The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6340
Clive Owen is wearing a London 2012 jumper in Children of Men. Nice touch.
Original post by channy
Oh okay, heh.

Bloody fox. They aren't affiliated with Fox news in any way are they? Just looking for another reason to be mad...

Although violence could, and probably should be used, it shouldn't be used needlessly, it must be used to drive the plot forward, and should never be used for entertainments sake. Á la Watchmen: some of the fighting seats were neat, but were they really necessary for plot and atmosphere? Nothing disgusts me more than needless violence in films. I hope to god they don't throw in a handful of "hack and slash" routines in this one too.
I wouldn't mind violence in short, snapping glimpses, like some of the scenes in Requiem and Pi.

Yeah it's a subsidiary of Fox news corporation.

I think i'd like to explore other X-men characters before returning to Wolverine again. The character has received most of the exposure from all the films and we've been left with the other characters been given little more than a shallow glance.
Original post by Phalanges
Oh no, I don't think it will be the end of him as an auteur - if anything quite the opposite. He was trundling along nicely along a career path, getting lots of critical acclaim and is all poised now to go big-budget. This level of interference will put him off for a long time and he'll retreat to making indie films, stalling his career for a bit.

There's no way Fox are going to let him do what he wants, and he must know that. Beyond a big paycheck, I really can't see what he'd be getting out of it.

I think there can be just as much of a challenge for an 'auteur' in doing a film within the studio system and its limitations. Nolan's already been brought up, but what about Tim Burton, from the earlier Batman series? Now, I have nearly no respect for the man's work (Ed Wood is probably the only film of his I love), but his career is pretty much comprised entirely of fairly 'mainstream' fare that people think still have some intellectual merit.

Sam Raimi's another example from superhero films. While he didn't exactly create high art, he made the films he wanted to make at the start of his career (the fun, schlocky horror stuff and Darkman, which had it's flaws but will still interesting and unique). He eventually moved on to the Spider-Man series, which, were it not for the third instalment, would probably be one of the most (justifiably) acclaimed series of all time.

Conversely, letting a film-maker do exactly what he wants all the time is not necessarily a great idea. Look at Woody Allen, the darling of late 70's, early 80's cinema. He's been making films with no artistic barriers for the last two decades at a rate of roughly one picture a year. How many of them were worth a damn? Even his most beloved film (Annie Hall) only exists in its current form because someone from the studio advised him to focus on the romance instead of his allegedly ridiculous mystery plot.

Rules can be good for a director. Invigorating, even. Not a ridiculous, Hays-esque code of conduct that inhibits all creativity, obviously, but some sort of guidance from the studio system isn't always a bad thing. Frankly, if any director is up to the task of making a truly great film with these limitations (while not coming out entirely jaded and miserable) it's probably Aronofsky.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6343
Original post by channy
Although if Black Swan is anything to go by, I don't think he'll frack it up.

just watch it, Black Swan is amazing, one of the best movies of 2010, i know its 2011 but am putting it in the 2010 category as it will be competing with 2010 movies for oscars, and its a nomi certifield..
Original post by Christien
I think there can be just as much of a challenge for an 'auteur' in doing a film within the studio system and its limitations. Nolan's already been brought up, but what about Tim Burton, from the earlier Batman series? Now, I have nearly no respect for the man's work (Ed Wood is probably the only film of his I love), but his career is pretty much comprised entirely of fairly 'mainstream' fare that people think still have some intellectual merit.

Sam Raimi's another example from superhero films. While he didn't exactly create high art, he made the films he wanted at the start of his career (the fun, schlocky horror stuff and Darkman, which had it's flaws but will still interesting and unique). He eventually moved on to the Spider-Man series, which, were it not for the third instalment, would probably be one of the most (justifiably) acclaimed series of all time.

Letting a film-maker do exactly what he wants all the time is not necessarily a great idea. Look at Woody Allen. The darling of late 70's, early 80's cinema, and for good reason. He's been making films with no artistic barriers for the last two decades at a rate of roughly one picture a year. How many of them were worth a damn? Even his most beloved film (Annie Hall) only exists in its current form because someone from the studio advised him to focus on the romance instead of his allegedly ridiculous mystery plot.

Rules can be good for a director. Invigorating, even. Not a ridiculous, Hays-esque code of conduct that inhibits all creativity, obviously, but some sort of guidance from the studio system isn't always a bad thing. Frankly, if any director is up to the task of making a truly great film with these limitations (while not coming out entirely jaded and miserable) it's probably Aronofsky.

Spiderman 1 and 2 weren't as bad as 3, but I'd say they were both pretty forgettable films.
Original post by Jace Falco
Spiderman 1 and 2 weren't as bad as 3, but I'd say they were both pretty forgettable films.

