The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
When there's like one join request, I leave it for a while so others may also request to join so I can batch process. But when they don't and I process, you suddenly find another one straight after. Sabotage. :shifty:

Welcome to the society! :h:

We're all nice people. Except maybe Ape.

Mind zoned out of that film. Either lack of sleep or boredom. Guess you can verify after you've seen it. :tongue:

Yay, hello nice people. I only just submitted my join request, did I miss the boat or not?

Also, I saw you just recommended Primer above. Such a good film. An absolute head**** but seriously good. You just reminded me to watch it again, actually.

I've watched three films today. Admittedly, one of them was Hot Tub Time Machine and therefore does not count, but I'd consider myself a bit of a film addict. I can easily watch 15-20 films in one week, especially such a boring week as this one's proving to be :frown:
When there's like one join request, I leave it for a while so others may also request to join so I can batch process. But when they don't and I process, you suddenly find another one straight after. Sabotage. :shifty:

Welcome to the society! :h:

We're all nice people. Except maybe Ape.

hehe thanks :smile:

I watched Snatch recently and feel like watching something similar. Shall I watch Layer Cake or Rocknrolla... or any other suggestions?
Original post by mimimimi
Yay, hello nice people. I only just submitted my join request, did I miss the boat or not?

Also, I saw you just recommended Primer above. Such a good film. An absolute head**** but seriously good. You just reminded me to watch it again, actually.

Yep, you missed the boat. :awesome:

Spoiler

Primer is fantastic. I think I've got myself in the mood to watch it again. :redface: Have you watched Timecrimes? Or Inland Empire?

I've watched three films today. Admittedly, one of them was Hot Tub Time Machine and therefore does not count, but I'd consider myself a bit of a film addict. I can easily watch 15-20 films in one week, especially such a boring week as this one's proving to be :frown:

Spoken like a true fanatic. :moon: Personally, I can't watch that many films. Have trouble finding a film which I like never mind going through 15-20 in a week. :tongue: What were the other two films?

Original post by The Stig

I watched Snatch recently and feel like watching something similar. Shall I watch Layer Cake or Rocknrolla... or any other suggestions?

Layer Cake is a fantastic film although the primary suggestion that springs to mind is Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.
Original post by Phalanges

If I was going to cast anyone else in it, it would be Brad Pitt. The main problem I have with Inception is that it desperately needs some charisma in there. Tom Hardy tries, but he's not on the screen long enough. Pitt would offer a very different take, but one that would improve the film I think.

I rewatched Inception a few days ago. I found myself getting incredibly frustrated towards the end. It was like, me getting annoyed at the fact that Cobb, Mal and Saito were taking ages to get to the point (scene with Cobb and Mal in limbo and scene with Cobb and Saito in Limbo). I mean, I never got annoyed before. Then I started to get frustrated at Nolan's writing with his overly repeating some parts and dragging things out. Dunno why, was just weird. :p:

Also, do you think Di Caprio is steadily declining in terms of his acting? He was great in Titanic and he held his own with De Niro in This Boy's Life, but from films like The Departed onwards to Shutter Island and then Inception, he just seems to be playing as Leonardo Di Caprio. Sure, he takes on some of the things that are important to the characters in those movies, but nothing that can match his earlier days. He's not like a Day Lewis who transforms himself beyond recognition for his roles or even, as you say, Brad Pitt who has got a great deal of variety between his roles.

Layer Cake is a fantastic film although the primary suggestion that springs to mind is Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

I'll give Layer Cake a watch then. I've already seen Lock Stock... great film.
Yep, you missed the boat. :awesome:

Spoiler

Primer is fantastic. I think I've got myself in the mood to watch it again. :redface: Have you watched Timecrimes? Or Inland Empire?

Spoken like a true fanatic. :moon: Personally, I can't watch that many films. Have trouble finding a film which I like never mind going through 15-20 in a week. :tongue: What were the other two films?

"I'll never let go!"

I've not seen Timecrimes or Inland Empire. Timecrimes seems interesting, I may have to check it out... I may as well get it out in the open right now that I can't stand David Lynch, and therefore will not be watching Inland Empire. Sorry :getmecoat:

I never said I liked all the films I watch :tongue: I truly like very few of them in fact. It's also a bit of a problem when I can't even recall whether I've seen a certain film or not - I should probably start noting them down...

The other two films were 127 Hours and A Film With Me In It, both of which I enjoyed in totally different ways. AFWMII is gloriously dark and stars Dylan Moran, if you don't know it. Twas good.
Reply 6026
Red was good fun! A few plot holes and it was hardly the most plausible of story-lines but it was much funnier than I expected. A solid 6.5/7 out of 10 from me. :h:
"I'll never let go!"

I've not seen Timecrimes or Inland Empire. Timecrimes seems interesting, I may have to check it out... I may as well get it out in the open right now that I can't stand David Lynch, and therefore will not be watching Inland Empire. Sorry :getmecoat:

I never said I liked all the films I watch :tongue: I truly like very few of them in fact. It's also a bit of a problem when I can't even recall whether I've seen a certain film or not - I should probably start noting them down...

