Colon removed due to years of anorexia WARNING Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Ok post as anon as I am really embarassed that this is actually happening and YES it is my own fault.

This is a warning to all girls who starve themselves and are constantly depriving their body of nutrients and abusing it.

All the damage you do WILL COME BACK TO HAUNT YOU. One day you will wake up and your body will just say - "I've had enough" and once one thing starts to go, others will as well.

Currently I am a recovering anorexic but I have had anorexia since I was 14. I am now 23. I have never had my period return to me (it stopped when I was 16) Over this time I starved myself barely existing on 500 cals a day. What I did eat was ALWAYS high fibre food and I ate laxatives soo that the food would go in and come out as quick as possible. I exercised a bit but not as much as some anorexics (you know the ones that jog for about 2 hours everyday without fail or do 200 sit-ups) as I just didn't have the energy.

I was smart, pretty and thankfully still do have a great and loving family. I have been to the best uni in Northern Ireland - Queens and even got a 1st in my degree. I currently work 2 jobs (1 full-time (IT Company as a Software Developer) and 1 part-time (In a supermarket) and love them both. So far my life seemed to be going great - except that I would always turn down social events because I didn't want to change my rigid dinner routine.

Now after years of treating my body like **** it is not taking it any more (and I don't blame it!). First I have fell twice and damaged my hip - to which now aches every time I go to sit down or even sleep in bed - doesn't hurt when I am walking though. I have also found out I have the bones of a 70 year-old (yes I have osteo), I can't have kids and the one thing that is most important (well to me) that my colon has gone. Nothing I eat whelther it be stodgy bread or potatoes will last in my gut now, it just goes straight through me. Tomorrow I am getting my colon replaced with a plastic bag. How attractive eh at 23?

I bet you are wondering why I did all this. Well I was a chubby kid who got made fun of and who was sexually abused and just decided that I wanted control of my life so I went on what I thought was a harmless 'diet'. BIG MISTAKE.

So this is a warning to all girls. You get what you give your body - if you treat it like **** expect **** from it. And don't worry it will come - you may think you are alright like I did for years but like I said one day your body just won't put up with it anymore. At 23 you are supposed to be living your life and the picture of health - I have lost that and have finally woken up and WANT to get better after years of being soo blind and stupid. I am just thankful that I have a loving family who have stood by me and endured years of watching me slowly kill myself, awkward christmas dinners and cancelled restaurant plans.

DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!
Genocidal
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
Nice to know you have acknowledged your mistake and are now working to rectify it. Good luck with the recovery.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Genocidal)
Nice to know you have acknowledged your mistake and are now working to rectify it. Good luck with the recovery.
Thanks I just wanted to warn girls not to be as stupid as I was or get to where I am at.
sauce
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
That's so sad and I'm so sorry Thank you for sharing your story as hopefully it will help others who may be heading down this dangerous road.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is such a sad story and it's a shame there isn't more help out there to stop people getting to this stage. Best of luck with your recovery x
Annie72
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I"m really shocked that such a young person can have health problems such as the OP, Osteo and a colostomy all at 23. I do think the OP should serve as a warning to others.
cowsgoquack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
there you go: having a disorder is bad

Good luck with your recovery :hugs:
Diachrom
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Could we extend this so it includes males as well - it does annoy me that today's most prominent and worrying illnesses: eating disorders, cancer, mental illness, are focused towards women; men are less likely to consult their GP after all.

Congratulations on your change of mindset though and I wish you a stable recovery.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Diachrom)
Could we extend this so it includes males as well - it does annoy me that today's most prominent and worrying illnesses: eating disorders, cancer, mental illness, are focused towards women; men are less likely to consult their GP after all.

Congratulations on your change of mindset though and I wish you a stable recovery.
Sorry I didn't include males. Over here in Norn Iron most of the guys like their spuds, pints and rugby too much to diet lol! But yes I have read accounts of a lot of male bulimics, anorexics and binge eaters.

Thanks I just wish I could have woken up sooner.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sorry this happened to you OP :hugs:. Thanks for taking the time to tell us your story, and good luck on your recovery :yep:
xxxkatiexxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was in hospital for a year for bulimia ( i had a bit of anorexia earlier in my teens) and schizphrenia. I am now 20 and recovered almost except for a bit of throwing up.
Before I read this my plans were to eat my small steak bagueete and some ice cream after then be sick tonight as I was good all week but now I am having the sandwich and fruit thats it.
Thanks, i am adding this to my favourites page!
Anonymous #2
Report 8 years ago
I really wish I could speak to the OP...I am headed that way if I dont sort myself out.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.6%
No (440)
60.61%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.8%

Watched Threads