Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Billy Pilgrim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Let's revive the thread here...

So I watched Videodrome (David Cronenberg) last night. Wow, this is one messed up film, and yet it still manages to be pretty compelling - well until the third act, that is, which I thought confusing and poorly written. And the whole thing's an extended metaphor of course, and a reflection of our TV-dominated society, so that somewhat excuses the crazy gore and sadomasochism.

Has anyone else seen this film and if so what were your thoughts?

Here's a quick taste of the film's disturbing brand of surrealism:

Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
They obviously have all come to read my posts. :holmes:

Ok then, let's step up the difficulty:

Difficult :nooo:

Looks familiar.
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
They obviously have all come to read my posts. :holmes:

Ok then, let's step up the difficulty:
The Wizard of Oz?
zjs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The only guess I can come up with is The Neverending Story :dontknow:
unknownking321
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe? :holmes:
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by matt10101)
I'll start off a discussion now then

Anyone seen City of God?, saw it last week and I have to say that it was one of my favourite films ever, yet no-one i know has ever even heard of it

I suggest you guys go watch it now
Watched it in film studies brilliant film. Plus my Film teacher was from Brazil.
S-man10
Badges: 18
Report 8 years ago
FFS. Started the fun without me..
zjs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Tell me what you think of this thread, film buffs:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post26964254

If possible, give it some traffic.

:love:
common_person
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good Will Hunting was amazing last night. Matt Damon's best thing. And Robin Williams, who is usually horribly annoying but was ok. Dead good script, and Elliott Smith soundtrack :love: Slowed down a bit in the last third or so, but the opening two thirds were so cool it didn't matter at all and I didn't begrudge letting it take its time for a bit. Could've gone really wrong with the character transformation being so drastic, but it was carried off really well. Happy
zjs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by common_person)
Good Will Hunting was amazing last night. Matt Damon's best thing. And Robin Williams, who is usually horribly annoying but was ok. Dead good script, and Elliott Smith soundtrack :love: Slowed down a bit in the last third or so, but the opening two thirds were so cool it didn't matter at all and I didn't begrudge letting it take its time for a bit. Could've gone really wrong with the character transformation being so drastic, but it was carried off really well. Happy
It's a fantastic film, IMO. Was all settled down to watch it and then ended up going out at the last minute for a decidedly average night out. :grumble:
rofflewaffle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I watched this earlier. Love love love.
unknownking321
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've Sky+ it.
common_person
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There's a **** load of films on TV this week that I want to see as well :love: It's so good when TV shows good films. Free films without the guilt :joyman:
unknownking321
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As long as they're on the BBC.
zjs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There's a **** load of films on TV this week that I want to see as well :love: It's so good when TV shows good films. Free films without the guilt :joyman:
Ooh, such as? I'm only on Freeview, and was a little disappointed at this week's selection. Not that they aren't good, it's just that I saw films like Saving Private Ryan (which is on tonight), last week.

I seem to have seen most of them, and the issue is the channel playing decent films, i.e Film4, seems to repeat the same films several times a week.
rofflewaffle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Matrix is on ITV2 tomorrow :coma:.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You all failed. It was Labyrinth (with David Bowie :ahee:).
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thejonsmith)
Tell me what you think of this thread, film buffs:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post26964254

If possible, give it some traffic.

:love:

I'm not sure what you are looking for. :unsure: Do you want films which aren't very acclaimed (guilty pleasures) or hidden gems which are of very good quality?
zjs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not sure what you are looking for. :unsure: Do you want films which aren't very acclaimed (guilty pleasures) or hidden gems which are of very good quality?
Films that aren't acclaimed; as they are relatively unknown or not particularly well publicised, as opposed to guilty pleasures. In other words, films of a high quality that many wouldn't have heard of, whether that's because they weren't acclaimed, or they've just been forgotten about by the public at large.
win2kpro
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You all failed. It was Labyrinth (with David Bowie :ahee:).
Next one?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.35%
Nope, not that interesting (163)
40.35%

Watched Threads