The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9120
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Hehe :smile: good night to watch it with Christian Bale winning his Oscar!

He is truly amazing.

As is his beard :P
The Oscars was good, still kinda disappointed that Banksy didn't win. I would have loved to have seen what was going to happen for that.
So the only real surprises were cinematography, director and foreign language film.

Director is bull****, seeing as Hooper wasn't in the top 6 directors of the year, but I guess it was to be expected. Cinematography pushed Inception up to as many Oscars as King's Speech, which is kind of cool. But the real big surprise is in foreign language film. I was sure it was going to go to Biutiful, and if not that then Dogtooth. And it goes to something I've never even heard of! Has anyone seen In a Better World?

Very pleased for Inside Job though, I thought the Academy might cave for a moment and go to the "cooler" option.
I wasn't that surprised about the foreign language film since Ebert (I think or it must have been another critic) predicted that it would go to In a Better World. :yes:
Original post by unknownking321

I wasn't that surprised about the foreign language film since Ebert (I think or it must have been another critic) predicted that it would go to In a Better World. :yes:

Hmmm, it also won at the Globes it seems. Must have missed that.
Now to focus on the next big and upcoming movie awards, the MTV movie awards in May
I think Firth, Mirren and Blanchette should stay in Hollywood and provide the locals their British royalty fix. :yes: Does anyone agree?
Original post by Phalanges
Hmmm, it also won at the Globes it seems. Must have missed that.

I've yet to watch The Cove but have you read this article by Guardian? I plan to watch it tomorrow or soon since More4 are showing it.
Meh, The Social Network will be rembered in the future; The King's Speech won't be remembered as much.

I've yet to watch The Cove but have you read this article by Guardian? I plan to watch it tomorrow or soon since More4 are showing it.

I hadn't seen that article, no. It seems pretty in keeping with the tone of the film, he isn't trying to villainise the Japanese public who are just as ignorant of what's going on as the rest of the world.

And it's a very good doc, I highly recommend it (the first time I watched it was when More4 were showing it :cool:).
Well, there have been both less and more deserving Best Picture winners in recent years. It was the 'safe' and predictable pick, but it's not totally horrifically bad like Shakespeare in Love or anything (seriously, just saying the title of that film fills me with an unknowable hate).

Also, it seems Roger Deakins is going to die alone and unappreciated. :colonhash:
Reply 9131
Original post by Madjackismad
Meh, The Social Network will be rembered in the future; The King's Speech won't be remembered as much.

I don't think either will be remembered as much as Inception, though, I think that's a movie that's really struck the public chord.
Original post by mimimimi
Surprisingly little activity on here considering it was Oscar night!

Congratulations, The King's Speech :biggrin:

All the activity was in the Oscars thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1557328 :tongue:
Original post by Christien
Well, there have been both less and more deserving Best Picture winners in recent years. It was the 'safe' and predictable pick, but it's not totally horrifically bad like Shakespeare in Love or anything (seriously, just saying the title of that film fills me with an unknowable hate).

Shakespeare in Love got an Oscar for Best Film over Saving Private Ryan? :lolwut:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Shakespeare in Love got an Oscar for Best Film over Saving Private Ryan? :lolwut:

And Life is Beautiful. And The Truman Show and American History X weren't even nominated. Basically, our world is doomed.
Original post by Abiraleft

I don't think either will be remembered as much as Inception, though, I think that's a movie that's really struck the public chord.

I'd wager that Scott Pilgrim, Inception and Shutter Island will be the big three that stick around long term.
SP will have a persistent cult audience in the vein of Rocky Horror, and Inception will be rightly remembered as a classic. Shutter Island? I don't know so much. It's a very good film, but I doubt it'll become embedded in the popular consciousness like Scorsese's other work.
I still haven't seen Shutter Island yet.

It comes onto skyplayer on friday i think so i will then :h:

The Social Network will definitely be remembered as much as Inception. People in the future will look back on The Social Network, purely to see the story of Facebook which can only continue to grow (it's at 590 million users now).
Original post by Christien
SP will have a persistent cult audience in the vein of Rocky Horror, and Inception will be rightly remembered as a classic. Shutter Island? I don't know so much. It's a very good film, but I doubt it'll become embedded in the popular consciousness like Scorsese's other work.

I was thinking more like Tron than Rock Horror tbh.

Latest