I think they're quite important films, in terms of the progress of comic book films from 'children's nonsense' to being accepted as having potential artistic value. Got the balance of story/character development and action right, at any rate. And I actively hate Spider-Man as a superhero.
Original post by Christien
I think they're quite important films, in terms of the progress of comic book films from 'children's nonsense' to being accepted as having potential artistic value. Got the balance of story/character development and action right, at any rate. And I actively hate Spider-Man as a superhero.

The Batman and Iron Man films could have made that progress without Raimi's Spiderman. Both of them are infinitely superior.

I found all of the characters in the Spiderman films boring, annoying, unrealistic or some combination thereof (with the possible exception of J. Jonah Jameson, who I found unrealistic but hilarious). The plots aren't believable, and the effects are laughable. If Spiderman 4 hadn't been cancelled, I would have ignored it, which is saying something for me concerning a superhero movie.
Reply 6347
Original post by andyb86
just watch it, Black Swan is amazing, one of the best movies of 2010, i know its 2011 but am putting it in the 2010 category as it will be competing with 2010 movies for oscars, and its a nomi certifield..

I know :wink:
Black Swan is definetly a must see! as is Due Date. Robert Downey Jr is on the top of his game at the moment! :smile: cant wait until Sherlock Holmes 2! he is a very talented man! and not to mention georgous! :biggrin: he has had so many amazing films one of them being Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, if you havent seen it you should definetly watch it! :biggrin: Val Kilmer is amazing in it! But i have to say Tombstone is Val Kilmer's best work to date! i must admit MacGruber was a little but of a fail, but i look forward to seeing Kilmer in more amazing films in the future!
and i cant wait for The Green Hornet! im going to see that for sure! :biggrin:
Bond has been confirmed for November 2012, with Mendes and Craig attached. Good news.
I can't wait for Hobbit to come out. :smile: 2012!!
I got extremely annoyed at the uproar from lotr fans when it was announced that Bloom, Blanchett and Wood would all have a role in 'The Hobbit'.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6352
20 minutes into "Ransom" and I realise I've seen it before :facepalm2:

****ing hate it when that happens :colonhash:
Reply 6353
Original post by Deshi
20 minutes into "Ransom" and I realise I've seen it before :facepalm2:

****ing hate it when that happens :colonhash:

Mel Gibson is so badass in that film.

"GIVE ME BACK MY SON!"

I might watch it again now.
Further to my earlier comment regarding The Hobbit and peoples complaints, here is a very interesting article explaining why Peter Jackson is probably doing the book more justice than even the fans:
Is Peter Jackson Screwing Up The Hobbit?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6355
Seeing The King's Speech tonight, VERY excited! :h:
Original post by cambo211
Further to my earlier comment regarding The Hobbit and peoples complaints, here is a very interesting article explaining why Peter Jackson is probably doing the book more justice than even the fans:
Is Peter Jackson Screwing Up The Hobbit?

My initial reaction when you mentioned that those three were in it was 'wut?', but that article does make sense of it.
Peter Jackson can do no wrong in the LOTR universe and mythos. I have faith. :adore:
Reply 6358
As long as Brian Blessed is cast, I will die gay.
Original post by channy
Yes (don't mention the others in the "trilogy and +"). Foundation, aye. Just finished reading Slaughterhouse Five, even though I should be revising. Currently waiting to read after exams: Neuromancer, Rendezvous with Rama, Stranger in a Strange Land and Brave New World.

A very well done short film on Rendezvous with Rama.

I'm actually working my way towards getting all the SF Masterworks. Last time I checked I'm around the 20-25 mark, my bookshelves are a mess though. I need to tidy them, but every time I look at it...no way am I tackling that on my own.

A lot of space opera. :holmes: Not sure if you like hard science fiction but Revelation Space is the pinnacle of that genre. You may also be interested in Ringworld, Hyperion, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Ender's Game. Satire science fiction like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy goes without saying. You have Neuromancer on your reading list too, still got to read that, heard great things. :teeth:

Brave New World :gah: not as good as We, Utopia, A Handmaid's Tale, Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 but still a good novel in the genre. Lots of promiscuous activity. :sexface:

Original post by Madjackismad
Do it. :teeth:

Jeez, watch The Sopranos.

Kidding (though you really should watch it). Breaking Bad has Hal from Malcolm in the Middle. The actor also won the emmy for best actor three years in a row for Breaking Bad. :awesome:

Do the awards or watch Breaking Bad? :tongue:

Shows like The Sopranos look so ... all encompassing that it's best to get the little shows out of the way first.

Season 3 of Lost so far. :smug:

Latest