How long will it take to reach grade 8 on piano? Watch

This discussion is closed.
M.E
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have no idea where this topic goes... So I've just placed it in general discussion for the time being :l

The question is pretty much in the title - I'm starting Alevels in September, and I like to play the piano. Currently, I haven't started grades and etc, but I have learnt to self-teach myself how to read music (needs some more practice though :p: ) and how to play some songs.

How long will it take to reach grade 8? Can it be done in 2years? And if so, will I have to put in enormous amounts of work that could mean education can suffer?

I'm just pretty much clueless about how intense Piano grades are, and pretty much Alevels too :confused:

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :yep:
Mr. Orange
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
2 years? You are having a laugh.
Mechie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Seeing as you know how to read music and have a wee bit of experience, so you should whizz through grades 1 and 2 maybe. 2 years for grade 8? That is never going to happen. try maybe 5/6 years if you're good and work hard.
M.E
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr. Orange)
2 years? You are having a laugh.
Like I said, I'm completely clueless, care to fill me in?

(Original post by davidmarsh01)
you should whizz through grades 1 and 2 maybe. 2 years for grade 8? That is never going to happen. try maybe 5/6 years if you're good and work hard.
Thanks, that's all I need to know
Kalliope
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you do have VERY good background knowledge, my cello-playing friend got to grade 6 in a year and a half - but realistically won't be able to get very far at all, I'm afraid! Another of my friends is about to take her grade 8 at 16 and she's being playing since she started school!
Mr. Orange
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by M.E)
Like I said, I'm completely clueless, care to fill me in?
Ok I guess you are 18? Although that is young, I am afraid that that is quite late to start an instrument that you want to get very good at in such a short space of time.

Usually students at school would do about one grade every year (so about 8 years in total to get to Grade 8) but this varies a lot depending on the student's aptitude for music.

Have you learnt another instrument prior to this? If so, it might be easier for you. If not, expect a tough time. To do Grades you HAVE to be fluent in reading music, i would advise getting a book on Music Theory and start taking lessons in that ASAP. To move onto Grade 6, you would have to have passed grade 5 theory, so get the theory groundwork done straight away.

You WILL need a teacher, the whole point of ABRSM Grades is to get students to learn Classical technique and i am afraid it would be impossible to teach yourself the correct technique required for the later grades.
thomasp
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Probably 6 - 8 years, bearing in mind you'll also have to learn theory up to at least grade 5 (can't take grade 8 exam unless you have G5 theory). You don't have to do all the grades though, but must do grade 5 in both before progressing.

Grade 1 piano practical can probably be done in 6 months at tops, but grade 8 you really need to allow two years for alone. Heck, the scales take long enough to master for grade 8 - all 250-odd of them!
M.E
Rep:
?
(Original post by BookWormShanti)
Ah... So they key to getting higher grades is by starting earlier?

(Original post by Mr. Orange)
I'm 16, and I did play the violin and guitar when I was young - went up to grade 2 on the violin, and grade 1 on the guitar before I gave up due to the pain my fingers endured :facepalm:

Thanks to everyone who answered, I suppose I'll just go as far as I can then
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well it depends how much you've taught yourself and how competent you are at reading the music. G8 isn't just about playing, you have to do aural tests and sightreading- so just leaning the pieces wouldn't be enough.

Most people who play an instrument do their first exam the year after they start playing, and do one grade per year (just because of when the exam times are).

There's no way you'd get G8 in 2 years, especially as you have to have your G5 theory as well, which takes a while to work through, as you'd have to work through the G1,2,3+4 workbooks as well.

Basicaly not a chance if you're hoping to get good grades in your A Levels as well.

I did my G5 theory in Y12, and G8 practical in Y13, and found that enough of a strain on my exams- and I was already an experienced player.
cz100
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is my 4th year and I'm on grade 8 but haven't done the exam yet. From the way things are going it'll be next spring or maybe summer before I'm ready for the exam so 2 years is a bit too short
username240699
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's taken me around 6 years...but I have been rather lazy a lot of the time with practice. I'm going to try much harder but basically saying yes you can do it in that amount of time. Depends on your commitment.
innerhollow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by M.E)
Ah... So they key to getting higher grades is by starting earlier?
I'll give you some hope...

IT CAN BE DONE, ONLY IF YOU LOVE THE PIANO!!

Me and my best friend both started learning piano at the same time (for both of us it was our second instrument by the way). After 3 years completed of piano playing, I've started Grade 8 (to be sat at the end of this year) and he's completed Grade 8.

However, we both play a lot everyday. It is a lot of work, and really if you're not easily on top of your academic work (me and my friend both find academic stuff a walkover, hence why we can spare so much time for piano) you can struggle. Might not be a HUGE factor since you'd be taking exams in Christmas and Easter usually though, but practicing for exams takes up craploads of time, believe me.

So work hard at your piano, but this will be a very difficult level to attain (my highly talented, piano-loving friend still took 3 years instead of the 2 you're aiming for), and don't be put off knowing your abilities and going for Grade 6/7 instead (there's a considerable step-up between Grade 6/7 and Grade 8 I feel).
Fjarskafinn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I agree with innerhollow. The key to music is having drive and passion - if you adore playing, you'll approach the practise and study in a very different way to someone who wants to play to a grade 8 level for fun. I love playing more than I can possibly express, and since being without my piano for two years since going away to uni, I think I've missed playing more than I missed my old bedroom. :o: (I play to Grade 6/7 level, and I started properly studying when I was 16, so it took 2 years for me).
The Cello Ninja
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It really depends on how much work you put in, and that depends on how much you love the instrument. If I were you I'd set a more achievable aim of getting grade 6, although this would still require alot of time and effort! But you get some ucas points for uni at grade 6, and it'd help if you ever wanted to accompany a band or something.
innerhollow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Fjarskafinn)
I agree with innerhollow. The key to music is having drive and passion - if you adore playing, you'll approach the practise and study in a very different way to someone who wants to play to a grade 8 level for fun. I love playing more than I can possibly express, and since being without my piano for two years since going away to uni, I think I've missed playing more than I missed my old bedroom. :o: (I play to Grade 6/7 level, and I started properly studying when I was 16, so it took 2 years for me).
How come you never bought a keyboard? That's what I'm planning to do. :yep:
Fjarskafinn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by innerhollow)
How come you never bought a keyboard? That's what I'm planning to do. :yep:
I have a keyboard from when I had lessons when I was 11, but never got around to bringing it up to uni with me

Plus the keys are too different - but I guess it's better than nothing.
DaveBennett01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I started piano lessons when I was 50yrs old! I got through grades 1-3 in about 3yrs and grade 4-5 took about 2yrs each. So after 7yrs I was on grade 5. There is a huge jumo in ability from 5 to 6. It will probably take 2 yrs per grade. However the key is in the practise. You have to practise a minimum of an hr a day to do it in 8 to 10 yrs. Good luck
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
5 yrs

Jk i dunno
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just going to close this.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (23)
46%
No (13)
26%
I'm not old enough (14)
28%

Watched Threads