Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We're told in our society that sex is it, that going drinking is it, and lots of other superficial stuff.

But why is it most of what we deem normal in society has no absolute merit behind it? OK, most people want crazy over the World Cup, but football is just a sport. The most popular out of many in the world. But of what supreme/absolute good is football? Who has the insight to say it is? What if in centuries time, somebody invents an even more popular sport? Where would football be then? What if in that era, there were no international professional sports?

Is it just human society that most of the things we're told to value are just fluff with no substance? Kind of like how in Roman times, it was the norm to see gladiatorial contests, or in medieval times it was the norm to bow to the lord of the manor?

We're living to die. There is no point in absolutely anything you do. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I do what I enjoy. Smoking, drinking, watching sport, interacting with people, shagging are all things I enjoy. It doesn't have to have a meaning outside of me.

ReputationRep:
    Our intelligence has evolved enough to allow us to realise the futility of our own existence, there is absolutely no 'point' to us being alive, we just continue on to serve our intrinsic nature to survive. No 'point' that we can possibly ever comprehend anyway. So you make the best of what you've got and do whatever it is that makes those neurons fire in your brain to tell you that you're happy and enjoying things. Because as intelligence and self awareness developed, which could lead to us deciding simply not to go on, so too did these receptors to give us an incentive to live. So use it, be happy and enjoy life in whichever way you see fit, and if you can help others to enjoy life along the way too then do so, because whilst you owe absolutely nothing to anyone else in this world, you'll still feel a better person if you do share a bit of happiness.

Oh and don't judge others for discovering things that they enjoy that you might not happen to agree with, they just have a different perspective and neither is ever above the other. Spending life worrying about what other people are doing when it has no bearing on your own happiness is truly wasted, because all it really means is that you haven't discovered your own happiness yet, and life's too short to distract yourself from searching for it.

ReputationRep:
    Well duh.

However, this worldview leads only to depression. Stop bloody thinking so much and have a good timee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveParlour)
    Our intelligence has evolved enough to allow us to realise the futility of our own existence, there is absolutely no 'point' to us being alive, we just continue on to serve our intrinsic nature to survive. No 'point' that we can possibly ever comprehend anyway. So you make the best of what you've got and do whatever it is that makes those neurons fire in your brain to tell you that you're happy and enjoying things. Because as intelligence and self awareness developed, which could lead to us deciding simply not to go on, so too did these receptors to give us an incentive to live. So use it, be happy and enjoy life in whichever way you see fit, and if you can help others to enjoy life along the way too then do so, because whilst you owe absolutely nothing to anyone else in this world, you'll still feel a better person if you do share a bit of happiness.

Oh and don't judge others for discovering things that they enjoy that you might not happen to agree with, they just have a different perspective and neither is ever above the other. Spending life worrying about what other people are doing when it has no bearing on your own happiness is truly wasted, because all it really means is that you haven't discovered your own happiness yet, and life's too short to distract yourself from searching for it.
    i'm non-judgemental, and couldn't care less what others do.

But to me, our norms in society are just hollow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    i'm non-judgemental, and couldn't care less what others do.

But to me, our norms in society are just hollow.
    Then you have a different perspective from most people, and maybe you would find happiness dedicating your life to exploring physics or being a great philosopher, I don't know as that's something personal to you. I can see why you would find them hollow, but if most people in society enjoy it then let them be, because whilst I recognise the shallowness, that doesn't stop me from enjoying partaking in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveParlour)

Woooooah!:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's all pretty futile. The reason people do these things is because they just enjoy them... no philosophising required. Nobody is claiming they're deep & meaningful. If these things don't do it for you, then find something that you like and that you find fulfilling. Who gives a **** what the rest of society does or whether any of it matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xRoseberryx)
    Woooooah!:eek3:
    Blowing minds at 3.30am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    We're told in our society that sex is it, that going drinking is it, and lots of other superficial stuff.

But why is it most of what we deem normal in society has no absolute merit behind it? OK, most people want crazy over the World Cup, but football is just a sport. The most popular out of many in the world. But of what supreme/absolute good is football? Who has the insight to say it is? What if in centuries time, somebody invents an even more popular sport? Where would football be then? What if in that era, there were no international professional sports?

Is it just human society that most of the things we're told to value are just fluff with no substance? Kind of like how in Roman times, it was the norm to see gladiatorial contests, or in medieval times it was the norm to bow to the lord of the manor?
    I think love is important - loving your family, your friends, your .... significant other.

if you love people - and they love you then you have something to live for - screw the money, screw things - they don't matter - as long as you have people to care for.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.