Personal website Watch

Slick 'n' Shady
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I need to set up a personal website. e.g. slicknshady.com

It will be very very simple. Perhaps one page only contain a form to contact Slick n Shady, or perhaps immediately re-direct to my linked in profile.

My other main use is that I will need an email address linked to it. e.g:

[email protected]

So what do you guys think is the cheapest price I can get for this (1 year)?
Any recommendations of the best provider?
+rep to the best response.

Thanks in advance,

SnS
Idiot-Finder
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Registering the domain if it is free, will cost arouns £7, I use godaddy.. can get emails on it, people use whatever.. it does not make a difference.

You can then find hosting for a few £ a year with google, if it will just be one page you can go for the cheapest.
Chrosson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Worth noting is the (large) difference in price between .com and .co.uk domains - see http://www.123-reg.co.uk/

I also refer you to the sticky in this forum - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1060570
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you don't envisage getting that much traffic to your site and aren't plannning to use it for all that much, your best bet would be NearlyFreeSpeech.NET - it's a pay as you go webhost... which means that if you only want to have a couple of links and you host any images elsewhere (try Dropbox) then the amount of bandwidth your site uses up will probably come to less than £1 per year, if that.
kilowattjester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
get a cheap .info domain main.
asdalol
Report 8 years ago
If thats all you need it for, then get a .com domain from Dynadot.com and set up URL redirection to your Linked In profile or get some basic web hosting for $11.99 a year and you can get email accounts too and put your own website up.
Bhumbauze
Report 8 years ago
If it's really that small, ask around your friends if any have a website. I'd certainly host a small personal website for a friend for free, including an email inbox.

Then all you need is your .com... reliably cheapest I've found is namecheap.com - $10 for a year with free whois protection if it's a .com (means someone can't look up your personal details by doing a "whois" query on your web address) which translates to £6 - £7, depending on exchange rate.

Personally I'd always pay the extra couple of pounds for a .com over a .co.uk, .net, .org etc... it's just what people are "used to" with decent sites.
kilowattjester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You could try freewebs/Webs.
Slick 'n' Shady
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Bhumbauze)
If it's really that small, ask around your friends if any have a website. I'd certainly host a small personal website for a friend for free, including an email inbox.

Then all you need is your .com... reliably cheapest I've found is namecheap.com - $10 for a year with free whois protection if it's a .com (means someone can't look up your personal details by doing a "whois" query on your web address) which translates to £6 - £7, depending on exchange rate.

Personally I'd always pay the extra couple of pounds for a .com over a .co.uk, .net, .org etc... it's just what people are "used to" with decent sites.
This is really good info I defo don't want my personal details on WhoIs.
I will look this up. +rep

I prob would rather pay to have my own independence rather than ask a friend though.

Thanks
THRASHx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
GoDaddy always have deals on. You can find infinite amounts of discount codes on the web too, I signed up to their mailing list and always get emails telling me about how theres x% off.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.46%
No (613)
72.54%

Watched Threads