Turn on thread page Beta

UK's drive for 'special relationship' with India watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you all think of this?

David Cameron says he aims is to make it easier for UK companies to set up factories abroad. I mean, isn't that one of the reasons why they are one of the most upcoming economies? Because of all the British factories and call centres?

Allowing companies an easier ability to outsource all their jobs to India, is going to cause more and more jobs in India and less and less jobs in Britain. What is wrong with this country. We already have masses of unemployed who can't find work. This is only going to make things worse.

And the way Cameron has gone about it, literally grovelling to them, telling them that they are such a superior power to us.

The Indian government, has even criticised the much needed immigration cap on non EU citizens, no doubt Britain will bow down and allow Indian nationals to flow through freely in future, just for a 'special relationship'.

Cameron makes me feel sick.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, it is the right move.

India will be the next super power, Britain is never going to anything more than a mere lapdog.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick of Indians calling me trying to sell me insurance from some boiler room in Delhi. I especially hate it when they call me during dinner and start out by trying to get all chatty and address me by my first name as if we'd known one another for years.

ReputationRep:
    India is the new rising power on the block. If recent decades have shown us anything, its that the 'special relationship' with the US is not an equal one, and they are more then willing to throw us out in the cold despite our commitments to Iraq and Afghanistan.

With India, a rising power, and Britain, an existing great power with a seat on the Security Council, we can have a more fruitful and equal relationship that benefits both of us. Not to mention our historical ties, and our present economic ties. It will also pave a way for Britain in the future when the US is overtaken as chief super power.

Basically, I think its the right move. Our future lies with rising powers like India, and I also think we should get more involved in Europe (Both within the EU and independent of the EU). To clarify I am no EU Federalist.

I support a continuing strong relationship with the US, but we need to drop the ridiculous 'special relationship' ********. In fact, I think we should drop that term when talking about India as well.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody wants the outsourced jobs anyway.They are usually the menial jobs and pencil-pushing type.Go to university get a good degree you won't have to worry about this.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand the upset? Tapping into the rapidly expanding middle class in India is something that could definitely benefit us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nowrin)
    I don't really understand the upset? Tapping into the rapidly expanding middle class in India is something that could definitely benefit us.
    But we all know its all going to be of more benefit to them than us.

I mean the fact that they used a retort in our cutting of non eu immigration. I'm sorry, should our doors just be open to anyone and everyone from India?

It may be becoming economically powerful, but it is not becoming socially powerful. It's so far behind the UK in the US in terms of equality and quality of living. That's why I dislike all this talk of bowing down to India, its all about money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    Really?
    Hmm, I think that their growing middle class, who want products upon products to consume. Considering we want to increase manufacturing in this country, along with generally wanting to create growth and more jobs, this is a pretty nice market we can get our claws on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I'm sick of Indians calling me trying to sell me insurance from some boiler room in Delhi. I especially hate it when they call me during dinner and start out by trying to get all chatty and address me by my first name as if we'd known one another for years.
    Tell me... Why does who or where the person calling you is make any difference whatsoever?

ReputationRep:

I mean the fact that they used a retort in our cutting of non eu immigration. I'm sorry, should our doors just be open to anyone and everyone from India?

It may be becoming economically powerful, but it is not becoming socially powerful. It's so far behind the UK in the US in terms of equality and quality of living. That's why I dislike all this talk of bowing down to India, its all about money.
    The social system might not be great in India now, but it's only going to improve with a rapid growing economy. How else is a developing country meant to solve that problem, without a growing economy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nowrin)
    Really?
    Hmm, I think that their growing middle class, who want products upon products to consume. Considering we want to increase manufacturing in this country, along with generally wanting to create growth and more jobs, this is a pretty nice market we can get our claws on.

To add to that, the Indian military is always expanding and there is potential for lots of lucrative arms deals. There is also the opportunities to work along side the Indian's in the areas of renewable and nuclear energy.

Perhaps most importantly, in the future they will be the main counterbalance to China, and being friendly with them will enable us to better protect our future interests in Asia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azog 150)
    To add to that, the Indian military is always expanding and there is potential for lots of lucrative arms deals. There is also the opportunities to work along side the Indian's in the areas of renewable and nuclear energy.

Perhaps most importantly, in the future they will be the main counterbalance to China in the future, and being friendly with them will enable us to better protect our future interests in Asia.
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    The main obstacle to such a partnership is that Indians really aren't that fond of us for obvious reasons. I don't blame them for this and I still admire and respect them as a country but I do wonder whether we can trust them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve78)
    The main obstacle to such a partnership is that Indians really aren't that fond of us for obvious reasons. I don't blame them for this and I still admire and respect them as a country but I do wonder whether we can trust them.
    Eh? British tourists normally get a very warm reception in India, the whole "damn imperialists" act is tired and seen as a bit of a joke in all honesty, especially amongst the current generation. If anything it is Australians, Africans and to a limited extent people from the Middle East who get any hostility in India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve78)
    What on earth are you talking about? Put the crack pipe down.

ReputationRep:
    What do you all think of this?

David Cameron says he aims is to make it easier for UK companies to set up factories abroad. I mean, isn't that one of the reasons why they are one of the most upcoming economies? Because of all the British factories and call centres?

Allowing companies an easier ability to outsource all their jobs to India, is going to cause more and more jobs in India and less and less jobs in Britain. What is wrong with this country. We already have masses of unemployed who can't find work. This is only going to make things worse.

And the way Cameron has gone about it, literally grovelling to them, telling them that they are such a superior power to us.

The Indian government, has even criticised the much needed immigration cap on non EU citizens, no doubt Britain will bow down and allow Indian nationals to flow through freely in future, just for a 'special relationship'.

Cameron makes me feel sick.
    OP, outsourcing and offshoring is a common business practiced that, if not utilised, could result in British companies not being profitable at all to just going backrupt. If Britain wasn't able to offshore part of it's industries then we would lose out on a lot of money to our economy.

The times have changed, get over it, the world moves on from just a country making enough products to serve it's population. Have you ever considered that there are many companies that have offshored to Britain?

David Cameron is doing the right thing, it is better to have friends than to not have friends and he is doing something which may allow the UK economy to flourish at the same time. Do you seriously think that this day and age with a population of nearly 70 million that Britain can produce all the wealth, food and household products to sustain itself? You're crazy if you think that.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.