Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, just a quick question.

In my sixth form we have to take choices from the 5 blocks given. I have chosen Maths from Block 1, English from Block 2, Biology from Block 3 and History from Block 4.

Further Maths is also offered in Block 5.

And I'm just confused, as to what happens when you take both courses.

Do you take Maths in the Lower Sixth and Further Maths in the Upper sixth? Or are both courses taken at the same time?

If I was to take Maths and Further Maths in AS year but drop it in A2 year, would I get the Full Maths A level.

I was just considering this as an option. I'm dropping Biology after AS as it is only offered as an AS in that block. However if I did want to take it to A2 I could take it in block 1 where I'd originally taken Maths.

Although I'm pretty sure I just want to take it just to AS. Although this would leave me just doing 2 A2s in upper sixth. So as I final question could I take Spanish (I have no gcses but lived in Spain so I am fairly good at it) in my A2 year, being both AS and A2.

Or would you recommend just taking my A levels normally over 2 years?

ReputationRep:
    Generally, you'd take Maths and FM alongside each other. So in the AS year you'd do C1, C2, S1, M1, D1, FP1 or something like that. Not sure about the rest.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the school. At one school I'm applying to, they have an accelerated course, meaning they do Maths ALevel in one year and then for FMaths ALevel the next. This would mean if you dropped it after a year, you would have A2 Maths. However, another school does them alongside each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissDramaQueen)
    Ok, just a quick question.

In my sixth form we have to take choices from the 5 blocks given. I have chosen Maths from Block 1, English from Block 2, Biology from Block 3 and History from Block 4.

Further Maths is also offered in Block 5.

And I'm just confused, as to what happens when you take both courses.

Do you take Maths in the Lower Sixth and Further Maths in the Upper sixth? Or are both courses taken at the same time?

If I was to take Maths and Further Maths in AS year but drop it in A2 year, would I get the Full Maths A level.

I was just considering this as an option. I'm dropping Biology after AS as it is only offered as an AS in that block. However if I did want to take it to A2 I could take it in block 1 where I'd originally taken Maths.

Although I'm pretty sure I just want to take it just to AS. Although this would leave me just doing 2 A2s in upper sixth. So as I final question could I take Spanish (I have no gcses but lived in Spain so I am fairly good at it) in my A2 year, being both AS and A2.

Or would you recommend just taking my A levels normally over 2 years?
    It depends on the school, you need to ask them. In my school you do the whole A-level maths in the first year, and then the whole A-level further maths in the second year, with three modules taken every January and June.

Alternatively, schools can do AS maths and AS further maths in the same year, and then A2 maths and A2 further maths in the second year, it's up to the school.

ReputationRep:
    I did AS Maths and AS Further Maths in the first year and both A2's second year.

I did C1 C2 S1 for maths and FP1 M2 M3 for further maths which was very tough seeing as M3 requires C4 knowledge.

Then year two I did C3 C4 M1 for maths and FP2 FP3 S2 for further maths.

It was hard but if you are capable I recommend doing something similar.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    My school did it so that you do Maths A-level (C1-4, M1, S1) in Year 12 and Further Maths A-level (FP1-2, M2-3, S2, D1) in Year 13. If you want to do Maths A-level and just Further Maths AS then:
    (i) If your school does Maths & FMaths alongside each other (AS in Y12 and A2 in Y13) you can drop FMaths for A2 as you would any other AS
    (ii) If your school does all of Maths in Y12 and all of FMaths in Y13 [like mine did] then you can drop FMaths after the January exams (since you usually do the AS in January and A2 in June).

(i) means that it's like any other A-level; (ii) means that if you want to drop it, it'll be as if you have 4 subjects until January, but after January it'll be as if you have two subjects.

A couple of my friends dropped FMaths after AS, and they had 15 hours of free periods (out of 25) per week after they dropped it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 28, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.