This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But surely if you want to suceed class should not matter?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Your parents have marine biology degrees, that doesn't compare to a girl who has to support herself at 16 by working in poundstretcher to pay her rent for the flat she's living in because her parents kicked her out, furthermore with no prospects because she has no GCSEs. Does it? Not being able to afford a fabulous social life is still not even on the scale of financial stress.

I really have forgotten what the point was, am just so riled up by your failure to appreciate certain things.
and my grandparents slaved to get them those degrees, and im not saying it does compare, i am saying it was not easy for my parents either, it may not have been as hard as this girl. Although why did hse get kicked out at 16, i have never met of heard of anyone like that. My parents could not afford a social life, they had a better one when they were students. Both of my parents are totally self made is the point i was trying to say.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
But surely if you want to suceed class should not matter?
no, he said that the drive to succeed came of being labelled a certain class. Maybe all those with the drive to succeed are labelled. How did the 16 yr old girl get in that position.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
no, he said that the drive to succeed came of being labelled a certain class. Maybe all those with the drive to succeed are labelled. How did the 16 yr old girl get in that position and she could probably apply to be adopted as she is still udner 18. I fail to understand why she works in poundstretcher anyway.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
16 year old got in that position by being unfortunate enough to be born into a family who doesn't care, and doesn't want her around. Happens all the time in the inner cities. She works in poundstretcher because that's the only place who will employ her with no GCSEs. I know you're going to ask why she doesn't have any GCSEs, and that's because she attended a failing school, and her family life was so bad it became a distraction.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
16 year old got in that position by being unfortunate enough to be born into a family who doesn't care, and doesn't want her around. Happens all the time in the inner cities. She works in poundstretcher because that's the only place who will employ her with no GCSEs. I know you're going to ask why she doesn't have any GCSEs, and that's because she attended a failing school, and her family life was so bad it became a distraction.
what about her GCEs and GNVQs, muppet, and how can she afford a flat then?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Forget this muppetry - to be honest it was a crap example. As I said we shouldnt judge each other on our problems and you cant compare apples and oranges. Fact is there are people like in wife swap who manage to earn more than hard-working people through benefit fraud. Therefore dont get sanctimonious about unfortunate teenagers - its their problem or perhaps the government's
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
what about her GCEs and GNVQs, muppet, and how can she afford a flat then?
She isnt' doing GCEs/GNVQs, she can't afford to (especially if you take away EMA/benefits). She can afford a flat because flats are really not that expensive in such areas.

Hoorah, I've found a way to link back to the original point. Do you think this girl should have to pay the same proportion of income as a millionaire, given that losing say 20% of her income would cripple her so much it hurts to imagine it?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
She isnt' doing GCEs/GNVQs, she can't afford to (especially if you take away EMA/benefits). She can afford a flat because flats are really not that expensive in such areas.

Hoorah, I've found a way to link back to the original point. Do you think this girl should have to pay the same proportion of income as a millionaire, given that losing say 20% of her income would cripple her so much it hurts to imagine it?
irrelevent because their is a lower tax free limit of £4,000 or so. And yes she should, but because there is income tax she will get government help. Scrap both and see how well she will do.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
Forget this muppetry - to be honest it was a crap example. As I said we shouldnt judge each other on our problems and you cant compare apples and oranges. Fact is there are people like in wife swap who manage to earn more than hard-working people through benefit fraud. Therefore dont get sanctimonious about unfortunate teenagers - its their problem or perhaps the government's
You're using a vague example of somebody you saw on wifeswap to ignore the problems faced by a huge number of people in this country, poverty? The theoretical girl isn't committing benefit fraud, she is merely getting a support to her income because it's so low anyway. (An example of the UK gov't trying to reduce income inequality).

Now I've find my point again, I'd like to push it, people face the situation that I mentioned all over Britain, and you're suggesting they lose a huge proportion of their income, something equal to their entire food bills for a year.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You're using a vague example of somebody you saw on wifeswap to ignore the problems faced by a huge number of people in this country, poverty? The theoretical girl isn't committing benefit fraud, she is merely getting a support to her income because it's so low anyway. (An example of the UK gov't trying to reduce income inequality).

Now I've find my point again, I'd like to push it, people face the situation that I mentioned all over Britain, and you're suggesting they lose a huge proportion of their income, something equal to their entire food bills for a year.
well get rid of income tax and social security.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
irrelevent because their is a lower tax free limit of £4,000 or so. And yes she should, but because there is income tax she will get government help. Scrap both and see how well she will do.
Poundstretcher pay poorly but not that poorly. She can expect £10 k gross. I actually wouldn't be surprised if she's exempt there too, I'd expect her to be. Good if she is. I'm not suggesting we scrap income tax, I'm just suggesting she shouldn't have to pay the same proportion as a millionaire.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
well get rid of income tax and social security.
Why? It's the only thing keeping alot of people out of poverty.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Poundstretcher pay poorly but not that poorly. She can expect £10 k gross. I actually wouldn't be surprised if she's exempt there too, I'd expect her to be. Good if she is. I'm not suggesting we scrap income tax, I'm just suggesting she shouldn't have to pay the same proportion as a millionaire.
im suggesting she should pay the same, especially as she will get some form of social security. or scrap all income tax and get rid of social security.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why? It's the only thing keeping alot of people out of poverty.
my (in the future) money is keeping other people out of poverty. Well tough its mine, if i want to help i will, if not, tough ****. Personally i am going to do as much tax evasion as possible.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
im suggesting she should pay the same, especially as she will get some form of social security. or scrap all income tax and get rid of social security.
People will die of hunger if you get rid of social security, you will have to look at their unsightly bodies paving the streets on the way to private school.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
Its a good job we don't have you as prime minster we will have 60% of the population living on the streets. I am sorry but I think you should just drop this issue now. I agree with fishpaste on this one. When I am earning a lot of money I will gradly pay a greater proportion of income tax to help those less fortunute than I.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
People will die of hunger if you get rid of social security, you will have to look at their unsightly bodies paving the streets on the way to private school.
ah well, but without income tax they wont have to pay any of their money so will be able to spend it all on food.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
my (in the future) money is keeping other people out of poverty. Well tough its mine, if i want to help i will, if not, tough ****. Personally i am going to do as much tax evasion as possible.
THe only way you'll understand is if one day you need help, you really can't understand that sometimes people go under through no fault of their own, and society should help them. Fortunately for you, things almost always work out so you never have to fear that.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Its a good job we don't have you as prime minster we will have 60% of the population living on the streets. I am sorry but I think you should just drop this issue now. I agree with fishpaste on this one. When I am earning a lot of money I will gradly pay a greater proportion of income tax to help those less fortunute than I.
You will, dont worry, i can keep my mouth shut. I am going to be an MP and there is nothing that you can do. You can pay your money, i will keep mine. btw who neg repped me, cos that is just nasty - i havnt been insulting (at least not intentionally).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads