Turn on thread page Beta

Deadlifting watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    when deadlifting is it normal to drop the bar once done? or should i be trying to lower the bar?

i drop the bar, but a friend today tells me i shouldn't :rolleyes:

am only lifting 120 is that makes a difference.

ta

ReputationRep:
    You can control it to some extent on the way down, not drop it right at the top. Of course, if it's a missed lift then you may well end up dropping it from the top, which usually results in a cracked gym floor and staff getting pissed off.

The weight does make a difference too -- it's alot easier to control 120kg on the way down than 300kg I would imagine.

ReputationRep:
    At low weights like that you should lower it in control. It will help make you stronger.

ReputationRep:
    being quite small myself, (71kg) would make a difference, no? So for my size, 120kg is quite a lot for my size to handle

ReputationRep:
    Droping the bar after every rep is completely stupid but if you mean after a 1rep max lift of course it is ok to drop the bar. When lifting heavy it's almost essential to drop the bar.

ReputationRep:
    why is it almost essential

ReputationRep:
    At an 'easier' weight, you should attempt to lower it to the floor. If you're at 1RM though, and it's ruining you, then perhaps you won't be able to!

ReputationRep:
    I could be wrong but don't powerlifters have to show control on the descent? In that case the amount being lifted is not an excuse really.... unless it's a missed lift.

ReputationRep:
    If it is soo heavy that you are having to drop it from the top without chouce, I question how you got it up and if it is too heavy to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    If it is soo heavy that you are having to drop it from the top without chouce, I question how you got it up and if it is too heavy to begin with.
    Never experienced grip failure i take it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr Stamper)
    Never experienced grip failure i take it?
    Occasionally by accident but never to the point I have had to literally let go, although I don't do overhand anymore.

But this sounds like it is something he does everytime, not when his grip fails, and since he is asking if he should or not, he obviously could put it down if he wished, from what he has said.

ReputationRep:
    A quick descent is fine, and I've always found it very awkward to lower the weight gently - I'm interested in getting the weight from the floor to lockout, not vice versa, after all, and it tends to make my back do funny things if I'm not fairly snappy on the descent with a big weight.

It shouldn't be necessary to actually drop the weight, though. You should have at least some element of control over where the bar is going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    A quick descent is fine, and I've always found it very awkward to lower the weight gently - I'm interested in getting the weight from the floor to lockout, not vice versa, after all, and it tends to make my back do funny things if I'm not fairly snappy on the descent with a big weight.

It shouldn't be necessary to actually drop the weight, though. You should have at least some element of control over where the bar is going.
    This is pretty much what I'd say as well.

AshleyC: I know you probably train in a gym without much deadlifting. But in my mind 120kg is kind of beginner weight, especially above 70kg being male.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.