Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I applied for direct entry into 2nd year of a university and they gave me a conditional of ABB from grades from my HNC & HND at college. So I made them my firm.

I also applied for 2nd year of a university which gave me an unconditional and I made them my insurance.

Problem is, now I want to go to the university I made my insurance - but direct entry into 3rd year instead of 2nd year. I exceeded the grades of ABB for my conditions of my firm, I got AAA. So the question is, can I apply through adjustment to my insurance again but for a higher year? Or could I just ask my firm to release me and call the university which is my insurance and ask them to put me into 3rd year instead of 2nd.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraK87)
    Hi,

I applied for direct entry into 2nd year of a university and they gave me a conditional of ABB from grades from my HNC & HND at college. So I made them my firm.

I also applied for 2nd year of a university which gave me an unconditional and I made them my insurance.

Problem is, now I want to go to the university I made my insurance - but direct entry into 3rd year instead of 2nd year. I exceeded the grades of ABB for my conditions of my firm, I got AAA. So the question is, can I apply through adjustment to my insurance again but for a higher year? Or could I just ask my firm to release me and call the university which is my insurance and ask them to put me into 3rd year instead of 2nd.

Thanks
    Well, you'd probably want to sort out whether your insurance uni will let you go directly into third year. A lot won't, because they want you to spend the majority of undergraduate there.

So find out if they will first of all before doing anything, unless you'd rather go to your insurance than your firm regardless of entry year. And secondly, has your firm offer updated to unconditional yet?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they defo can, people from my year at college have been accepted for direct entry into 3rd year with lower results than me.

Yeah and my firm offer has updated to unconditional

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they defo can, people from my year at college have been accepted for direct entry into 3rd year with lower results than me.

Yeah and my firm offer has updated to unconditional
    So they can, but you need to make sure they will let you.

In that case, best ask UCAS for advice. Because your firm has become unconditional, your insurance will believe you no longer need their place ... but at this stage, they might be willing to reinstate it if your firm rejects you. But check with UCAS.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    So they can, but you need to make sure they will let you.

In that case, best ask UCAS for advice. Because your firm has become unconditional, your insurance will believe you no longer need their place ... but at this stage, they might be willing to reinstate it if your firm rejects you. But check with UCAS.
    UCAS usually tends to claim any swap isn't possible, when actually it is.

The OP should contact their insurance uni first to see if such a course change is possible. Then they need to ask the firm uni to release them. It would be best to get the insurance uni to say in writing they will do this (ie email, as post will be slow) but if not then the OP definitely needs to get the name and job title of whoever says it is ok.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    Be careful: if your firm releases you it will be into Clearing, not to your insurance.

If you have exceeded the requirements of your firm offer, then you should be able to apply to your insurance for 3rd year entry through Adjustment, so without losing your place at your firm. If your insurance won't accept you for third year, then you still have your firm. If you really don't want your firm, at all, then you'll need to check whether your insurance can accept you for 2nd year entry as a Clearing applicant., before burning all your boats.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.