Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an ACER 6920G laptop which for some reason ( can't remember when it started ) makes the sound only come out of the left channel when I use speakers or headphones.

When I use the laptops built-in speakers both channels work, but if I plug speakers or headphones into the built in jack or use a USB audio adapter, only the left channel works, which gets really irritating when listening to songs which switch between channels as it goes silent for the duration of the right channel.

I can't think of any reason it's started to do this but does anyone have ideas on why and how to fix it? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    You checked the sound control device, making sure the audio is balanced between both left and right channel, than just left?

Test it using sound device control by clicking on the configure button of your Speaker device.

If it does not work, all i can think of is....your right side channel is not working.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, both channels are balanced correctly. If I use the 'Test' button in the Playback devices menu, both channels work for the built in speakers but if I use the Test button for the USB adapter or speakers I'll plugged into the jack, only the left channel works - this happens whether it's headphones or speakers so I know they aren't the problem. Even if I plug my TV speakers into the jack it's still the left one only. It's like my computer won't take the right channel for any external output device.

ReputationRep:
    Did you bash the thing recently?

Does it work if the laptop or the headphone socket is held in a certain position?

If it is then it's most certainly a dry joint somewhere.

mioght even be a dry joint even if it doesn't do these things.

*rolleyes* at some of you computer geeks. When it's software at fault you are quick to identify and fix it, but when it's hardware you're flummoxed!

ReputationRep:
    Try wiggling or twisting the cable/plug, because sometimes even when the connection is solid, due to the analogue nature, the sound may only come out of one channel. I have a cheap 3.5mm cable, and sometimes when the sound goes temperamental, this trick worked for me so do try it incase other solutions don't work

ReputationRep:
    Yeah guys, the audio jack for my headphones/speakers only works when it's in a certain position - for example I have to use something to lean it back when plugged into the normal jack on the side of the laptop and if I use the USB adapter I have to plug it in so half of the jack is sticking out. I have not knocked the laptop recently if I can best estimate it's probably been doing this for a few months now. The only thing that perplexes me is that even when I use a USB Audio jack (http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-2-audio-adapter/42961.html to be precise) it still only works in one channel? Yet if it's the built in speakers it works perfectly fine. It's like my laptop just won't accept an outside audio output whether USB or otherwise The built in speakers suck ass though and I don't want to resort to them.

ReputationRep:
    Guess no one has any more ideas ?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.