Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
'The Collegiate Council of the University of London had established a Working Party to consider City’s application for membership and would visit City in the Autumn. A decision was still expected by the end of 2010.'

Thoughts?
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Rep:
?
Internal email.
student_london
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Taking everything into account, I do think it's for the better if they join Uni of London.
Off course, within City, there will be some departments, particularly Cass that won't be happy with this decision but you have to think of the overall effect. I guess Cass would like to remain independent and build on their reputation and strength.
I don't know what the federation of Uni of London will mean in the future, but as long as LSE, UCL, Kings remain part of this club it can't do any harm if City Joins.
Some departments, like Social Sciences, Law, Engineering, etc... can benefit significantly by joining. For others, it's less clear.
From a 'prospectve' student point of view, I know many students that have turned down City for other Unis just b/c they are part of Uni Of London and City is not. It carries a quality stamp that's still respected throughout the world and that should not be ignored. The lesser known or reputed unis, they'll probably associate themselves with Uni of London rather then Uni, whereas the big guns they still market themselves as UCL, LSE, Kings....
Let's hope they make it. Given the employability of City, it will only make the more popular among students, especially international students. For some students, it will be better to have London behind their names rather then City.

:rolleyes:
Spannerhawk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Awesome.
S.R
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by student_london)
Taking everything into account, I do think it's for the better if they join Uni of London.
Off course, within City, there will be some departments, particularly Cass that won't be happy with this decision but you have to think of the overall effect. I guess Cass would like to remain independent and build on their reputation and strength.
I don't know what the federation of Uni of London will mean in the future, but as long as LSE, UCL, Kings remain part of this club it can't do any harm if City Joins.
Some departments, like Social Sciences, Law, Engineering, etc... can benefit significantly by joining. For others, it's less clear.
From a 'prospectve' student point of view, I know many students that have turned down City for other Unis just b/c they are part of Uni Of London and City is not. It carries a quality stamp that's still respected throughout the world and that should not be ignored. The lesser known or reputed unis, they'll probably associate themselves with Uni of London rather then Uni, whereas the big guns they still market themselves as UCL, LSE, Kings....
Let's hope they make it. Given the employability of City, it will only make the more popular among students, especially international students. For some students, it will be better to have London behind their names rather then City.

Yeah They would be a good replacement for Imperial. And they can get a bite of the UoL prestige as well.

However What is the future of the UoL seeing as the big guns are distancing themselves. it's nothing more meaningful than a group such as the Russell Group of universities for example.
S.R
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
Internal email.
you seem clued in, what's the future of the big players in UoL? Are they gonna stay in or are they gonna leave like Imperial?
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Rep:
?
(Original post by S.R)
you seem clued in, what's the future of the big players in UoL? Are they gonna stay in or are they gonna leave like Imperial?
lol I wish, the email was sent to all students, it was pretty much the details of the last Council Meeting.

TBH, I can't really answer that, I don't really see Kings or UCL leaving. However I have no idea why London Business School are still there.
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Rep:
?
(Original post by student_london)

I agree with a lot said here, surely City are doing this just for a prestige boost.

Yeah, I agree that Cass would be the most wary, their building does get packed at times and I doubt they are relishing a rush of students going there (if it happens)
RSuperman86
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
great! the decision is likely to be made AFTER i would have left City!...
damn
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Rep:
?
(Original post by RSuperman86)
great! the decision is likely to be made AFTER i would have left City!...
damn
"A decision was still expected by the end of 2010."

Few months dawg
rscully
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The decision was 'made' ages ago. They just have to debate specifics with UoL. My view on the entire thing is dependent on the price. If we're going to pay millions in affiliation fees I don't really see the benefit, but will have to wait for the price tag!
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Rep:
?
(Original post by rscully)
The decision was 'made' ages ago. They just have to debate specifics with UoL. My view on the entire thing is dependent on the price. If we're going to pay millions in affiliation fees I don't really see the benefit, but will have to wait for the price tag!
oh righty, so how likely is it that they will join the UoL then, in your view?

I'm sure they'll be whacking a UoL premium on their post-grad courses if it happens.
Zweihander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's no logic in turning down City because it's not in the UoL, because neither is Imperial. City's supposedly doing this for the prestige boost, but I've always percieved the UoL as watering down a university's prestige. The most prestigious universities have high barriers to entry and exercise extreme selectivity, and as I see it joining the UoL only erodes those barriers. That's why LBS have stopped issuing UoL affiliated degrees.
student_london
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't really think it's a question of City joining them but more like Uni Of London allowing membership. My understanding is that their delegation will visit City and base their decision on findings, case presented, etc...
10 Years ago, this would not have been possible b/c City's overall research output/strength was just not good enough. All Uni of london colleges have decent research quality and international reputation in their fields.
However, over the years, especially since the previous VC, academic research has become a key point in City's Strategic Plan. Hence, it makes sense for them to join sooner rather then later. Also, the federal structure allows Universities to be fairly autonomous compared to before.
The big question is, what can City give to the Uni Of London? From the top of my head, there are enough +ves, Cass, Optometry, Law (Inns), Journalism, ....which can match the best.
I'm certainly in favour and it will certainly boost City. Only danger is, once City is given membership, I hope the Uni of London won't be giving other Unis like Kingston, Westminster, etc.... membership. There's bound to be more consolidation in the education sector (budget constraints). Let's face it, we've got too many 'crap' unis. Don't see them surviving LT.
The only other Uni that's good is probably Brunel.
Uni Of London has got 60 Nobel Prize winners behind their names. For the ignorant fool, that tells a lot.
rscully
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
oh righty, so how likely is it that they will join the UoL then, in your view?

I'm sure they'll be whacking a UoL premium on their post-grad courses if it happens.
I think it's probably fairly likely, but we have to get UoL approval first.
brainwiz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
According to wikipedia, the university has been accepted.

Anyone know whether this is true?
YoursSincerely
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not true, the decision still has yet to be made.
student_london
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by brainwiz)
According to wikipedia, the university has been accepted.

Anyone know whether this is true?
Do you have a link?
student_london
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Any insider information on this? Unconfirmed sources claim that City will be part of UoL? What's the score? Family member is keen to find out as she's planning to study there.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm interested in this too, any updates since July?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.73%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.65%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.2%
It might lead to more bullying (132)
38.6%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.82%

Watched Threads