ICAP Graduate Watch

man123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Does anyone have any experience of how the AC is like at ICAP for a grad position? Hows the trading simulation? IS the interview quite intense or just the standard? Thanks for the help.
ElemenT'
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yea I've been through the ICAP recruitment process. It's a bit of a shambles compared to IB, and the calibre is far lower at ICAP. Has a nitty gritty cheap salesman feel about the place. But I guess all IDB's are like that.
andy_cole2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
trading simulation = maths test shl but on a projector screen
interview = what's icap's share price, what was icap's share price yesterday, what was icap's share price the day before that, what does icap do, no but what does it really do, name three competitors of icap, name three more competitors of icap, etc. etc swallow their wiki + that of some competitors + a few numbers and you'll be fine.

I wasn't fine because it was my first interview and I didn't know properly how to prepare. good luck!
man123
Rep:
?
Cheers mate. They seem to ask the same stuff all the time from what i hear. Do they ask many competancy questions by any chance, as its a HR type of interview?
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
when i went there were two streams of interview if you went with one set of interviewees it was with two HRs (my guess was the more inferior ones after they assessed you in the team exercise), the other was head of HR and a trader, my interview was with the latter pair, they asked me quite a lot of competency, i went for a voice trader so they asked sales related competency and i steered it that way anyway because i had quite a lot of relevant experience, it was after competency that the technical came in and it all went wrong for me. Generally with replies if you haven't heard back in a couple of days its good and then after a week or two i think they round up enough interviews to decide on the ones they weren't sure on, at least that was the experience of me and my friends.
man123
Rep:
?
Thanks alot mate, that was really helpful. I've applied for a sales role there, so more than likely be all sales focused. Did it last long? I heard its quite a short one as they have final interview at the last stage? Quite loooking forward to actually seeing ICAP, but dont think we will get a tour.
loggins
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by andy_cole2)
when i went there were two streams of interview if you went with one set of interviewees it was with two HRs (my guess was the more inferior ones after they assessed you in the team exercise), the other was head of HR and a trader, my interview was with the latter pair, they asked me quite a lot of competency, i went for a voice trader so they asked sales related competency and i steered it that way anyway because i had quite a lot of relevant experience, it was after competency that the technical came in and it all went wrong for me. Generally with replies if you haven't heard back in a couple of days its good and then after a week or two i think they round up enough interviews to decide on the ones they weren't sure on, at least that was the experience of me and my friends.
FYI, they're not Traders, they're Brokers. Big difference.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Isn't ICAP right next to the UBS offices near Liverpool Street Station?
loggins
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by WokSz)
Isn't ICAP right next to the UBS offices near Liverpool Street Station?
Google could have told you this quite quickly, but yes.
man123
Rep:
?
Loggins, How did you find the AC when you applied?
loggins
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by man123)
Loggins, How did you find the AC when you applied?
Pretty similar to an IB AC. Apart from Chewwy, myself and one other guy, the standard of candidates was quite low, it moved the goalposts pretty close together.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by loggins)
Pretty similar to an IB AC. Apart from Chewwy, the standard of candidates was pretty low, made the goalposts pretty close together.
Did you get offered a spot?
loggins
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by WokSz)
Did you get offered a spot?
Yup.
Christo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by loggins)
Pretty similar to an IB AC. Apart from Chewwy, myself and one other guy, the standard of candidates was quite low, it moved the goalposts pretty close together.
Were they poor on paper, or good on paper but just crap in person?

Makes me wonder whether or not people wrote me off at ACs in the past. I know I did sometimes to others! (thought not by their uni/course)
loggins
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Christo)
Were they poor on paper, or good on paper but just crap in person?
Compared to my intern class at an IB the previous summer, they were far inferior both on paper and in person. The final candidates made offers were generally quite good though.
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i thought the office looked pretty cool inside the area of the trading or 'broking' floor was huge and yeh the standard of applicants at my interview was very uninspiring. In my interview was a guy doing masters at reading having done undergrad somewhere even worse. One guy already working trying to get a grad position somewhere better who in the team exercise where we had to determine the numbers on some combo code lock spent the time guessing the code randomly rather than playing along and answering the quiz questions to get the numbers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.26%
No - I got the required grades (109)
59.24%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise