For Current Engineering Students at Edinburgh Watch

guardian123
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
HI!

I just got an offer from Edinburgh for Elecronics and Electrical Engineering with Management (BEng). :woo:

I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone give me any details about my course specifically? Like, Day to day stuff. How many classes and assignments per week etc? and how does the management part of it work?

2. Are there ERASMUS and International exchange programs for engineering students? If so, how hard are they to get into?

3. Can international students go on the ERASMUS program? or, are they just for EU students?

Some General Questions:

4. What do I do about a mobile phone? I'm not sure how it works in the UK. In India, we are able to get a phone and put different cards in for different networks.

5. Is catered accommodation better than Self-catered accommodation?

Any help is much appreciated
homesteil
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by guardian123)
HI!

I just got an offer from Edinburgh for Elecronics and Electrical Engineering with Management (BEng). :woo:

I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone give me any details about my course specifically? Like, Day to day stuff. How many classes and assignments per week etc? and how does the management part of it work?

2. Are there ERASMUS and International exchange programs for engineering students? If so, how hard are they to get into?

3. Can international students go on the ERASMUS program? or, are they just for EU students?

Some General Questions:

4. What do I do about a mobile phone? I'm not sure how it works in the UK. In India, we are able to get a phone and put different cards in for different networks.

5. Is catered accommodation better than Self-catered accommodation?

Any help is much appreciated
Since I'm only starting EEE in September, I can't help you on that one.
But the general ones: iirc you can get a pre-paid sim card and just pop it into your unlocked phone from India. (check the gsm/3g bands first and make sure you don't have the weird cdma standard like in the US) Self catered vs catered is up to you, what you prefer. You'd be advised to look into the accomodation sticky first page for that.
guardian123
(Original post by homesteil)
Since I'm only starting EEE in September, I can't help you on that one.
But the general ones: iirc you can get a pre-paid sim card and just pop it into your unlocked phone from India. (check the gsm/3g bands first and make sure you don't have the weird cdma standard like in the US) Self catered vs catered is up to you, what you prefer. You'd be advised to look into the accomodation sticky first page for that.
Thank You!! =)

Sorry to sound kind of ignorant, but what is unlocking a phone exactly?
homesteil
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by guardian123)
Thank You!! =)

Sorry to sound kind of ignorant, but what is unlocking a phone exactly?
Currently, most phones you get with a contract (12, 18, 24 months; not prepaid) are locked into a certain carrier, as said carrier (with whome you have the contract) usually subsedises your phone in exchange for you agreeing to pay a monthly fee. In other words you can't take your phone from T-Com in Germany for example and then switch the sim and use Orange/O2/whatever in the UK.
Unlocked phones either:
1: have been unlocked by paying tonnes of cash to your carrier to do so.
2: have been cracked via software (new rom, or just alteration of it)
3: have been bought in full price with no connection to any sort of contract.
With an unlocked phone you can just switch sim's and enjoy the local pricing with your old phone, while with a carrier-locked one you'd be paying through the roof on international call fees.
guardian123
(Original post by homesteil)
Currently, most phones you get with a contract (12, 18, 24 months; not prepaid) are locked into a certain carrier, as said carrier (with whome you have the contract) usually subsedises your phone in exchange for you agreeing to pay a monthly fee. In other words you can't take your phone from T-Com in Germany for example and then switch the sim and use Orange/O2/whatever in the UK.
Unlocked phones either:
1: have been unlocked by paying tonnes of cash to your carrier to do so.
2: have been cracked via software (new rom, or just alteration of it)
3: have been bought in full price with no connection to any sort of contract.
With an unlocked phone you can just switch sim's and enjoy the local pricing with your old phone, while with a carrier-locked one you'd be paying through the roof on international call fees.
Got it! Thank you thank you thank you!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (124)
18.48%
No (406)
60.51%
Not really bothered about them (141)
21.01%

Watched Threads