GDL without training contract? Watch

manumisra29
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello Everyone,

I hope this query seems worth answering to you guys, Ive come across some really helpful info here.

I will be joining Nottingham Law School (NTU) for the GDL starting September 2010 and recently graduated from the University of Nottingham with a B.A. (Hons) in Finance, Accounting & Management.

A few training contract applications are still open until the 31st of this month but, I have some concerns regarding my eligibility to apply for them, given my status as a non-eu applicant along with my 2.2 undergraduate degree classification.

I am considering applying for training contracts next year instead, since by then I feel I will be able to make a more informed application (in terms of what type of firms I would be best suited to apply to, which division, application form answers etc).
Please advise whether that would be a good idea at all.

I do not have any sort of legal work experience (only finance/acounting related exp.) and feel that my short-term priority should be to apply for vacation schemes instead. Are there any oppurtunities still available either during winter or spring breaks?

I chose to do the GDL not just for a potential law career, which is top priority, but also since I feel it's well relevant with my finance background. With that in mind, I am not ruling out a career in financial management/consulting.

Any sort of help would be well-appreciated, I hope Ive made the right decision by choosing the GDL and not the 2-year LLB.
peachmelba
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As a non-law student, all of the VS schemes for non-lawyers during the winter and spring breaks will be open to you. Applications open in October for most.

Your chances of getting on a VS without any legal experience and a 2.2 are limited though, I think. Particularly for the City firms who might welcome your non-EU attributes and be prepared to help you get a visa. VS are more competitive than TCs in many cases.

Having just finished the GDL, I am also struggling to see how it could possibly help you get a job in consulting (equally hard next in terms of degree class) or finance (compliance maybe, but the GDL is an introduction to the basics of law rather than finance specific).

I think you need to think long and hard, even if affording the GDL is not a problem. You might be better getting onto a decent finance masters to help bolster your chances in that area.

Sorry to be harsh but you need to be realistic about your chances: plenty people with 2.1s and legal experience struggle, even in smaller regional firms.

good luck
ShrutiArora
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by manumisra29)
Hello Everyone,

I hope this query seems worth answering to you guys, Ive come across some really helpful info here.

I will be joining Nottingham Law School (NTU) for the GDL starting September 2010 and recently graduated from the University of Nottingham with a B.A. (Hons) in Finance, Accounting & Management.

A few training contract applications are still open until the 31st of this month but, I have some concerns regarding my eligibility to apply for them, given my status as a non-eu applicant along with my 2.2 undergraduate degree classification.

I am considering applying for training contracts next year instead, since by then I feel I will be able to make a more informed application (in terms of what type of firms I would be best suited to apply to, which division, application form answers etc).
Please advise whether that would be a good idea at all.

I do not have any sort of legal work experience (only finance/acounting related exp.) and feel that my short-term priority should be to apply for vacation schemes instead. Are there any oppurtunities still available either during winter or spring breaks?

I chose to do the GDL not just for a potential law career, which is top priority, but also since I feel it's well relevant with my finance background. With that in mind, I am not ruling out a career in financial management/consulting.

Any sort of help would be well-appreciated, I hope Ive made the right decision by choosing the GDL and not the 2-year LLB.
Just wondering what did you end up doing finally? Did you do GDL from NTU?
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads