Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been having really bad anxiety attacks when I think about results day (next week) and I break out in rashes all over my arms/back. Sometimes I panic and/or have horrible dreams too. I also find myself getting quite irritable/up-tight over the smallest things.

Is there a way to reduce the anxiety? I've tried "not thinking about it", whatever that means. Relaxing didn't work, either. My friend suggested either reading or doing complex maths problems, but I just can't concentrate for that.

ReputationRep:
    yes.

Think how bad your scores will be.

ReputationRep:
    Find yourself a decent vice. Heavy drinking and/or chain smoking should do nicely.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel, I can't imagine how you'll feel when you open the results envelope. But they say it's a good thing, usually people who feel such things have worked really hard and actually care about their studies.

ReputationRep:
    Same here! It effects my sleeping too... I manage to distract myself sufficiently in the day time, but at night there's nothing to do, and I get these bad anxiety attacks.

It really doesn't help when people say "oh, you'll do fine, your grades will be fine", because they really don't know -_____-
    Grrrrrr

Maybe go to the doctors' though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shambaby)
    Same here! It effects my sleeping too... I manage to distract myself sufficiently in the day time, but at night there's nothing to do, and I get these bad anxiety attacks.

It really doesn't help when people say "oh, you'll do fine, your grades will be fine", because they really don't know -_____-
    Grrrrrr

Maybe go to the doctors' though?
    Nah, I don't think the doctor can do much but forward me to a therapist. And yeah, it sucks ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bipolar Dipole)
    Nah, I don't think the doctor can do much but forward me to a therapist. And yeah, it sucks ass.
    Why go to the doctor? It will all be over next week.

ReputationRep:
    I've been having really bad anxiety attacks when I think about results day (next week) and I break out in rashes all over my arms/back. Sometimes I panic and/or have horrible dreams too. I also find myself getting quite irritable/up-tight over the smallest things.

Is there a way to reduce the anxiety? I've tried "not thinking about it", whatever that means. Relaxing didn't work, either. My friend suggested either reading or doing complex maths problems, but I just can't concentrate for that.
    Hmm, i'm not sure exactly how bad you're having them. But if you really cannot cope then you can always see your GP. I was prescribed with some beta blockers to help with anxiety/depression.

If you don't want to go down that path.. distraction. Go out with your friends, forget about it, honestly. Theres nothing you can do now, good or bad, so forget about it. And even if they aren't what you hope for, its honestly not a big deal, theres so much you can do to fix them, or carry on anyway

Chill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R)
    Why go to the doctor? It will all be over next week.
    That's what I meant.

I keep on telling myself that regardless of what I get, I'll be young, fit and healthy. Even this doesn't work, anymore.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I meant.

I keep on telling myself that regardless of what I get, I'll be young, fit and healthy. Even this doesn't work, anymore.
    What is your offer, how likely are you to meet it, where are you going if you do meet it, and where are you going if you don't? Because I don't worry about my results as i believe i'm likely to meet the offer. So maybe you are worrying over nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R)
    What is your offer, how likely are you to meet it, where are you going if you do meet it, and where are you going if you don't? Because I don't worry about my results as i believe i'm likely to meet the offer. So maybe you are worrying over nothing.
    I don't think I'll meet my offer cos of maths. And I remember feeling a bit iffy coming out of other exams too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure if i'll meet my offer too. I'm scared. Plus i don't have an insurance Looks like clearing for me......

I hate when people ask me what i'm doing this year, i can't possibly know if i don't know my grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkmonkey3)
    I'm unsure if i'll meet my offer too. I'm scared. Plus i don't have an insurance Looks like clearing for me......

I hate when people ask me what i'm doing this year, i can't possibly know if i don't know my grades!
    This. What I'm really dreading is resitting, because I'll have to do totally different courses and I just don't know if I can be bothered going through it all...again. I'd like to take a year out and get away from studying and exams, but no one is for having it apparently.

ReputationRep:
    This. What I'm really dreading is resitting, because I'll have to do totally different courses and I just don't know if I can be bothered going through it all...again. I'd like to take a year out and get away from studying and exams, but no one is for having it apparently.
    But in the end, it's your life and your decision.

Some people use gap years to better themselves.

others just sit around and sometimes decide not to go to uni at all.

My mentality is that the grades won't change now no matter how much i worry... so why worry. Worst for me is clearing or gap year... and they're not even bad options tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'll meet my offer cos of maths. And I remember feeling a bit iffy coming out of other exams too.
    Not being accusatory or anything, but why didn't you apply to unis and courses where you would be sure of meeting the offer? Or was it just a unexpected exam **** up in maths?

ReputationRep:
    Is there a way to reduce the anxiety?
    Considering you said you can get uptight about lots of small things, u may have general anxiety stuff. I suffer from high anxiety levels, and i'd suggest seeing your GP about it.

Tell them what makes you anxious and your symptoms. Then they can tell you what your options are.

I'm doing counselling atm, and i know it doesn't suit everyone, but it's done me a lot of good so far =]

You can take things like herbal remedies, pills etc, but persoanlly i think it's better to remove the source of the problem, instead of trying to avoid it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2010
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.