Which college to choose? Watch

Missy Sara
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So i've spent the last few weeks reasearching the different york colleges. And now i'm even more confused. As i have an unconditional offer i need to have decided by the 2nd august.

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Basically this is what i'm looking for.

1) Central to campus
2) Easy access to social work department
3) I like some social, but not endless parties
4) No ensuite
5) Must be 38 week rent
6) Cheapest possible

So any advice?
etnies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Vanbrugh ... though I don't know where the social dept is , Vanbrugh is the cheapest , central based and probably social enough to accommodate your needs
Phantom_X
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was gna say Vanbrugh too, though tbh it depends on what room you want. I myself am going for Alcuin, mainly because the thought of sharing a shower kinda wierds me out. After living with 7 people and having one bathroom, I think I deserve my own one !
Most colleges apart from Goodricke are near campus though from what i remember. I also hear that Derwent is good for parties.
Missy Sara
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i'm really not a huge party girl. Like a love a good night out. But also need my peace and quiet. Not wanting ensuite. Reckon i'll go for vanbrugh- it's been well recommended.
Sariya
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Vanbrugh.

Probably the best college in the world, y'know.
PatmaCrotch
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I want to go for Vanbrugh but the beds look like little more than camp beds, I slee a lot I need my comfort!
Sariya
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PatmaCrotch)
I want to go for Vanbrugh but the beds look like little more than camp beds, I slee a lot I need my comfort!
The whole University's like that. :p:

(Wo)man up and just take it- they're perfectly comfortable!
PatmaCrotch
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I must woman up then and take it!

Vanburgh has sold its self to me, what are the events like?
h5656bh52ptecsw
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I really have no idea, and we have to choose on monday!

I can't decide on whether to have ensuite or catered...reckon its between vanburgh or derwent though..

help anyone!
BradLBlackwell
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by xands)
I really have no idea, and we have to choose on monday!

I can't decide on whether to have ensuite or catered...reckon its between vanburgh or derwent though..

help anyone!
I was stuck between Vanbrugh, James and Derwent.
Derwent is out due to catering, but I really like how scuzzy Derwent is, in a wrong way.
Vanbrugh, I don't want to go 33-week and go for band 4 so I can't go for new Vanbrugh. Old Vanbrugh I'm not sure, it's scuzzy but might be fun.
James band 2 accommodation looks good, as long as I don't get block N. Which hopefully I won't as I have an unconditional. May just go for that.
Doubt it even matters that much! It'll all be fun! I just don't want a tiny room as I want to bring my Double Bass!
Sariya
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PatmaCrotch)
Vanburgh has sold its self to me, what are the events like?
I only went to a few of them- they tend to be quite good, really.

Although, Derwent clearly has better events than anywhere on campus.
supercoolfred
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AirRaven)
I only went to a few of them- they tend to be quite good, really.

Although, Derwent clearly has better events than anywhere on campus.
hint of sarcasm...
Derwent's are probably the most well-attended, and the bar is going through a renovation over summer so will look nice for next year.

Vanbrugh is nice tho. Good location. Wouldnt have minded being in Vanbrugh.
h5656bh52ptecsw
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by BradLBlackwell)
I was stuck between Vanbrugh, James and Derwent.
Derwent is out due to catering, but I really like how scuzzy Derwent is, in a wrong way.
Vanbrugh, I don't want to go 33-week and go for band 4 so I can't go for new Vanbrugh. Old Vanbrugh I'm not sure, it's scuzzy but might be fun.
James band 2 accommodation looks good, as long as I don't get block N. Which hopefully I won't as I have an unconditional. May just go for that.
Doubt it even matters that much! It'll all be fun! I just don't want a tiny room as I want to bring my Double Bass!
Yeh, I can't figure out whether catering is a good or bad thing... Vanbrugh has its own canteen and coffee shop which seems pretty good.

Know what you mean about band 4, tempted though coz although its more expensive it's only 33 weeks....

Know what you mean though, any of them will be fun!!
Double bass? Nice- good thing about Vanbrugh is it's so close to the music school so you could just leave it there!
BradLBlackwell
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by xands)
Yeh, I can't figure out whether catering is a good or bad thing... Vanbrugh has its own canteen and coffee shop which seems pretty good.

Know what you mean about band 4, tempted though coz although its more expensive it's only 33 weeks....

Know what you mean though, any of them will be fun!!
Double bass? Nice- good thing about Vanbrugh is it's so close to the music school so you could just leave it there!
I may go for James. Maybe Vanbrugh, oh who knows!!!
Do you think the music department would have me store my upright there even though I don't study music? (I'm doing Physics)
h5656bh52ptecsw
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by BradLBlackwell)
I may go for James. Maybe Vanbrugh, oh who knows!!!
Do you think the music department would have me store my upright there even though I don't study music? (I'm doing Physics)
Right reckon ive got it...gonna try for new vanbrugh (although its a 33 week let, which means moving out will be a bit of a ****!

now need to decide on back up choices...trying to figure out if my budget can stretch to Alcuin!

Yeh i reckon so mate, just tell them you're playing in a york uni ensemble, I'm sure they'll let you!

9am, no need to pull an all nighter then!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (141)
46.08%
Pro-humanity (165)
53.92%

Watched Threads