The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
Madjackismad
Is Shutter Island any good? :holmes:

It's not amazing but it's certainly worth watching.
thejonsmith
Anchorman: opinions? :holmes:

It's very funny. It's not as good as the likes of Airplane and Dodgeball, but it's still worth a watch.

Madjackismad

Yeah it is. :beard: Good acting, and the film looks stunning.
Reply 1342
Phalanges
It's very funny. It's not as good as the likes of Airplane and Dodgeball, but it's still worth a watch.

Ooh, see, I have to disagree there. I liked Dodgeball, especially when I was younger and it was a film that was on tv a fair bit, but I don't think it's anything special. In the same way, although Airplane! is always rated to be one of the best comedies... I find it very basic and full of the sort of gags that wouldn't be as funny now.

Though I still think Anchorman is massively overrated, in relation to other Apatow films especially.
thejonsmith
Ooh, see, I have to disagree there. I liked Dodgeball, especially when I was younger and it was a film that was on tv a fair bit, but I don't think it's anything special. In the same way, although Airplane! is always rated to be one of the best comedies... I find it very basic and full of the sort of gags that wouldn't be as funny now.

Though I still think Anchorman is massively overrated, in relation to other Apatow films especially.

Nah, they're two of the best comedies around. Their humour is basic, but it's very good. Airplane is probably my favourite comedy, the joke rate in it is staggering in certain scenes. I remember Dodgeball also being great, although I haven't seen it recently so I might have grown out of it.
Reply 1344
Phalanges
Nah, they're two of the best comedies around. Their humour is basic, but it's very good. Airplane is probably my favourite comedy, the joke rate in it is staggering in certain scenes. I remember Dodgeball also being great, although I haven't seen it recently so I might have grown out of it.

I think the sheer volume of jokes in Airplane almost counts against it. :beard:

Have you seen Porky's? Excellent comedy, fairly old school.
thejonsmith
I think the sheer volume of jokes in Airplane almost counts against it. :beard:

Have you seen Porky's? Excellent comedy, fairly old school.

Yeah I have, that's another great film - American Pie owes a lot to it.
Reply 1346
It's raining, I've ordered pizza and I have Event Horizon to watch. I will enjoy tonight.
I am currently on a House M.D. kick. Finished season 4 in 2 days.
Reply 1348
I remember The Good Shepherd arriving from LoveFilm, and I've yet to see it... worth a watch?

The rain is like monsoon rain, it's ******* ridiculous.
This rain is terrible. :colonhash: I need to go out and get some experience on my new road bike, and as it is I'm probably just going to have to go to the gym tomorrow instead.

I remember the Good Shepherd being reasonably good, but nothing particularly exceptional sticks in my mind.
Reply 1350
Phalanges
This rain is terrible. :colonhash: I need to go out and get some experience on my new road bike, and as it is I'm probably just going to have to go to the gym tomorrow instead.

I remember the Good Shepherd being reasonably good, but nothing particularly exceptional sticks in my mind.

New road bike? Ooh lah de da :camp:

How much was the road bike then?

I was considering watching it anyway, as there are no other films on Freeview tonight at 9, or even 10 particularly, and I watched Anchorman last week (about the only potential option for freeview's wednesday films).
thejonsmith
New road bike? Ooh lah de da :camp:

How much was the road bike then?

Lol, reading that back it does sound a bit poncy. :colondollar:

I got it for half price, so around £250 (but it will probably go up to about £300 once I've changed a few components).
Reply 1352
Madjackismad

Thought I was going to hate it and only went to see it because of Leo (LOVE him), but came out having really enjoyed it. Definitely worth a watch. :h:
Reply 1353
Next time, can we not pick a film to review which makes me nauseas by the 30 minute mark?
Reply 1354
Phalanges
Lol, reading that back it does sound a bit poncy. :colondollar:

I got it for half price, so around £250 (but it will probably go up to about £300 once I've changed a few components).

That's just over what I paid for a mountain bike with hybrid tyres a while back... not the biggest fan of road tyres, just because you can't take it anywhere that isn't slickly tarmaced.

Planning on reselling?
reems23
Next time, can we not pick a film to review which makes me feel nauseas by the 30 minute mark?

You win, you pick. :smile:
Reply 1356
S-man10
You win, you pick. :smile:

I'll do my best then :horse:.
reems23
I'll do my best then :horse:.

Good luck.:biggrin:
Madjackismad

It's good, not exactly Scorcese's best though, so don't watch it with too high expectations.
Apparently someone quoted me for the caption contest but the post isn't here.

CLUE 1: It's a documentary.
CLUE 2: Directed by famous German director.

Latest