm

Any suggestions people?
aja89
Watch it watch it watch it!

It's truly astounding. :love:

yesioo
Such an amazing film. Creepy but amazing.

Very well. :teeth:

Billy Pilgrim
Vanilla Sky is a bit meh, but I like the ideas - have you seen the original: "Abre los ojos"? I think its a far superior film.

I didn't know there was an original. :shock:

Bunsher
How about we do this, they used to do this on a film board I went on. Every week, there is a film that we all decide on, and we all have to watch it, and on a designated day of each week we discuss the film we've all watched. Could work!

vander Beth

B) How would we pick what movie to watch if we were to do a weekly discussion?

Sounds like an excellent idea although it would have to be a movie which is accessible to everybody. Perhaps a film that is coming on TV? We could discuss it as it's playing too. :teeth:
I do like the idea of a topical film discussion (although I hate talking during films, so typing during them would be even worse AGI :p:).

In terms of accessibility we could either do one that is on TV, or one that's very popular and so it is quite likely that everyone will know someone who has a copy. Or we could all take advantage of this offer (http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/just-1-instead-of-14-99-for-unlimit/728129) and have 5 weeks of unlimited rentals meaning we could get through 5 films. :teeth:
Phalanges
Love the thread. :awesome:

Yeah, the idea of the exact same events being looked at from a different perspective is something that really appeals to me, providing they leave enough time after the original. Cloverfield is such a great film (despite being hated by so many people :p:). I'm tempted to get it on Blu Ray now as I only have one BR film currently (The Hurt Locker).

Quite a few Ludlum books are written by ghostwriters. He died in 2001, leaving behind a host of unfinished manuscripts that people tightened up and published, usually anonymously. I don't have a problem with that; indeed, The Ambler Warning was published like that and that is a great book. What I do have a problem with is Lustbader butchering Bourne by whacking out 5 sequels that depict him as some sort of god. Sounds a good documentary though, wish you remembered the name. :p: Oh, and the unusual fighting is a type of Israeli combat called Krav Maga.

Some films aren't worth Blu-ray though. Fight Club and LOTR on Blu-Ray though :coma:

At least it isn't as bad as Tom Clancy. :nothing:

I am searching for it. :teeth: I will not stop until I find it. It was on Channel 5 (?) during the release of the Bourne Ultimatum in the cinemas. You know how they always show the preceding films and do special documentaries as a promotion of sorts.

I will find it!

reems23
The next film I am going to watch is The Godfather II (:shh:). I shall report back with my findings and stuff.

Welcome. I've never watched any of the Godfather movies. :sad:

*awaits flaming*

I feel all the chat that aren't about films currently in the cinema should be merged into this one? It will stop discussions which are aimed at only a select few congesting the forum.

I'm behind this idea but I think the mods will go down the route of that this is the film and cinema subforum and it will be too much work/merging.

woofums

Also having now seen Toy Story 3 twice, I think I prefer the little animation 'day and night' more than the film. It was just really clever, well made and lovely. It's still very Good though :h:.

I found Toy Story 3 to be underwhelming. :sadnod:

Kolya
It's probably appropriate I stick my head into this thread.

Welcome. :hi:
reems23
I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang last night. It was very very cleverly made. It contained death, violence, blood and a certain depth of emotion, however it was juxtaposed very well with a brilliant dark sense of humour which I was laughing out loud to at numerous points, sometimes immediately after an emotionally troubling scene. The story was almost mocking the genre, and at the same time being a part of it in a very real and clever way. Robert Downey Jr does what he does best, very well: being charming, sauve and very likeable. Watch it.

I watched it last week. Thought it was really cleverly made and at times very funny. But for some reason something in it didn't quite do it for me. The plot was going a bit too crazy towards the end I felt, the way everything kept changing, I had trouble keeping up. Could just be me though, maybe I'm just too thick. :biggrin:

Watched The Butterfly Effect the other day. And I can't get it out of my head! Thought it was really well made, the way they managed to get all the different stories in one, etc. I watched the director's cut version, and really liked the ending. Then looked up the theatrical ending, and it sounded a bit lame after watching the other version. People seen the film? What are your thoughts on the different endings, and in general?
Reply 52
Two films that no one I've met has watched but are both amazing:

Half Nelson
Lars and the Real Girl

Enjoy :smile:
Someone explain to me why The Matrix was an awesome film 5 years ago but when I tried to rewatch it last week I just got bored :sad:
kiss_me_now9
Someone explain to me why The Matrix was an awesome film 5 years ago but when I tried to rewatch it last week I just got bored :sad:

It was made in 1999 (so 11 years :p:) and the special effects were deemed to be godly back then. :moon:

Story was good and unique if you are into those sort of sci-fi (slightly thought-provoking) films. I mean, what if we are the in the Matrix right now? :afraid: Additionally, who could forget awesome kung fu fighting in slow motion :awesome:

The sequels however :nn:
Reply 55
I'm definitely in!! Just about to watch my fourth film of the day.
Phalanges
:k:

Guess what I found. :proud:

http://www.five.tv/programmes/documentaries/the-true-story/55644

Now to find a suitable link.

EDIT: Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ4_ch4QaS8

Enjoy :h:
Reply 57
Also for all those who are thinking watching 'The Wave' I'd definitely recommend it. Really great, thought provoking and hey based on a real social experiment.
City of God is also another brilliant film I see being discussed in the thread, would definitely recommend it for those who are intrigued.

Any one here into French or Czech New Wave?
Reply 58
:hi:

This thread looks exciting.

Went to see Inception on monday, Nolan is an incredible genius IMO.
Go to the cinema/wait until it comes out on DVD. I dont care, just watch it.

Going to see Toy Story tonight. In 2D i think.
I've not been impressed with recent 3D films i.e Alice and Wonderland and i've heard the 3D is not that impressive in this either.

So, yeah.
Watch Audition. Watch Battle Royale too, I prefer the second but they're both good. Toy Story 3 was good, it entertained me, made me laugh and I cried towards the end. Difficult to say whether it was great, and comparisons are hard despite trying to watch it as a six-uyear-old. I'm going to see Inception later today hopefully, if not then tomorrow. I need to watch Half Nelson. Might watch the Evil Dead later. And then Cube (and finish solving Rubik's cube). Don't watch Cube 2: Hypercube, do watch Cube Zero. I Spit On Your Grave is surprisingly good: for a film widely banned I had low expectations, fearing a Cannibal Holocaust type shockfest devoid of any acting or a plot, just reams of blood splattered everywhere, but it's qutie well made - the rape isn't very nice but that's the intention, and you feel both for the girl and the autistic nerd pressured into raping and killing her.

I'm not sure what I think of the Godfather films (I and II, no such thing as III), they're obviously fantastically made with great actors, but I'm not sure if I'd bother watching them again, I simply wasn't all that entertained. And now I feel like a cinematic fraud and that I should leave this thread. :frown:

Latest