I'm scared about starting college in September. Watch

HamsterdanceX
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
And no I'm not troilling :laugh:

Anyway; I'm really scared about the whole thing, I know I should be excited about starting college and not having to go back to my old crappy secondary for another year, which I'm glad about tho'. It's a scary thought, I do know a few of my friends are going to the same college but wont be in any of my classes and I'd only see them at lunch and break times depending on their timetable. I'm mad in every way, and known for intimating people a lot, basically people will think 'wow she's a mad one' and walks away. I don't want to be a loner, do you think people like mad, crazy and not so funny people like me? I'm terrible at jokes and what not but I still pull of jokes. Not forgetting I have Autism which means my social skills are useless.

Any advice would be much grateful.

Kirsty xxx
S.R
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by HamsterdanceX)

Anyway; I'm really scared about the whole thing, I know I should be excited about starting college and not having to go back to my old crappy secondary for another year, which I'm glad about tho'. It's a scary thought, I do know a few of my friends are going to the same college but wont be in any of my classes and I'd only see them at lunch and break times depending on their timetable. I'm mad in every way, and known for intimating people a lot, basically people will think 'wow she's a mad one' and walks away. I don't want to be a loner, do you think people like mad, crazy and not so funny people like me? I'm terrible at jokes and what not but I still pull of jokes. Not forgetting I have Autism which means my social skills are useless.

Kirsty xxx
College is fun
Jackthevillain
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't worry in some ways I had the same fears when I didnt go to my schools sixth form this year instead college youll make friends with people who are in your classes it just happens.
Mann18
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just relax, you'll make friends in classes.
Just make sure they like you back, we spent quite a while "hinting" at this guy that he wasn't a good fit on our group before he left, after a year.

He was resilient.
F.I
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by S.R)
College is grim if you have AS like me.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post26394761
:lolwut: Wow, your school allowed you to bunk an entire academic year!

OP, don't worry, important thing is to remember to treat people how you wish to be treated.
FlippinEl
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Try and stand out the first day, not in a weird way though. In this world first impressions are made on looks and confidence, so don't knock your chances right at the start. Do your hair the way you know it looks nicest, maybe put good mascara to highlight your eyes, wear something you look good in (for eg. If you have good legs wear a good pair of jeans or leggings). But most importantly, be confident. Walk like you know where you're going, don't look down, ask the people you sit next to what their name is at the start of each class. Most people don't know you so if they see a presentable confident girl who greets them with a smile they'll automatically have respect for you
ranbow99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was like you, I won't lie though the first few weeks were terrible. I was actually thinking of quiting college...
But it got so much better and I met some really nice people I enjoyed A2 a lot better, and you'll make friends in all your classes, just be confident and friendly and you'll be okay. Just focus on your studies (that is what you're there for!) and don't get too mixed up in the 'social' life of college (saying that still have a good time, just get the balance right )

I'm 100 times more scared about uni then I was about college So enjoy your time as it will go SO fast! x
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
On the first/few days you'll most likely have ice breaker sessions with your form (Who you won't see as much after the first few days). They normally give timetables/room numbers etc here. Once you've received/understood all this information which is crucial, start talking to other students in the class. Talk about what subjects they've chosen, what they're doing at lunch (If they're not doing anything, ask them if they want to grab somthing to eat). Just be outgoing and don't be afraid to let out your personality, if you're quiet,shy and dull this will hinder your chances of making loads of friends and having a awesome college expierence. Also don't do what the class nerd in my class did, don't call your form teacher Sir/Miss, call them by their first names. You're an adult and treated like an adult in college, so don't be stuck up and chat to the teacher too much, they're only there if you need help with stuff like clashing lessons, signing EMA and so on. Also what I did was make sure the other guys and girls remember your name after the first day, make jokes like I don't know, emm, just be a bunddle of fun to be with. Also when going to classes, don't try finding the room and panic, other people will think your the geek. Just walk into class late if you have too, the teacher won't care because it's all new to you. Finally, most important of all, don't let anybody tell you what to do (Obviously teachers can)

Sorry about any sp mistakes, I thought I'd do an essay as I was in your situation once
S.R
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Me and the science department get along fine
ranbow99
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by S.R)
Me and the science department are good friends, so they agreed to cover up the fact that I was bunking lessons for me. They knew I would work at home you see. Getting out of maths was a pain however, I had 3 teachers and every single one of them threatened to kick me out for bunking at least once but I think they were too impressed by my over-enthusiasm for the subject (think coming up with my own formulae and theories) they also allowed me after I bunked half my C2 lessons and got 91%

No OP worry and worry hard. I'm just being realistic here, My AS is mild and I still had a awful time at college.
Yeah but your college may be totally different to the OPs college. I went to a good college and didn't have any major problems, the teaching was generally really good and the facilities and help I got was good too. I guess it just depends, not everyones situation will be like yours! Most people I knew at college enjoyed their time, although I was happy to leave as I had enough of A levels by June and couldn't wait for uni :p:
fourdigit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by HamsterdanceX)

Kirsty xxx

Be yourself, you were Class of 2010, surely you must be a friendly person. College is 2 years long, 1st year of college is harder than GCSE, 2nd year is way harder than the 1st year of college, bare that in mind.

Other than time, have fun both academically and socially:yep:

Takes time to fit into the right crowd
S.R
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mann18)
we spent quite a while "hinting" at this guy that he wasn't a good fit on our group before he left, after a year.

He was resilient.
lool
S.R
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ranbow99)
Yeah but your college may be totally different to the OPs college. I went to a good college and didn't have any major problems, the teaching was generally really good and the facilities and help I got was good too. I guess it just depends, not everyones situation will be like yours! Most people I knew at college enjoyed their time, although I was happy to leave as I had enough of A levels by June and couldn't wait for uni :p:
Do you have AS?
xPickles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I didnt know anybody either when i first started but quickly made alot of new friends. The teachers held games/quizzes/competitions to get everyone talking for the first week which helped everyone a lot.
I was very shy for the first couple of days, but then opened up alot more since everyone started getting to know one another more during the games. Then you will find out that some of the other classmates have the same thing in common as you and then you will become friends and hopefully have a great first year in college.
F.I
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by S.R)
Me and the science department are good friends, so they agreed to cover up the fact that I was bunking lessons for me. They knew I would work at home you see. Getting out of maths was a pain however, I had 3 teachers and every single one of them threatened to kick me out for bunking at least once but I think they were too impressed by my over-enthusiasm for the subject (think coming up with my own formulae and theories) they also allowed me after I bunked half my C2 lessons and got 91%

No OP worry and worry hard. I'm just being realistic here, My AS is mild and I still had a awful time at college.
Why do i have a feeling you go to Woodhouse?
I dont understand why you have this anti-social thing going on, surely you get on with some people?
ranbow99
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by S.R)
Do you have AS?
Yeah I did
S.R
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by F.I)
I dont understand why you have this anti-social thing going on, surely you get on with some people?
that is soo creepy you said that, I was gonna go there you kno.
S.R
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by F.I)
how do u kno about wh?
S.R
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ranbow99)
Yeah I did
Did?? They found a cure??:eek3:
F.I
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by S.R)
1) how do u kno about wh?

2) AS makes u anti-social.
1) Your location is North London, your college sounds like a big college, so i assumed woodhouse

2) sorry for my stupidity, but what is AS?

OMG your a chemist! :wavey:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads