This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
well, thats discrimination, you are discriminating on the basis of geography and relative wealth.
The latter is, not the former, the former is circumstance, the circumstance of southerners being richer than northerners (barring a few exceptions like Cheshire). What's wrong with discriminating based on wealth?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
There is a moral obligation for (most) people to not drive the poorer even poorer.
Exaclty from reading some of these threads you get the impression people want the poor to become poorer. I am glad to see not everybody has that view.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
The latter is, not the former, the former is circumstance, the circumstance of southerners being richer than northerners (barring a few exceptions like Cheshire). What's wrong with discriminating based on wealth?
exaclty - so if i said lets give all the nordic men more money, you would claim thats discrimination. its not circumstance, actually the north used to be richer - they need more entrepeuneurial spirit. London is fu8ked as it is, it needs its money, if you give it to the north, im sure it will end up being wasted on a new bypass or something.

whats wrong with discrimination, so its alright on some criteria but not on others, is it?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
exaclty - so if i said lets give all the nordic men more money, you would claim thats discrimination. its not circumstance, actually the north used to be richer - they need more entrepeuneurial spirit. London is fu8ked as it is, it needs its money, if you give it to the north, im sure it will end up being wasted on a new bypass or something.

whats wrong with discrimination, so its alright on some criteria but not on others, is it?
haha lets give all the money to south, they can waste on the things like the Millenium Dome and other stupid wasteful projects.
pkonline
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
and, they benefit the same (actually rich probably less so) so in reality it should be a set amount. not a set proportion, let alone double the set proportion.
A set amount would mean either too much for poorer pple or too little for richer pple.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
haha lets give all the money to south, they can waste on the things like the Millenium Dome and other stupid wasteful projects.
that wasnt the south it was the government therefore technically the whole country. London does useful things like painting roads red and rephasing the traffic lights.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pkonline)
A set amount would mean either too much for poorer pple or too little for richer pple.
well it would be the most equal tax and everyone wants equality. especially as theoretically everyone benefits equally. The poor in social security, the rich in police protection
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Governments target is usually to maxamise social welfare (in economic terms)...surely equality falls under that
no, maxsimise social welfare - well it depends on your interpretation like the 2nd amendment.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
that wasnt the south it was the government therefore technically the whole country. London does useful things like painting roads red and rephasing the traffic lights.
Yea and making traffic wardens fine you if you park too far away from the kirb. haha... although i think thats gona happen all over the country 'to increase traffic flow' :rolleyes:
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)

Nordic men? What? Please explain.

Used to be, isn't anymore. THe reason the north remains poor is because our talent moves down South, anybody with a bit of enterprise, or some brains will triple their salary and move down South. London isn't ****ed, London is very wealthy, it can support its projects, whether it can police them is another matter. The North is actually underfunded in many places. You're sure it will end up being wasted on a new bypass or something? What the hell? What's wrong with building bypasses?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Matt the cat)
Yea and making traffic wardens fine you if you park too far away from the kirb. haha... although i think thats gona happen all over the country 'to increase traffic flow' :rolleyes:
thats the government
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
well it would be the most equal tax and everyone wants equality. especially as theoretically everyone benefits equally. The poor in social security, the rich in police protection
Well taxation and welfare is a mechanism to achieve equality. That's the bigger picture. Everyone contributing the same would leave the welfare state with nothing as the tax would be very low to whatever the poorest could afford. Doesn't make economic sense.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Exaclty from reading some of these threads you get the impression people want the poor to become poorer. I am glad to see not everybody has that view.
theres nothing wrong with that, you just shouldnt make the rich poorer to make the poor richer
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
thats the government
Sorry i didn't read above, just clicked on last page... last post (infact i still haven't read above, just last page and last post, maybe i should...)
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
So you are happy to see the poor become even poorer and people fall below the poverty line? Your morality worries me.
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
theres nothing wrong with that, you just shouldnt make the rich poorer to make the poor richer
Then how do you make the poorer richer?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Say you were to use a regressive tax system, and the proportion was set at 20%.

20% off £18 000 would be £14 400, that's very hard to live on
20% off £1 million is 0.8 million, still very comfortable living.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
Yes you should, because it is based on every penny over the threshold, they still do maintain there standard of living. There living standard is still high with the tax, however making the poor richer improves theres.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Nordic men? What? Please explain.

Used to be, isn't anymore. THe reason the north remains poor is because our talent moves down South, anybody with a bit of enterprise, or some brains will triple their salary and move down South. London isn't ****ed, London is very wealthy, it can support its projects, whether it can police them is another matter. The North is actually underfunded in many places. You're sure it will end up being wasted on a new bypass or something? What the hell? What's wrong with building bypasses?
nordic men (hitler's ideas of aryans). Once you have the infrastructure to take wealth and give it to someone, are you sure that is not going to be misappropriated, like the NAzis did.

Talent moves down south, london is ****ed, i dont know where you live, but if you walk around it, it is grotty, grimy and actually very poor in some areas. (its the same where i have been in the north). London can support its projects and police them although it is the same conditions in the north. bypasses are useless and exorbitantly expensive. bring on the private toll roads.
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Income inequality is the fundamental misallocation of resources. A single mum on £60 benefits gains a lot more marginal utility from an extra £1 than a company director on £200 000 a year. Hence reallocate that money, makes perfect economic sense.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (540)
66.58%
No (271)
33.42%

Watched Threads