Three important things when going to Swansea Uni Watch

Boopop
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Firstly, if your bike is worth more than a week's grocery shop, don't lock it up in the public bike sheds in the student village. Everyone I knew with a good bike including myself had their bike nicked. That was a baaaad day.

Also, whatever you do, you MUST go to the freshers fayre! At the very least you'll get some free stuff, subway & dominos vouchers and the like. I also suggest you try some societies. Just don't go too all out on it, my advice would be to join at most two that you're regularly going to go to instead of joining 6, and only turning up to them all once.

Finally, I'm the Vice President of the photography society there, so if you're into taking photos or recording video, be sure to see us at the fayre

That is all...I'm a 3rd year now so if you have anything to ask, feel free! Good luck with any exam results you have coming up.
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Another thing you must do is explore the Gower Peninsula. Llangenith (not sure if that's spelt right), Port Einon and Rhossili Bays are great for surfing, Caswell Bay is nice but full of families and tourists at weekends, Oxwich Bay is lovely and has a castle next to it, Three Cliffs Bay is quite isolated but beautiful, and Swansea Bay isn't good for swimming but is great for having BBQs and bonfires on the beach Rhossili Bay also has the Worm's Head which you can walk out to when the tide is right, and the remains of an old wooden shipwreck stick up in the sand when the tide is out.
Boopop
Oh for sure, anyone who doesn't go to the Gower at least several times during the Summer when in Swansea doesn't deserve their degree xD I feel sorry for the people who simply don't go there at all for the whole 3 years they're doing their degree
easter_bunny
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ooh this was interesting, am starting there in Sept for postgrad. Do you guys have any postgrad societies? Or recommend any other societies? I don't know anyone at the uni whatsoever and am only just 21 so am no old crumbly by any means..

Cheers!
Boopop
I think there is a postgrad society, yeah. As for the rest of it, it's your standard fare really. What are your interests?
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by easter_bunny)
Ooh this was interesting, am starting there in Sept for postgrad. Do you guys have any postgrad societies? Or recommend any other societies? I don't know anyone at the uni whatsoever and am only just 21 so am no old crumbly by any means..

Cheers!
Not sure about exclusively post-grad societies, but postgrads can join any society or club with undergrads in as well. I remember in my 3rd year a postgrad joined the womens rugby club (which I was part of) and nobody thought any differently of her, she went to the socials as well as training. She couldn't always make the matches though because her postgrad lectures or tutor contact hours tended to be on Wednesday afternoons, which is when most of the BUSA sports matches take place. There were some postgrads in the archery club as well. Tbh, no matter what your interests are there's bound to be a club for it
easter_bunny
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
Not sure about exclusively post-grad societies, but postgrads can join any society or club with undergrads in as well. I remember in my 3rd year a postgrad joined the womens rugby club (which I was part of) and nobody thought any differently of her, she went to the socials as well as training. She couldn't always make the matches though because her postgrad lectures or tutor contact hours tended to be on Wednesday afternoons, which is when most of the BUSA sports matches take place. There were some postgrads in the archery club as well. Tbh, no matter what your interests are there's bound to be a club for it
Thanks I might give it a look. I'm new to the area and will be living in the Marina (which I get the impression is miles away from any happenings) so thought it might be a good idea to join one!
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by easter_bunny)
Thanks I might give it a look. I'm new to the area and will be living in the Marina (which I get the impression is miles away from any happenings) so thought it might be a good idea to join one!
Oh, the Marina is lovely It's not miles away from any happenings at all - in fact it's close to Wind Street (filled with bars, restaurants and old pubs), the castle & castle square, and the old traditional covered market. It's also close to Salubrious Place which also has bars etc. in as well as the odd club (I left a few years ago so I'm not sure exactly which club(s) are there now though.) It's not that far from the Kingsway either, which is the main street. The National Waterfront Museum is at the Marina btw, a very high standard museum, and there's old pubs like the Tug & Turbot (had some lovely scampi & chips there once :p:). The Swansea Museum (more old fashioned than the National Waterfront, but still interesting to wander round) and the Dylan Thomas Theatre are nearby as well.
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How can you forget Verdi's up in Mumbles?! I'm sure their tiramisu would put you over the drink drive limit!
Mousickle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bikes and swansea is just generaly a bit risky =( Someone theived mine from outside tescos >_< *******s.

Most societies you can actualy go along to the first meeting before paying to join so if you do like the look of loads and loads just go along and see which ones are best before you commit. Although you should actualy just join Sci-fi/Anime/RP and you will know all the coolest people in swansea anyhow well all the coolest nerds ^_^ plus there is a good chane we will have free supcakes sooo, you know.
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by psychocustard)
How can you forget Verdi's up in Mumbles?! I'm sure their tiramisu would put you over the drink drive limit!
Oh, and don't forget to go on the Mumbles Mile at least once!

In my third year I went to an open-air performance of 'Macbeth' at the castle in Mumbles, it was great. They put on performances of plays there every summer.
Dr. Zoltan
Report 8 years ago
Don't go to the flats on the high street.

Best tip
username369234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh, and don't forget to go on the Mumbles Mile at least once!
I don't think the Mumbles Mile exists anymore :/ I havn't seen anyone do it in the 3 years I've been here, its all just Wind Street and pub golf nowadays. I think someone said to me a lot of the pubs in Mumbles have closed; not sure though.
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by commandant)
I don't think the Mumbles Mile exists anymore :/ I havn't seen anyone do it in the 3 years I've been here, its all just Wind Street and pub golf nowadays. I think someone said to me a lot of the pubs in Mumbles have closed; not sure though.
There seems to be lots further down that have closed down, and there only appears to be one proper pub on the corner of the main street.

Should really stop going down there so much so as not to kill the mystique before I start there!
username369234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There seems to be lots further down that have closed down, and there only appears to be one proper pub on the corner of the main street.

Should really stop going down there so much so as not to kill the mystique before I start there!
Haha

You from the Swansea area then?
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha

You from the Swansea area then?
No, I'm from a place called Pontypool, about an hour and a bit away! Had my holiday in Caswell Bay last year, and just really like the place so I keep ending up there
username369234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, I'm from a place called Pontypool, about an hour and a bit away! Had my holiday in Caswell Bay last year, and just really like the place so I keep ending up there
I know Ponty, I'm a Merthyr boy :yep:
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know Ponty, I'm a Merthyr boy :yep:
That's a first, almost no one knows Ponty!

Any tips for the year? I'm not living in halls though - did halls in Portsmouth last year, and loathed it, so I'm sharing a house with people I know already there
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
:eek:

Well, I'm going to be in the Gower Peninsula for a few days in a couple of weeks' time, so I'll make sure to go to Mumbles and have a look for myself. Mumbles always seems quite well off to me, with lots of little boutiques etc., so I'm surprised so many places have closed down. Some of those pubs were very old and atmospheric - such a shame if they have closed down.
username369234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
:eek:

Well, I'm going to be in the Gower Peninsula for a few days in a couple of weeks' time, so I'll make sure to go to Mumbles and have a look for myself. Mumbles always seems quite well off to me, with lots of little boutiques etc., so I'm surprised so many places have closed down. Some of those pubs were very old and atmospheric - such a shame if they have closed down.
Perhaps they havn't closed down then, maybe just the "Mumbles Mile" has worn off. Everything is just Wind Street
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads