Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A66 - Referendums Amendment; Proposer: Metrobeans; seconders: Adorno, Matthew_Lowson, The Referee, paddy__power, Cardozo, Jangrafess and daniel_williamsThe Amendment provides for the addition of referendums to the MHoC. These will be posted in the General Discussion for the main population of TSR to vote to vote on.

To insert into the Constitution after the Vote of No Confidence Section:

10. Referendums
    10.1 A referendum can be held at any point during the term to decide the outcome of a constitutional matter.1

10.2 Referendums will be voted on by the populous of TSR (who meet requirements - see guidance document).

10.3 A referendum can be called by process of a Bill being passed or a petition of MP's.

To insert into the Guidance Document after the Motions Section:

Referendums

1) A referendum can be called by:

1.1) - A bill being passed by the House of commons to hold a referendum.

1.2) - A petition being signed by 50% of sitting MP's.

2) The Petition (if used) shall be in the following format: "We the undersigned call for a referendum on..... with the question......"

3) Referendums will have to be approved by the Speaker and Supermod/administration team before taking place.

4) A thread will be posted in General discussion along with a poll posing the question to the members of TSR.

5) The populous of TSR eligible to vote will have 3 months experience and more than 150 posts.

6) Referendums may not pass with less than a 50%+1 majority, but a bill or petition may stipulate a higher percentage.

7) Voting for a referendum will last 4 days.

8) No more than 1 referendum may be called in a single term of parliament.

9) A member of the administration / supermod /moderations team will be the returning officer during a referendum.2

Other:

Post Count LimitThis amendment directs the Speaker to update in the Constitution and Guidance Document from 250 to 150, any post count limit on eligibility to vote.3

Notes1: Stuff like how RL elections are run, how the RL parliament runs, Europe, devolution, etc etc. I’d like feedback on this, if you feel the term is too vague or specific, let me know.
    2: (only an idea as the HoC mod nor the speaker have the correct permissions to deal with any issues in GD and its slightly different to a general election which my moderation team in GD deal with anyway).
    3: To keep us in line with updated TSR’s updated newbie filter.

ReputationRep:
    A few relatively small points:

Can I suggest we stop using the 50%+1 requirement? That isn't a majority, since (for example) with 35 voters, 18 is a majority but is less than 50%+1. >50% is a majority

Also, can I ask why the section for the Constitution is needed as well as the GD section? What does it add? The only use of the Constitution is to make something binding and not open to the Speaker amending it if they wish, yet nothing in the Constitution section is a binding commitment for the Speaker.

Lastly, I think you need to be a little more specific on "constitutional matters", since I would take that to mean matters affecting our constitution.

I like the idea though!

Agreed on 50%+1, it's either really awkward wording or just plain wrong.

Nick...

didn't we want to have the referendum coming after Bills and amendments and before VONC's? which would make it point 10 in the constitution... then re-number accordingly.

if anyone hadn't guessed notes 2 was something I suggested :p: so i'd be prepared for backlash on that. as an MP it woludn't be me but we'd get someone from the mod team to oversee everything in GD to ensure that the rules of the HoC are enforced upon that thread.

Will the Gudance document is the instructions side of things.

the constitution part of it jsut outlines what the referendum is, pretty much the same as opposition, bills, amendments and motions.

ReputationRep:
    100% Aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    A few relatively small points:

Can I suggest we stop using the 50%+1 requirement? That isn't a majority, since (for example) with 35 voters, 18 is a majority but is less than 50%+1. >50% is a majority
    Will change.
    Also, can I ask why the section for the Constitution is needed as well as the GD section? What does it add? The only use of the Constitution is to make something binding and not open to the Speaker amending it if they wish, yet nothing in the Constitution section is a binding commitment for the Speaker.
    Just to establish its existence in the MHoC and set in stone the basic principles of how they work.
    Lastly, I think you need to be a little more specific on "constitutional matters", since I would take that to mean matters affecting our constitution.
    Hmm. How about if I changed it to read "real life constitutional matters, including but not limited to..."?
    (Original post by daniel_williams)
    Nick...

didn't we want to have the referendum coming after Bills and amendments and before VONC's? which would make it point 10 in the constitution... then re-number accordingly.
    I though referendums might sit better next to the motions section, but I'm happy to change it if you wish.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    When all is said and done, this will be an aye from me.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. :yy:
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Seems like a great Amendment to me. Hope it gets passed!

ReputationRep:
    Aye!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty clear that I agree with this
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    This Amendment may as well be put to vote soon. It seems to have universal support and will allow TSR UKIP to proceed with their Referendum on Europe Bill.

ReputationRep:
    This has been taken to a Second Reading, here.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.