Turn on thread page Beta

£5,000 electric car subsidy saved by government watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Motorists who buy an electric plug-in car from January next year will get a grant worth up to £5,000 from the government.

The project was announced by Labour but placed on hold by the coalition until the autumn spending review.

Now the Treasury has taken the highly unusual step of agreeing to ring fence the money from any cuts.

Carmakers had been putting pressure on the new government to announce what was happening to the electric car subsidy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10783287

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    The cost of electric cars is artificially high. The Oil companies will not let them to get a strong hold in the market for obvious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The G Doctor)
    The cost of electric cars is artificially high. The Oil companies will not let them to get a strong hold in the market for obvious reasons.
    For the moment only. The oil companies will be at the forefront of the market when the turnover phase comes. There's no demand currently which is why it's artificially high, not to mention the infrastructure issues. Once the demand grows and the profit threshold between oil and electric is passed, the corporations will dip into the electric market and lead it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't understand why oil companies aren't investing all their capital into wind/solar/tidal farms. It isn't as thought oil is a safe bet! £13bn would have built a lot of wind farms for BP, instead of having to pay compensation claims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunkd)
    I can't understand why oil companies aren't investing all their capital into wind/solar/tidal farms. It isn't as thought oil is a safe bet! £13bn would have built a lot of wind farms for BP, instead of having to pay compensation claims.

becasue contracts have been signed, they need to plunder all the oil before any new technology takes over.

ReputationRep:
    I'm mixed. On one hand, it's good to try and raise demand for these cars. On the other hand, with all the cuts it would be better to try and spend money to help support the poor, not people who are able to afford these cars. Though £43 million isn't an awful lot so it's ok I guess

(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Motorists who buy an electric plug-in car from January next year will get a grant worth up to £5,000 from the government.

The project was announced by Labour but placed on hold by the coalition until the autumn spending review.

Now the Treasury has taken the highly unusual step of agreeing to ring fence the money from any cuts.

Carmakers had been putting pressure on the new government to announce what was happening to the electric car subsidy.

Thoughts?
    Where's the energy for keeping these cars running going to come from? We already have enough problems with keeping up with current demands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Where's the energy for keeping these cars running going to come from? We already have enough problems with keeping up with current demands.
    Easy. Just plug in to any outlet and freshly made electric comes out the 3 little holes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Roshi)
    I'm mixed. On one hand, it's good to try and raise demand for these cars. On the other hand, with all the cuts it would be better to try and spend money to help support the poor, not people who are able to afford these cars. Though £43 million isn't an awful lot so it's ok I guess
    Not sure if I agree that its good to artificially raise demand for a product using taxpayers money.

(Original post by Howard)
    Easy. Just plug in to any outlet and freshly made electric comes out the 3 little holes.
    Hahaha...yeah, it seems that's what the government thinks too.

Comes from fresh air, eh?

ReputationRep:
    If the government is desperate to come across as all environmentally friendly they should give subsidies to firms researching real alternatives to petrol/diesel such as hydrogen. Electric cars are just not a viable alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Hahaha...yeah, it seems that's what the government thinks too.

Comes from fresh air, eh?
    Well, it does - quite literally - if you use my beautiful wind turbines to make it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)

Thoughts?
    Thats all you need to know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomassss)
    Thats all you need to know
    Did you bother to read the second part of that sentence? They wanted to know what was going to happen...

I'm mixed on the subject. The Tory in me says we should just let the free market apply; but I think subsidising green transport is a good thing.

Well, it does - quite literally - if you use my beautiful wind turbines to make it.
    Show me a picture of your supposed 'beautiful wind turbines' 'cos as far as I'm concerned there ain't such a fing.

Go on - I dare you...in fact, I double dare you. Harrumph...

ReputationRep:
    UK electricity is at least 90% coal/gas/oil according to Google. If you factor the inefficiency of transforming that to motor power, I highly suspect that they are considerably worst for the environment right now. At the very least, unnecessary. Which makes me suspect a lack of demand for them rather then a plot by oil companies.

That's not to say they aren't a great idea, or that there won't be a demand when oil prices climb, and when the technology has been developed further. But when that happens I highly doubt the government will need to subsidize them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    If the government is desperate to come across as all environmentally friendly they should give subsidies to firms researching real alternatives to petrol/diesel such as hydrogen. Electric cars are just not a viable alternative.
    Good point. I was thinking subsidies might be good simply to encourage future development, but in that case they might as-well just fund the researchers directly like you said. And skip wasting energy by making thousands of useless cars.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if I agree that its good to artificially raise demand for a product using taxpayers money.
    Damn right.

ReputationRep:
    That's unfortunate. Electric cars are a dead-end technology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J1812)
    Good point. I was thinking subsidies might be good simply to encourage future development, but in that case they might as-well just fund the researchers directly like you said. And skip wasting energy by making thousands of useless cars.
    That would promote unfair competition and I think is morally wrong. How can you give taxpayers money to fund a private company's research?

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.