The other two films were 127 Hours and A Film With Me In It, both of which I enjoyed in totally different ways. AFWMII is gloriously dark and stars Dylan Moran, if you don't know it. Twas good.

David Lynch is god and you must scrabble in the dirt with the rest who cannot understand his work. Go, collect some potatoes, mortal.

Seriously though, why do you not like Lynch? He's a true auteur and has inspired countless directors.

Phalanges
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6028
Original post by The Stig

I struggled to stay awake during Rocknrolla, so it certainly isn't something I'd personally recommend. To my experience, people who like Ritchie also like Tarantino, so Pulp Fiction if you haven't seen it already. On a similar (crime) vein, True Romance and The Departed strike me as having that same light-hearted-enjoyable element.
Just finished watching 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". What a fugging awesome film, I mean, really, that was wonderful. I love Billy and Harding and Danny DeVito doing what Danny DeVito does best.
Original post by Madjackismad
David Lynch is god and you must scrabble in the dirt with the rest who cannot understand his work. Go, collect some potatoes, mortal.

Seriously though, why do you not like Lynch? He's a true auteur and has inspired countless directors.

I know, I know, I've been told all of this before...

...Perhaps I'll try once again to sit through some of his films. I understand that he's inspired a lot of people and that he's an auteur, I just think it's my personal taste. I could say how much I love Wes Anderson and how he's an auteur, but he still gets on a lot of people's nerves.
Reply 6031
Original post by Norfolkadam
Just finished watching 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". What a fugging awesome film, I mean, really, that was wonderful. I love Billy and Harding and Danny DeVito doing what Danny DeVito does best.

:yep: Brilliant movie. I also highly recommend the book.
I know, I know, I've been told all of this before...

...Perhaps I'll try once again to sit through some of his films. I understand that he's inspired a lot of people and that he's an auteur, I just think it's my personal taste. I could say how much I love Wes Anderson and how he's an auteur, but he still gets on a lot of people's nerves.

I was only joking. :p: David Lynch is a very divisive director.

What have you seen though? You should really watch Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive again.
Original post by Abiraleft
I struggled to stay awake during Rocknrolla, so it certainly isn't something I'd personally recommend. To my experience, people who like Ritchie also like Tarantino, so Pulp Fiction if you haven't seen it already. On a similar (crime) vein, True Romance and The Departed strike me as having that same light-hearted-enjoyable element.

The Departed has a light hearted element? I don't think Scorseses was aiming for that. :p:

What do I know though? Shutter Island could be a remake of the Wizard of Oz. :awesome:

True Romance is pretty light hearted though. I mean, a horse running through a shopping centre. :rofl:
Reply 6034
The Departed has a light hearted element? I don't think Scorseses was aiming for that. :p:

I just didn't think it was as heavy as Gangs of New York - but perhaps I'm thinking too relatively within Scorcese movies: I'll admit that it isn't light-hearted at all compared to Snatch...:redface:

What do I know though? Shutter Island could be a remake of the Wizard of Oz. :awesome:

Lol, but I still haven't watched Shutter Island, even though I have the movie. :banghead:

True Romance is pretty light hearted though. I mean, a horse running through a shopping centre. :rofl:

I'll have to admit, I have no clue what you're on about. :confused: You are talking about the '1993 American romance crime film written by Quentin Tarantino and directed by Tony Scott', right?
(edited 13 years ago)

If one more person quotes me to tell me that the films I listed aren't hated by anyone without reading the explanation I've put I may actually go insane.

The very ending with the rat is supposed to be humorous. However I would agree that's not the predominant tone. :p:
how many people here are fans of Tim Burtons' Alice in Wonderland? I just can't bring myself to care about it that much, this is like the first time it's happened with a Tim Burton flick

I dunno, it seems distant from his 'dark, gothic' work, the characters look more comical and zany than dark to me, meh I thought I would like it
Reply 6037
Original post by Phalanges

The very ending with the rat is supposed to be humorous. However I would agree that's not the predominant tone. :p:

Well, apart from the

Spoiler

I can't think of any part of the movie that was particularly serious or heavy. I cracked up every time Mark Wahlberg said anything. :dontknow:
Original post by Abiraleft
Well, apart from the

Spoiler

I can't think of any part of the movie that was particularly serious or heavy. I cracked up every time Mark Wahlberg said anything. :dontknow:

I laughed continuously through The Departed the first time I watched it, was made even funnier cos I was watching it with an aunt that was kinda averse to swearing and crude language, I still think it's one of the funniest films I've ever seen xD
I was only joking. :p: David Lynch is a very divisive director.

What have you seen though? You should really watch Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive again.

I've seen Blue Velvet and Eraserhead. Those were enough to decide I didn't like him...

I'll try out Mulholland Drive, actually, I never gave it a chance despite the fact I've heard it's amazing. I'll report back with my findings :tongue:

Latest