Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Most people base their confidence on their looks, or their possessions, but what if a person got disfigured or got old and lost their looks? What if a person was rich, but lost their money? Would they be an insecure wreck?

Are most people who are confident (or claim they are) only so based on superficial things?

ReputationRep:
    No! You're confusing confidence with pride!

Confidence is belief in yourself and your abilities.
    Pride is a feeling of personal worth.

Confidence has nothing to do with your looks and possessions. It's a trust in your ability.

ReputationRep:
    Well, after watching that programme about the model girl who had acid thrown at her face, yes.

ReputationRep:
    If people did base their confidence on looks or possessions. Then loosing any of these would automatically shatter their confidence and therefore result in securities.

I have met so many people who try to appear confident because they're good looking or have a really nice car, but to me they just come across as arrogant and cocky.
    Confidence is good with a little humbleness.

ReputationRep:
    Confidence is like a balloon

ReputationRep:
    My confidence isn't based on looks or money. Confidence is belief, and belief gets you what you want, which is evidence for more confidence.

ReputationRep:
    I get you
    So many people think confidence means getting all the girls/guys, getting the money, being the best looking. But a lot of these people are getting off on these things to feel wanted because secretly they are insecure of their true personality, and try and forget that by having a lot of 'fun'.
    I know too many people like this, and I'm glad I've realised at my age. Rather focus on my education, feeding my intelligence and personality that will stay with me my whole life

ReputationRep:
    another legendary thread by rajandkwameali

ReputationRep:
    I belive that truely confident people are ones who are socially regarded quite high, and at the same time dont have to regularly run others down to feel better about themselfs.

Confident is being completely happy with yourself and if you are in this state then you are unlikely to have much nasty to say/think about anyone else. If you are completely confident then why would you get worked up running other people down?

This is often how I determin between someone who is truely confident, or someone who is covering up insecurities. So yes I think confidence can be hollow sometimes.

IMO

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. Some people are nasty just because they can be, not due to insecurity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    No! You're confusing confidence with pride!

Confidence is belief in yourself and your abilities.
    Pride is a feeling of personal worth.

Confidence has nothing to do with your looks and possessions. It's a trust in your ability.

Confidence is personal worth, which stems from a belief in yourself and your abilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basketofsnakes)
    another legendary thread by rajandkwameali

the ego has spoken. As if all people act to suit your benefit.

ReputationRep:
    confidence is the ability to be happy with yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlippinEl)
    I get you
    So many people think confidence means getting all the girls/guys, getting the money, being the best looking. But a lot of these people are getting off on these things to feel wanted because secretly they are insecure of their true personality, and try and forget that by having a lot of 'fun'.
    I know too many people like this, and I'm glad I've realised at my age. Rather focus on my education, feeding my intelligence and personality that will stay with me my whole life
    amen

ReputationRep:
    What about self esteem? You can be confident, but it can be taken to be a temporary state of being. If you have self esteem/self worth, it means that you value your entire self. With confidence, you then are willing to do anything you want to do. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think confidence is so much more than that. It's something which resonates inside you. I think confidence means having courage, and not being afraid to try new things and learn from mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrannosaurus Cal)
    Confidence is like a balloon
    Floaty?

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.