Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm back to this forum once again with my stupid questions, this time I think I need a server.

So my dad works at home these days, meaning a small cohort of employees also come and go. These people connect to our wireless network, upon this wireless network is my computer.

My computer holds about 8,000 files which they need access to, unfortunately when they're working my computer is reduced to a plastic pile of rubbish because its so slow.

Question is, do I need a server?

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Would be useful, a network connected file server. If not then maybe even an external harddrive with the files that they need, nearly every computer has a USB port these days

ReputationRep:
    You can easily find something on eBay for <£100.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your definition of a server?

If by 'Server' you mean a rack mounted power machine then no....

You can build a file server using ubuntu with whatever random crap hardware you have kicking about. I have an old pc that works fine as a file server using a Pentium 3!

ReputationRep:
    Put the files on a seperate hard drive and connect to the router through wires as opposed to WIFI.

ReputationRep:
    Find an old motherboard+cpu+ram+cooler combo on ebay or elsewhere, ideally with sata if you've got a lot of files to store, then find some big hard drives and a copy of ubuntu and you're good to go Should be doable for £100 or less.
    Or buy some old pre-built machine. A friend of mine runs an ftp server on a £50 dell he bought :P

Or, if you fancy building something expensive, I did a mini-itx fileserver/email server/backup system for my parents company recently, 8TB capacity and a blu-ray writer
    It had to be mini-itx though, because it had to fit in a fire safe.
    Will post the specs here if anyone's curious.

ReputationRep:
    Problem is that my printer/scanner needs to be able to scan to this 'server' which means it has to have a OS I think... Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    Ubuntu will work well then! (assuming there are drivers for your printer)

(Original post by TShadow383)
    Find an old motherboard+cpu+ram+cooler combo on ebay or elsewhere, ideally with sata if you've got a lot of files to store, then find some big hard drives and a copy of ubuntu and you're good to go Should be doable for £100 or less.
    Or buy some old pre-built machine. A friend of mine runs an ftp server on a £50 dell he bought :P

Or, if you fancy building something expensive, I did a mini-itx fileserver/email server/backup system for my parents company recently, 8TB capacity and a blu-ray writer
    It had to be mini-itx though, because it had to fit in a fire safe.
    Will post the specs here if anyone's curious.

Just done the same myself! except mine had to go inside an original xbox case, it only has 4tb of storage but no room for more than 2 hdds!

ReputationRep:
    if the server is compatible with the Ubuntu operating system, you're in business anyway, 'cause anything that's compatible with the desktop OS is more than likely to be compatible with the 'server' OS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mprules)
    Just done the same myself! except mine had to go inside an original xbox case, it only has 4tb of storage but no room for more than 2 hdds!
    That's an interesting one, got any pictures?

My one used these bits:

Except with a Geforce 210GT since it was a bit cheaper.
    Also my dad had a spare i5 750 which was a bit better binned than the one in my PC, and I had a Corsair H50 which I'd bought for £25 off a friend who wanted rid of it, did a sneaky processor swap to get the better binned chip for myself and got it all fitted, it's working really well.
    Had to use a tiny scythe slipstream slim fan to avoid it touching the PSU on the recommendation of another modder.

It looked like this when done, except without the awesome card and with the power supply and ram all fitted :p:

It's a very neat solution and I was quite tempted to rebuild my main rig into one of these cases, it can fit a single 5850 admirably, would maybe fit a 5870 in actual fact.

ReputationRep:
    Ill get some pics of mine up later tonight! its a much more modest build but its not for heavy use, more a download machine!

ReputationRep:
    +1 for cheap hardware and ubuntu.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.