Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm so baffled by all this referral malarky. Im in my first year of uni. The uni I go to is the University of Westminster. Which to me is the worst uni ever but whatever. I passed all my modules but one 15 credit module. In that module, there are two essays and one exam. I passed the essays but failed the exam. Apart from that, I have passed them all. They say they want 90 credits for one to pass the first year. I passes 105. Is it necessary I do that exam again? They also say that one must get 40% to carry on. They didnt tell us that either. Just says I have at 105 credits. can anyone help me calculate if i got 40? THANKS xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KawsarWarsame)
    I'm so baffled by all this referral malarky. Im in my first year of uni. The uni I go to is the University of Westminster. Which to me is the worst uni ever but whatever. I passed all my modules but one 15 credit module. In that module, there are two essays and one exam. I passed the essays but failed the exam. Apart from that, I have passed them all. They say they want 90 credits for one to pass the first year. I passes 105. Is it necessary I do that exam again? They also say that one must get 40% to carry on. They didnt tell us that either. Just says I have at 105 credits. can anyone help me calculate if i got 40? THANKS xx
    I am also baffled by your post. What is it exactly that you need calculating?

ReputationRep:
    Ha. I wanna know two things. One is whether or not I have to do the referral exam if I have enough credits to continue on second year? Second being the results did not indicate whether or not I got a 2:1 or 2:2 or a third. Just marks. How do I calculate whether or not I got the 40% we need to go through the second year? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If they want 90 credits to pass. And you have a 105. Then you've passed. And got 40%+
    You add up all the scores you got in your modules then divide it by the number of modules you have done.

In regards to the one module you failed. It depends on whether you have to pass both elements of the module. I.E both essays and the exam. Or you just need 40% overall in that module. Which can be made up from all the elements in the module.
    Did they not give you a module guide before the module started with the assessment weighting criteria?
    Also, when you got your results for the modules, didn't they give you the grades for it?

ReputationRep:
    They did not give us percentages but they did give us overall marks for each module. How can I be sure I got 40%?

ReputationRep:
    Add up all the marks you got in each module and divide it by the number of modules you have done.
    Your uni should have some sort of grading system where

70%+ = 1st
    60-69% = 2.1
    59-50% = 2.2
    49-40% = 3rd

Something like that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    find what marks theyre out of adn then work out percentage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KawsarWarsame)
    They did not give us percentages but they did give us overall marks for each module. How can I be sure I got 40%?
    If the marks are above 40. You have passed.

All modules (credits) you have passed, you have passed at 40 or above as 40 is the minimum pass mark

You only get a classification (first, 2:1...) at the end of the degree. Until then you are only given an overall mark.

I don't know what you mean by referral. I assume you mean resit the exam you failed?

Even if you have techincally passed enough credits you will still need to resit this exam. This is to ensure you achieve the full 120 credits for the year.

It is techincally possible to proceed to the next year with only 90 credits but this might have implications later on (eg. getting an honours degree). So ideally you need the full 120.

Things like this aren't standarised across universities so you really need to get advice from Westminster students and, ideally, relelvant staff.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 28, 2010

University open days

• University of Westminster
    All Departments will be open. Postgraduate
    Wed, 6 Mar '19
    All Departments will be open. Undergraduate
    Sat, 9 Mar '19
    All Departments will be open Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Jun '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.