Postprocessing in Photoshop Watch

marcusfox
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
For example - http://conordoherty.redbubble.com/se...e-the-railroad

While I appreciate that it takes a lot of skill and experience to create the image itelf, it didn't just come out of the camera like this and probably had some work in Photoshop.

Anyone who is more familiar with the application got any tips on how to achieve such an effect, particularly with the clouds and railway - they look like they are from another world?

It it just a lot of effort touching it up in Photoshop or are there certain effects/filters you can apply, etc?
Fuzzpig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It looks like they've used the 'burn' tool quite heavily on the clouds, with a low % hardness (a soft edge).

Not so sure about the track.

edit: I think the dodge tool might have been used on the clouds, and perhaps down the centre of the track to make it lighter?
cowsgoquack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm hesitant to spread this disgusting trend, but:

hdr
Rob801
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by cowsgoquack)
I'm hesitant to spread this disgusting trend, but:

hdr
Used correctly HDR is a wonderful thing, that image in the OP though..... just awful and over done
cowsgoquack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rob801)
Used correctly HDR is a wonderful thing, that image in the OP though..... just awful and over done
with great power...
JChoudhry
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
:coma: HDR photo's are so sexy :yep: :love:

Search abduzeedo.com I'm sure they had a tutorial on how to create a HDR photo effect, or let me check a forum I visit, they had one I think but it was done in light room.
JChoudhry
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by marcusfox)
For example - http://conordoherty.redbubble.com/se...e-the-railroad

While I appreciate that it takes a lot of skill and experience to create the image itelf, it didn't just come out of the camera like this and probably had some work in Photoshop.

Anyone who is more familiar with the application got any tips on how to achieve such an effect, particularly with the clouds and railway - they look like they are from another world?

It it just a lot of effort touching it up in Photoshop or are there certain effects/filters you can apply, etc?
In Photoshop:
http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs38/f/20...lieMacBell.jpg

In Lightroom:
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs24/f/20...cptpomeroy.jpg
marcusfox
Rep:
?
Right, I've read up more on this technique and it seems that you need to take several images at different exposures - quite often -2, 0 and +2 EV.

Others say you can do it with a single jpeg using Photoshop and Photomatix - not software I am familiar with, but I downloaded the trial and had a go. Not really pleasing results, but I guess when you artificially adjust the exposure with the same jpeg to create three exposure levels, the extra information that you'd get from three distinct images just isn't there.

However, there must be some method to it, as I'd imagine your three photos would need to be taken with a tripod or braced against an immovable object and identical apart from exposure otherwise it just wouldn't look right. But I have seen similar effects applied to fast moving objects, for example flowing water and animals - any ideas?
jammy66
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by marcusfox)
Right, I've read up more on this technique and it seems that you need to take several images at different exposures - quite often -2, 0 and +2 EV.

Others say you can do it with a single jpeg using Photoshop and Photomatix - not software I am familiar with, but I downloaded the trial and had a go. Not really pleasing results, but I guess when you artificially adjust the exposure with the same jpeg to create three exposure levels, the extra information that you'd get from three distinct images just isn't there.

However, there must be some method to it, as I'd imagine your three photos would need to be taken with a tripod or braced against an immovable object and identical apart from exposure otherwise it just wouldn't look right. But I have seen similar effects applied to fast moving objects, for example flowing water and animals - any ideas?
Yup!, you can & i did... the effect is allways better with the 3 pictures though, well i found.

By the look of that picture, some burning has been going on as well... or maybe a play with the levels?

The way i did it; set up my tripod had my 2, 0 and +2 EV, held my breath had the shutter delay for 2 seconds to avoid camera shake, and i was given with three images, one under exposed, one just right and one over... and Photomatix is dead easy to use, i use it to sandwich my pictures together and then i use Photoshop to play with the HDR tone.... Saying this, i have only done it once, so i am not an expert and that was just my rough way of doing it. - Don't forget to shoot in RAW!

I assume with the fast moving images were done on a single jpeg.

As i say not the best, but this is what i got with the explnation i mentioned above...

As i say, its my first attempt and i need more practise, but it has been slightly over done. 3 exposure

Single image HDR. Again, not the best example.
Mazty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The cloud effect could have easily been achieved by dropping the brightness and increasing the contrast. Really quick & simple way of amplifying the effect of lighting in an image. Burn looks like it's been used on the rest of the picture.
marcusfox
Rep:
?
(Original post by jammy66)
Yup!, you can & i did... the effect is allways better with the 3 pictures though, well i found.

By the look of that picture, some burning has been going on as well... or maybe a play with the levels?

The way i did it; set up my tripod had my 2, 0 and +2 EV, held my breath had the shutter delay for 2 seconds to avoid camera shake, and i was given with three images, one under exposed, one just right and one over... and Photomatix is dead easy to use, i use it to sandwich my pictures together and then i use Photoshop to play with the HDR tone.... Saying this, i have only done it once, so i am not an expert and that was just my rough way of doing it. - Don't forget to shoot in RAW!

I assume with the fast moving images were done on a single jpeg.

As i say not the best, but this is what i got with the explnation i mentioned above...
Well, before I made my last post I did this one - single image HDR - before and after

Name:  Wisla1wm.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  Wisla2wm.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  35.4 KB

Can't get them to display side by side. So have to open them in separate windows and adjust the position to compare.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads