Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What general things do I need to get before I start my first year in Pharmacy i.e. lab coat? goggles? books for reading? etc.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCalfine)
    What general things do I need to get before I start my first year in Pharmacy i.e. lab coat? goggles? books for reading? etc.

Thanks!
    Lol, someones eager.

I dunno, I have the same question about chemistry? Do I need to buy books now? Do I need to get my own lab coat and goggles? ( I hope so cos I want some designer ****, not those crappy standard issue school lab coats.)

ReputationRep:
    i didnt need any books except BNF and MEP for the first 2 years....I googled for anything else..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R)
    Lol, someones eager.

I dunno, I have the same question about chemistry? Do I need to buy books now? Do I need to get my own lab coat and goggles? ( I hope so cos I want some designer ****, not those crappy standard issue school lab coats.)
    Actually, I've been told for Chemistry that it's best you get your own goggles and lab coat. I dunno if that applies as much for Pharmacy though.

As for books, I bought this but it is really more suitable for Chemistry. It has all the basics for undergrads starting a Chemistry degree.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemical-Rea...0332231&sr=8-1

Read the reviews and see what you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCalfine)
    Actually, I've been told for Chemistry that it's best you get your own goggles and lab coat. I dunno if that applies as much for Pharmacy though.

As for books, I bought this but it is really more suitable for Chemistry. It has all the basics for undergrads starting a Chemistry degree.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemical-Rea...0332231&sr=8-1

Read the reviews and see what you think.
    Hmm, interesting book. I'll email the chem department and ask. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    At my university, they told us that goggles are provided, you need to buy your own lab coat although the university does sell them.

ReputationRep:
    We had to buy our own lab coats and you can decorate them as well Goggles were provided. I think the BNF and MEP are from the school and come with name plates and extras but I have a feeling they have to be paid for. The other books depend on the individual lecturers but most can be found in the university library. I'd recommend you wait until you get to university and see what's recommended and then get them out of the library first. I bought the one recommended by the foundation year office and I don't like it at all-ended up using old ones I'd picked up years ago!

I'd wait until you get your reading list tbh. Much easier. BNF seems like a good choice though. I'm getting the June 2010 one for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maestor)
    i didnt need any books except BNF and MEP for the first 2 years....I googled for anything else..
    I'm sorry but what does MEP stand for? And I assume BNF is the British National Formulary book? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Medicines, Ethics and Practice - very important and useful

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 29, 2010

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.