Turn on thread page Beta

university is so depressing/boring watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m starting my 4th and final year at king’s in september. I have really strict parents and have not been able to experience or literally do anything, I’m only allowed to go to class and then have to go straight home. I feel I have really missed out by not being able to make friends or enjoy anything about uni. At king’s I hardly know anyone, I used to have a lot of friends at school but most of them now have their own new friends at their unis. A lot of people say university is meant to be the best years of your life, but for me it has been like prison. I don’t know whether its possible to have the same level of friendship with people I will now only meet once I graduate compared to the friends I could have made at uni.

ReputationRep:
    YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Go travel. Just, try and get your bsc sorted and run away and go nurse some baby manitees back to health, for your own sanity! For the love of God, do it!

ReputationRep:
    Are you Asian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinceOfCats)
    Are you Asian?
    yes and male

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kings87)
    I’m starting my 4th and final year at king’s in september. I have really strict parents and have not been able to experience or literally do anything, I’m only allowed to go to class and then have to go straight home. I feel I have really missed out by not being able to make friends or enjoy anything about uni. At king’s I hardly know anyone, I used to have a lot of friends at school but most of them now have their own new friends at their unis. A lot of people say university is meant to be the best years of your life, but for me it has been like prison. I don’t know whether its possible to have the same level of friendship with people I will now only meet once I graduate compared to the friends I could have made at uni.
    **** man get away from them. The only thing they can control you with is money. If you secretly find your own accommodation and job then afterwards announce it to them, they can either like it or lump it. If they don't like it just go chill at your new pad. I don't understand how people can still be controlled by their parents as adults. Revolution man! Revolution!

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: You should've gone to a uni far from home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Go travel. Just, try and get your bsc sorted and run away and go nurse some baby manitees back to health, for your own sanity! For the love of God, do it!
    What he said Fair enough, you have a year left to endure, but you can focus on your studies for the final year and plan your freedom for when you finish. I assume you're not allowed a job either so have no money? It'll change when you finish, there's no point in resenting the fact that you didn't have a good uni experience. If you get sorted into a career and get some money together, you could do a masters/PhD or another course later, even part time, to give yourself the chance again.

ReputationRep:
    urgh, London.

ReputationRep:
    Get away from them. They're doing you no good at all.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you man? 21 ,22? Tell your parents they can't control you. University is supposed to help you find your feet and be independent...and you are experiencing none of this, which is worrying.

ReputationRep:
    Damn man, I would expect them to be able to control you at school, not uni!

Don't dispair too much, you can still break away and enjoy your life after uni is finished. However, I warn you that once you start work you'll realise just how much you've missed out on the chance to be care-free and joyful with people your own age.

Still, if you travel you can still enjoy the fruits of youth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!
    I completely agree.

MOVE OUT. You should have applied somewhere further away from home... GO TRAVELLING.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kings87)
    This is exactly the reason why I would go to University far from home.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to assume by your name you were born in 87, making you.. 23?

Get financially independent and get out of there! Do you want to be one of those 30 year olds who still lives with the parentals?

ReputationRep:
    You should have applied to unis far awy...what is wrong with you...maybe you still felt you needed them near. Even if you got in, yo u could have told them kings rejected you...but i guess its too late to think of the past now....what you have to do, is tell you're parents you want to do a Phd. This should be acceptable to them. Im sure you dont actually want to hurt your parents by ruinning away etc...but for the sake of your future u have to break loose! If not you will be married to some indian woman from a small village in a few years, and you will forever live at home with wife and parents.

Apply for a phd, far away, say its the only place that have accepted you. move. get a job, work, and fore yourself to go out. daaaamn

ReputationRep:
    man up and tell your parents to **** off and let you get a life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    :rofl: You should've gone to a uni far from home.
    Exactly this!!!
    Do a masters in another city!..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by easter_bunny)
    I'm going to assume by your name you were born in 87, making you.. 23?

Get financially independent and get out of there! Do you want to be one of those 30 year olds who still lives with the parentals?
    Well 22 if he was born later in the year, duhhhh! :P

ReputationRep:
    One of my mates had this. She had to choose either Kent Uni or a London one, just so she could commute in.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao norragain

If I won the lottery right

I'd hold a compulsory 'Strict Asian Parents' convention and give them all weed telling them it's a secret chemical that enhances brain power and increases the likelihood that their child(ren) will not fornicate and give them each a carrier bagful to take home.

And I'd teach their children bout depression/social anxiety and their symptoms and major causes so they could recognise their own symptoms and hopefully act on it (e.g. GO TO UNI AWAY FROM HOME USHDFAFUAHEDH) before they think the hopeless feeling is the norm and go through life with a twisted version of what respect and love are that cannot be applied cross culturally leading them to never fully integrate into Western society, worsening their own problems and leading to deep, unnecessary divisions within society D:

And I'd buy lots of bunnies because I like them :3

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.