Best Phone That Isn't an iPhone or Desire? Watch

Colbert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
We're looking at getting a business contract for 4 phones at work and it would appear that the iPhone 4 and HTC Desire are out of our price range. Therefore I'm looking at the next tier of phones (some of which may admittedly be just as expensive). Has anyone got any experience, thoughts or comments on the following:

Samsung Galaxy S
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini
HTC Legend
iPhone 3GS
Samsung Wave
HTC Wildfire
Google Nexus One

Some are older than others and some are cheaper than others, I'm trying to keep options open as best as I can, so any useful thoughts are welcomed.

Cheers
Lamasamaka
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why not check to see which ones are in your price range and narrow down the list?

There's no use me telling you about the Nexus One if it's more expensive than the Desire, right?
UndercoverNerd
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
I dont really have much to share about the actual phones but i have a HTC and i love it.. although occassionally my messages application decides to be a bit dodgy.. but since i have updated it it has been fine.. would highly recommend HTC phones
Colbert
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Lamasamaka)
Why not check to see which ones are in your price range and narrow down the list?

There's no use me telling you about the Nexus One if it's more expensive than the Desire, right?
I've done a bit of research but with so many options I've been getting different quotes. One place had the Nexus One cheap and another was ridiculously expensive and both offers had similar usage offers. Was just hoping for some experiences of any of them tbh, they all seem to have gotten good media and consumer reviews so it's hard to differentiate.
Louises1990
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sony Ericsson Vivaz. I have it and love it.
yoyo462001
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Galaxy S is the best phone on the market first of all, the Nexus one is basically a slightly better spec'd version of the HTC Desire. I would for the HTC Legend next.
Lamasamaka
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well any phone with Android + 1GHz Snapdragon is going to be almost identical.

I recommend the Desire because I have it and I haven't had such a good experience on any other phone (that goes for Nexus One, too. It's almost exactly the same).

Go for Android and you'll have fun. Avoid the Legend if it's for work. The Legend is for pretty looks only
scott202
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Colbert)
We're looking at getting a business contract for 4 phones at work and it would appear that the iPhone 4 and HTC Desire are out of our price range. Therefore I'm looking at the next tier of phones (some of which may admittedly be just as expensive). Has anyone got any experience, thoughts or comments on the following:

Samsung Galaxy S
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini
HTC Legend
iPhone 3GS
Samsung Wave
HTC Wildfire
Google Nexus One

Some are older than others and some are cheaper than others, I'm trying to keep options open as best as I can, so any useful thoughts are welcomed.

Cheers
Samsung Wave

http://wave.samsungmobile.com/

Wave vs Nexus one

The screen is a Super AMOLED and it's to die for It's got the same processor in as the iPad and records video in 720p

Zebrastripes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why not a BB if it's for work. BBM would be so easy for keeping in contact with your colleagues.

Samsung Galaxy S - I personally don't like it. I have one here, and it's huge, is a bit like an iPhone and I think there are better Android phones.
iPhone 3GS - I've seen this for £25 a month, but why go for the older version when there are other better phones on the market.
HTC Wildfire - I have this one too, I love it. I've had a play with it and it's like a smaller Desire. I prefer it mostly because it fits in my pocket better. It's a great Android phone!
Google Nexus One - expensive

These are just my opinions
kilowattjester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Nokia N8 is coming out soon.
Aisha M
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
After HTC desire and Iphone4, the next best budget smartphone with andriod and all the features is HTC Wildfire! Ive dun alot of research through review, experiences, prices etc and iv decided i will be buying this phone soon! =D Its just a matter of when the white one will be out!
markuk99
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
samsung galaxy s

better than bothe the iphone4 and htc desire (in both raw specs, and features), also runs android, so tens of thousands of free apps such as google sat nav etc, plus it is cheaper than both the desire and iphone4, with the best screen out currently on a mobile phone
cdsmith1990
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by markuk99)
samsung galaxy s

better than bothe the iphone4 and htc desire (in both raw specs, and features), also runs android, so tens of thousands of free apps such as google sat nav etc, plus it is cheaper than both the desire and iphone4, with the best screen out currently on a mobile phone
Better than the Retina Display??
Aisha M
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by markuk99)
samsung galaxy s

How much can your rougly get a samsung galaxy S for on PAYG?
scott202
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by G8D)
Nope.

OP go for the Galaxy S if you can
http://www.techeye.net/chips/samsung...cessor-as-ipad
yoyo462001
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by G8D)
Hm.. Interesting.
Thanks for the link.

I was under the impression that Apple made that processor themselves.
Yeah I thought you'd at least know that. To be honest I prefer this processor to the Snapdragons. Hopefully Qualcomm's next batch will be more battery efficient and MUCH better as GPU acceleration.

Spoiler:
Show
You're a sub :camp:
Aisha M
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by G8D)
The Hummingbird looks quite good.
But we'll be looking at dual core awesomeness by the time I'm upgrading :awesome:

Spoiler:
Show
Yup
this tech-talk is confuzzling me care to explain in simple words?
Aisha M
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by G8D)
Different processors.
Same speed.
But they are not the same in terms of what they can do..

Does that help at all?
yep and what can one do that the other cannot?
Aisha M
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by G8D)
Well.. Most processors do the same thing.. Process data and stuff :p:
So it's all about how well they do this..

But IIRC the Hummingbird has built in graphics processing that is second to none. But don't hold me to that.
and which fone has the hummingbird?
and what processor does the htc wildfire have?
haydenong
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
After using the Motorola Milestone for a couple of months, I say I'm rather impressed by it. The Google Android OS really is phenomenal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads