Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is a general question for a career in finance, but I decided to ask this question in this part of the forum because it has many active members.

A brief profile: Economics at Durham graduating 2011 - current average is a high 2.1, doing a M&A TS internship at Deloitte in one of their offices abroad and have completed an internship at Baker Tilly during the summer holidays betwen 1st and 2nd year of university.

I was thinking of doing a Masters at Imperial or LSE, though not MSc Finance/ Accounting & Finance as it is too expensive and/or too competitive. Would the brand name alone of those institutions add much weight when I come to apply for general finance/accounting jobs (not front office)?

ReputationRep:
    I think a masters from somewhere like LSE would add weight, but as an economics graduate from Durham you should be fine anyways (I've met quite a few Durham graduates on the interview circuit). If I were you, I'd apply for the masters purely as a back up if you don't get a grad job, it's a lot of expense to go to just for the sake of it.

Also, I know it doesn't matter what degree you do for finance jobs, but if you go from economics to a masters that's not finance related, it will probably be questioned why you're applying for finance jobs as it will look like you're moving away from finance, not towards it.

ReputationRep:
    Durham's got a good reputation in the City. Try and get in through recruitment. Otherwise, yes, a Masters from LSE would help. But to stand a chance you would need to get a First.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should be good enough to get into IB with your profile. If you fail to get anywhere then a masters is a sensible back-up.

ReputationRep:
    Try to leverage your Deloitte internship into a FT offer and in turn leverage that in to a IB FT offer.....simples.

Got to love a bit of leverage on a thursday

ReputationRep:
    You seem like a strong candidate, I wouldn't recommend a Masters since you should be able to land a job without one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samoan)
    Try to leverage your Deloitte internship into a FT offer and in turn leverage that in to a IB FT offer.....simples.

Got to love a bit of leverage on a thursday
    Delete, sorry.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.