Theresa May: It's time to move beyond ASBOs Watch

Wednesday Bass
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
The home secretary has said it is "time to move beyond" Asbos, signalling the possible end of their use in England and Wales.

Launching a review of the system, Theresa May said it was time to "stop tolerating" bad behaviour.

More than half of Asbos in England and Wales were breached from 2000 to 2008, government figures show.

But Labour, which devised Asbos, said they had made a "huge contribution" to cutting crime.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10784060

To me, they're a good idea in theory, but they've become badges of honour and hold no threatening value to stop re-offending.
Redreynard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
abos are nonsense.
you rule with the carrot and the stick.
if someone is naughty birch them.
if very naughty, cat o' nine tails.
if very, very naughty, flog 'em to death.
but don't imprison them. why should my taxes pay for their breakfasts?
Collingwood
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ASBO are really just a mechanism for evading the presumption of innocence and the higher burden of proof of criminal prosecutions.
Phantom_X
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I dno, i dont think rehab would work either. Knowing kids who actually have these asbos, i honestly doubt communities would be able to do anything. this is a result of bad parenting and neglection tbh.

however less police + no asbos= recipie for possible disaster
Silly Goose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I agree that the ASBOs aren't working and we need a much better method of dealing with this low level crime, but we can't really judge the decision to scrap ASBOs until the Coalition comes up with an alternative to tackle the problem.

(Original post by Phantom_X)
however less police + no asbos= recipie for possible disaster
It's also best to keep in mind that the Coalition have made promises to reduce the bureaucracy that police officers tend to get drowned in. So it might not necassarily mean 'fewer police = fewer hours the police collectively spend on the streets' if police numbers do drop because of cuts.
Phantom_X
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Silly Goose)
I agree that the ASBOs aren't working and we need a much better method of dealing with this low level crime, but we can't really judge the decision to scrap ASBOs until the Coalition comes up with an alternative to tackle the problem.

It's also best to keep in mind that the Coalition have made promises to reduce the bureaucracy that police officers tend to get drowned in. So it might not necassarily mean 'fewer police = fewer hours the police collectively spend on the streets' if police numbers do drop because of cuts.

I think what i am most skeptical about , is the whole idea of forcing communities to work together for their own security, without laying the ground work. I mean, the idea will be great in small towns and villages, i just dont see it working where i live in SE London. And unfortunately, these kind of areas are where asbo ridden gangs tend to lurch.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (192)
27.83%
No (498)
72.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed