University is the most important decision that should be seriously taken but... Watch

brbr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I messed up with it...It is really shocking how naive and careless i was. Gladly i have a chance but i've got the problem with the selection (although i have a priority and i think that most of you will vote for the same path)
I was choosing unis without deep investigation. For me studying in uk was like - oh wow, and i was really satisfied just with that possibility. I've ended up now with Middlesex Film, Video and Interactive Arts course as a backup and Oxford Brookes Film Studies. I've underestimated myself and looked upon unis 50-100 in the ranking table. Turned out, with my exam results (i'm not from uk so we have a different system) i could get in unis that are ranked 20-30 in the table. (like my friends). I suppose i could get even in better ones but i think the competition there is really huge and choosing mainly among them will be a huge risk. I received a rejection from Bournemouth though (didn't know that it was that good for such courses when applied rly, cuz i don't have lots of experience, only passion and interest). In choosing a firm I rly looked only on the ranking table. I didn't know that skillset (which middlesex has) had such an impact (has it?) Now i'm really wondering should i abort and take a gap year, to make a sobre decision (i've been thinking about different subjects, not sure which ones yet, cuz heard so much that those film university degrees were just a joke with nothing to do about with the industry and that students end up working in mcdonalds or petrol stations. I just don't want to end up on the street and have a degree which will partly (because the main part is myself, my deeds and talents) guarantee me a job with a normal salary that i could live on (that's natural, i think). I am really interested in film production but i think that i will cope with other courses (engineering, business, management etc etc) if my current choices are really lame. I thought about changing middlesex to firm (i think i've got the time) if its course is good. But I heard so much bad opinions about the uni and i'm just confused now. I've been thinking vastly about it for the past week and my head is going to explode

help with some advices?
though i think the majority will be for the gap year cuz it seems really adequate (but the problem is i have no preference among other degrees, i just can't decide, would like to hear some perspective and solid choices though, except medicine cuz i didn't do chemistry and biology (but for my country universities usually want something like 80% or 70% average among 3 state exams (i've got 82%) (math, english, and my home-country language exam which was compulsory and is completely useless) or average mark 4-4.5 in the school (i've got 4) certificate. But it is really pain in the ass to find this information for my country (estonia) on university websites and so i often don't know what are the requirements.

sorry for the spelling
laura_802
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by brbr)
I messed up with it...It is really shocking how naive and careless i was. Gladly i have a chance but i've got the problem with the selection (although i have a priority and i think that most of you will vote for the same path)
I was choosing unis without deep investigation. For me studying in uk was like - oh wow, and i was really satisfied just with that possibility. I've ended up now with Middlesex Film, Video and Interactive Arts course as a backup and Oxford Brookes Film Studies. I've underestimated myself and looked upon unis 50-100 in the ranking table. Turned out, with my exam results (i'm not from uk so we have a different system) i could get in unis that are ranked 20-30 in the table. (like my friends). I suppose i could get even in better ones but i think the competition there is really huge and choosing mainly among them will be a huge risk. I received a rejection from Bournemouth though (didn't know that it was that good for such courses when applied rly, cuz i don't have lots of experience, only passion and interest). In choosing a firm I rly looked only on the ranking table. I didn't know that skillset (which middlesex has) had such an impact (has it?) Now i'm really wondering should i abort and take a gap year, to make a sobre decision (i've been thinking about different subjects, not sure which ones yet, cuz heard so much that those film university degrees were just a joke with nothing to do about with the industry and that students end up working in mcdonalds or petrol stations. I just don't want to end up on the street and have a degree which will partly (because the main part is myself, my deeds and talents) guarantee me a job with a normal salary that i could live on (that's natural, i think). I am really interested in film production but i think that i will cope with other courses (engineering, business, management etc etc) if my current choices are really lame. I thought about changing middlesex to firm (i think i've got the time) if its course is good. But I heard so much bad opinions about it and i'm just confused now. I've been thinking vastly about it for the past week and my head is going to explode

help with some advices?
though i think the majority will be for the gap year cuz it seems really adequate (but the problem is i have no preference among other degrees, i just can't decide, would like to hear some perspective and solid choices though, except medicine cuz i didn't do chemistry and biology (but for my country universities usually want something like 80% or 70% average among 3 state exams (i've got 82%) (math, english, and my home-country language exam which was compulsory and is completely useless) or average mark 4-4.5 in the school (i've got 4) certificate. But it is really pain in the ass to find this information for my country (estonia) on university websites and so i often don't know what are the requirements.

sorry for the spelling
If you're having doubts about your university course already you're perhaps not 100% committed to it and therefore maybe won't enjoy it as much as you would other subjects.

I applied to University twice in two consecutive years because I did something similar the first time round. I reckon withdraw your application, get a job and do loooooooooads of research into what you actually want to do and where you would like to go.
pamelaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wouldn't say it was the most important decision can easily change.
brbr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by laura_802)
If you're having doubts about your university course already you're perhaps not 100% committed to it and therefore maybe won't enjoy it as much as you would other subjects.
actually, i'm pretty sure that i will enjoy those courses
the thing that i'm not sure about is the future perspective because of that places and courses (which some call mickey mouse, if i'm not mistaken, cuz they're rubbish, in their opinion)
i don't want to spend 10 thousand pounds just for fun on an undergraduate degree that will give me a high risk of being unemployed
WhatTheFunk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by brbr)
actually, i'm pretty sure that i will enjoy those courses
the thing that i'm not sure about is the future perspective because of that places and courses (which some call mickey mouse, if i'm not mistaken, cuz they're rubbish, in their opinion)
i don't want to spend 10 thousand pounds just for fun on an undergraduate degree that will give me a high risk of being unemployed
i think everyone is at high risk of being unemployed, the main things are you are doing a course that you enjoy and at a uni you like, to be fair i wouldn't care what other think, your not going to be some top city bankers or whatever, that would tell from your dergee choice, if its the degree you really want to do, go for it work hard for 3 years get the 1st or 2.1

mickey mouse key word in their opinion, who would that be others on the internet or what ever, i really dislike that term :p:
misst911
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by brbr)
I was choosing unis without deep investigation. For me studying in uk was like - oh wow, and i was really satisfied just with that possibility. I've ended up now with Middlesex Film, Video and Interactive Arts course as a backup and Oxford Brookes Film Studies. I've underestimated myself and looked upon unis 50-100 in the ranking table. Turned out, with my exam results (i'm not from uk so we have a different system) i could get in unis that are ranked 20-30 in the table. (like my friends). I suppose i could get even in better ones but i think the competition there is really huge and choosing mainly among them will be a huge risk. I received a rejection from Bournemouth though (didn't know that it was that good for such courses when applied rly, cuz i don't have lots of experience, only passion and interest). In choosing a firm I rly looked only on the ranking table. I didn't know that skillset (which middlesex has) had such an impact (has it?) Now i'm really wondering should i abort and take a gap year, to make a sobre decision (i've been thinking about different subjects, not sure which ones yet, cuz heard so much that those film university degrees were just a joke with nothing to do about with the industry and that students end up working in mcdonalds or petrol stations. I just don't want to end up on the street and have a degree which will partly (because the main part is myself, my deeds and talents) guarantee me a job with a normal salary that i could live on (that's natural, i think). I am really interested in film production but i think that i will cope with other courses (engineering, business, management etc etc) if my current choices are really lame. I thought about changing middlesex to firm (i think i've got the time) if its course is good. But I heard so much bad opinions about the uni and i'm just confused now. I've been thinking vastly about it for the past week and my head is going to explode

help with some advices?

sorry for the spelling
I would go with a gap year, if you know you can get into a better university. It would also give you a chance to maybe visit the country and the universities Good luck!
InsaneFandom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you're really passionate about the film industry then I'd advise you not to change to an unrelated course without SERIOUS thought & research. Afterall, it'd suck coming to a UK university for 3 or more years and spending all that money if you're not completely happy with your course & know you'd much rather be doing something else..

As you've said, I think a gap year would be wise. You could get a job, save some money up & more importantly make sure you've looked into everything so you know you've got the best chance of making the right decision
Good luck
Undulipodium
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Absinth)
I assume you'll be paying international fees, so I would do something that will be well worth the investment. I would take a gap year and reapply the following year, after having done more research about the degrees.
Actually Estonia is in the EU, meaning that this is the UK subsidising an Estonian student to study Film Studies.

Don't you just love the EU?
Mann18
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Undulipodium)
Actually Estonia is in the EU, meaning that this is the UK subsidising an Estonian student to study Film Studies.

Don't you just love the EU?
Political satire doesn't get much better than that. :hat:
Undulipodium
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mann18)
Political satire doesn't get much better than that. :hat:
I struggle to see the funny side :sigh:
mvpgr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
U should have chosen unis from all ranges! maybe u should re apply
llys
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by brbr)

help with some advices?

sorry for the spelling

If you want to get into the likes of Bournemouth you need to work on your portfolio. Do an Art Foundation Year (for example: here) and reapply to universities in the next cycle.

Bournemouth
Hertfordshire
some others
and maybe York

If you are worried about prestige and prospects, also consider these courses:
Media Engineering at University of Surrey
Media Technology at University of York

These are accredited Engineering degrees. + You won't need a portfolio for these courses. But you will need Physics at a high level, it's not clear to me if you have that?
Arekkusu
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by brbr)
Slightly spurious film studies courses...
Middlesex uni...
Abort mission: for one thing, Middlesex says you'll spend your time in London, but probably doesn't count as a London university so you might not get the extra loan for London prices. Don't quote me on this though.

If you're gonna do a film studies course, that's fine, but one from a bad university is completely worthless, apparently. Go to a good university.

There is an option through UCAS whereby, if your offer from Middlesex or wherever is, say, BCC, and you get AAB or something (or the equivalent for Estonia) you can enter the "Adjustment" lottery for a course at a better institution more in line with your better-than-expected grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (75)
19.38%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (157)
40.57%
Nope, not that interesting (155)
40.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed