The Student Room Group

Guy put on sex offenders list because girl lied about her age

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-10781281

Just wondered what you think. Is it fair that because the girl lied about her age (and was quite convincing about it as well, it seems) that he goes on the sex offenders list, and the girl gets away scot-free?

EDIT

As it's been pointed out, the sentence was suspended, so he won't be going to jail. My apoligies, I thought suspended sentence meant he'd have to do jail time later. Sorry

But still, my point about it being unfair that he's on the sex offenders list still stands

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't like how in the headline they refer to him the 'Preston Rapist' when the article admits that it was unknowing statutory rape...
Reply 2
Basically yes.

She lied about her age - isn't the first girl to do that. Isn't the first guy to get caught out having sex with a minor who lied about age. Why treat him differently than others have been over the decades?
What makes his case special?
I don't understand the point in this thread, he didn't verify her age (passport/birth certificate etc.) so he couldn't have known that she was overage so he raped her.
Reply 4
The girl should go to jail for being such a lying bitch.
I feel sorry for him, but he should have been more careful.
cowsgoquack
I don't understand the point in this thread, he didn't verify her age (passport/birth certificate etc.) so he couldn't have known that she was overage so he raped her.

He was having sex with her, not checking her security clearance through airport customs.
Reply 7
mart2306
Basically yes.

She lied about her age - isn't the first girl to do that. Isn't the first guy to get caught out having sex with a minor who lied about age. Why treat him differently than others have been over the decades?
What makes his case special?

Nothing makes the case special in comparison but making the guy sign the register is deeply unfair considering everything the girl did was purposely done to mislead him.

Adult Ticket, facebook status etc. Maybe he should have asked to see her passport.
Reply 8
cowsgoquack

Oh come on who the hell does that?

"Hi! Finally we're meeting face to face!"

"... Can I see a driving license or passport please..."

She must look incredibly old for a 12 year old though.
Reply 9
Magical Man
Nothing makes the case special in comparison but making the guy sign the register is deeply unfair considering everything the girl did was purposely done to mislead him.

Adult Ticket, facebook status etc. Maybe he should have asked to see her passport.

Yes, but all has been done before to other guys who claimed they were misled about age. Or where girl admitted misleading about age.

All the law is doing is treating him the same it has treated others for many years.
Nothing in the press article makes this special, nothing that suggests he should be treated differently.

Sure, she shouldn't have lied about her age. But did he need to have sex with her?
Reply 10
Always check the teeth.
mistermeowingtons
He was having sex with her, not checking her security clearance through airport customs.

if you want to have sex with really young looking girls then it makes sense to check theyre not actually just... young - ya know, given that if this little girl is telling a fib 'shock horror' you will go to jail.
Reply 12
a) It's only 6 months, i'm sure he'll survive.
b) Yes it's difficult and theres no way he would have known, but you can't start saying "Oh it's OK cos she said she was old enough". Ultimately, it doesn't matter, as the oldest person should have a degree of responsibility here, and that also leads to a situation where paedophiles can stand up in court and say "Well I thought she was over 16 so it's OK, right?" and it would be legally acceptable. In essence, however unfortunate it is for this guy, it has to remain as it is.
Jailbait.
why is this rape? is it not just underage sex?
Magnum Opus
why is this rape? is it not just underage sex?

:facepalm:
mart2306
Yes, but all has been done before to other guys who claimed they were misled about age. Or where girl admitted misleading about age.

All the law is doing is treating him the same it has treated others for many years.
Nothing in the press article makes this special, nothing that suggests he should be treated differently.

Sure, she shouldn't have lied about her age. But did he need to have sex with her?

Fair enough he did not have to have sex but there extenuating mitigating circumstances and even the judge admits he had 'reasonable belief'.

I'm not arguing the fact that he should not have been punished, as the older peron he has responsibility but 7 years on the sex offenders register isn't right. Obviously she wasn't mature enough to make a mindful decision about sex, as the immature quote below shows.

'She told police she wanted to lose her virginity to her husband on her honeymoon, "not some damp, wooded area in the middle of a park with a person I met on Facebook".'
Reply 17
Actually, he's not going to jail by the sounds of it.

However, as soon as his law employers check his background and find 'statutory rape of a minor' on the record, he'll be in a bit of trouble.
cowsgoquack
if you want to have sex with really young looking girls then it makes sense to check theyre not actually just... young - ya know, given that if this little girl is telling a fib 'shock horror' you will go to jail.

Did you read the article?

The issue here is that the girl looked, acted, and said that she was 16. It's hardly reasonable to request 'formal identification' in such a situation, and clearly the court agreed.
Reply 19
Magical Man

'She told police she wanted to lose her virginity to her husband on her honeymoon, "not some damp, wooded area in the middle of a park with a person I met on Facebook".'

What a lying cow.

Latest

Trending

Trending