The Student Room Group

Walking around in my own house - am I unreasonable here?

I usually get up at about 0430 hours to make myself a cup of tea, before going back to read in bed before properly getting up at about 0600 hours.

I currently have a relative staying with me. I told her that I would probably be up early, but that I'd make sure I went quietly and that, if she would keep her door shut (thick oak door), it would drown out practically all noise.

So, first night she's here, I do exactly what I usually do and make a cup of tea at 0430 hours. Whilst the kettle is boiling (and it's not a whistling one, I'm not inconsiderate), she comes storming out of her room, yelling, "What are you doing!? All decent people are in bed, and you're making this God-awful racket! It's four thirty in the morning, for God's sake!" and so on.

Turns out she didn't shut her door because it would get too hot (:rolleyes: - I provided her with a fan to use for this purpose), so the noise woke her up and she is now yelling at me for doing exactly what I warned her I would be.

I don't see how I'm being unfair: I told her this would happen, I told her how to avoid being woken up by it (in the addition to putting her in the room with the heavy door, I also provided earplugs), I gave her a fan so she wouldn't get hot... In addition, it's actually my house and I don't even like the woman, I'm letting her stay here as a favour to a relative I do like.

Was what I did unreasonable?

Scroll to see replies

clearly next time you need to make her a cup of tea as well.
Reply 2
TheSownRose
I usually get up at about 0430 hours to make myself a cup of tea, before going back to read in bed before properly getting up at about 0600 hours.

I currently have a relative staying with me. I told her that I would probably be up early, but that I'd make sure I went quietly and that, if she would keep her door shut (thick oak door), it would drown out practically all noise.

So, first night she's here, I do exactly what I usually do and make a cup of tea at 0430 hours. Whilst the kettle is boiling (and it's not a whistling one, I'm not inconsiderate), she comes storming out of her room, yelling, "What are you doing!? All decent people are in bed, and you're making this God-awful racket! It's four thirty in the morning, for God's sake!" and so on.

Turns out she didn't shut her door because it would get too hot (:rolleyes: - I provided her with a fan to use for this purpose), so the noise woke her up and she is now yelling at me for doing exactly what I warned her I would be.

I don't see how I'm being unfair: I told her this would happen, I told her how to avoid being woken up by it (in the addition to putting her in the room with the heavy door, I also provided earplugs), I gave her a fan so she wouldn't get hot... In addition, it's actually my house and I don't even like the woman, I'm letting her stay here as a favour to a relative I do like.

It's your house, I think you're being perfectly reasonable and made sufficient allowance for your relative.

But wow...that's early. :p:
Reply 3
Tell her its what you do every day if you dont like it you can find somewhere else to stay, honestly you dont even need to explian it your house, id giver her another try but if she complains tell her to bugger off
I think the solution is to get a kettle that whistles. :h:

"racket" :rolleyes:
I would politely remind her that it is your house and suggest she opens a window if she is too warm.

edit: I wouldn't dream of complaining about anything if I was a guest in someone else's house, especially someone's daily routine.
Reply 6
generic hybrid
clearly next time you need to make her a cup of tea as well.

I would, but she hates it. She also threw my cup down the sink, so she's already wasted one of my teabags.
Nope. Tell her to GTFO.
Reply 8
Um, she can't tell you what you can do in your own house... I do wonder why you get up so incredibly early. 4.30am is usually when I go to bed. I wouldn't say you are being unreasonable at all, I suppose just try to be quieter next time?
She needs to get over it. Your house, your routine.
Reply 10
You're not being unreasonable at all. It's you normal routine, and I don't see why you should change it for her.
If she doesn't like it, she can find somewhere else to stay.
Spexzzz
Tell her its what you do every day if you dont like it you can find somewhere else to stay, honestly you dont even need to explian it your house, id giver her another try but if she complains tell her to bugger off

This.
Reply 12
TheSownRose

No it wasn't!
She shoul try stopping with me I suffer from insomnia really bad sometimes and will carry on like it's 12pm haha :p:

Don't worry about it, you gave her fair warning and you're entitled to have a drink in your own home :]
Jesus I was proud of myself for getting up at 7am the other day :eek:

Anyway, as long as you're being quiet, you're being perfectly reasonably, ignore the oik.
Reply 14
You stay on TSR til 2 and get up at 4.30?

im speechless.
Reply 15
TheSownRose
so she's already wasted one of my teabags.

Put it under her pillow :biggrin:

Seriously, its your house and shes a guest? You could do whatever and she'd have to accept it
Wow. Telling people what's acceptable in their own home is one of the most disrespectful things a person can do.
Reply 17
danny111
You stay on TSR til 2 and get up at 4.30?

Oh god no. Today is unusual. I overslept until 0530 yesterday, completely messed up sleep today ... so I'm resetting it by not sleeping tonight, so everything will be fine tomorrow.
Reply 18
I think she needs to learn some respect and you need to learn not to be a push over. Your house your rules. You need to remember this as much as her.
Reply 19
Broderss
So you will be falling asleep and waking up within the next 2 hours? :lolwut:

No - see the post directly above your one. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending