Hartley Grove Watch

lucyj919
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Has anyone been allocated this accommodation or have any info on it?!xx
Lauren_Alexandra28
Report 8 years ago
Hi Lucy! Yeah it is one of the newest and nicest! Apparently flats of 6 people. The rooms are lovely and pretty spacious for halls, and also have ensuite which is great! Pretty close to Highfield campus too, where the new Biomed (life sciences) Building will be ready in September 2010 too!
callum9999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lauren_Alexandra28)
Hi Lucy! Yeah it is one of the newest and nicest! Apparently flats of 6 people. The rooms are lovely and pretty spacious for halls, and also have ensuite which is great! Pretty close to Highfield campus too, where the new Biomed (life sciences) Building will be ready in September 2010 too!
I've just got an offer for here, and I'll be doing Biomedical Sciences - sounds perfect! Shame about the cost though, 4.5k - I really should have looked into that more before making my choices.
Lauren_Alexandra28
Report 8 years ago
Yeah it is pretty expensive, but definitely worth it! So us 3 are all doing biomed! Add me on facebook guys if you want, Lauren Alexandra Jeffries
Ciambottina
Report 8 years ago
I also got an offer for Hartley grove. I wanted Chancellor's courts. I don't like the fact that we have to top up electricity for our rooms in Hartley. But I'm feeling better now about it after reading all of your posts. I will be doing my course in the new biomed sciences building which will be ready in September so am glad to hear it's close. Exactly how close though? 5 mins? 10 mins? Is chancellors closer to the new building?
I'm_Unsafe.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ciambottina)
I also got an offer for Hartley grove. I wanted Chancellor's courts. I don't like the fact that we have to top up electricity for our rooms in Hartley. But I'm feeling better now about it after reading all of your posts. I will be doing my course in the new biomed sciences building which will be ready in September so am glad to hear it's close. Exactly how close though? 5 mins? 10 mins? Is chancellors closer to the new building?
Hartley is marginally closer and depending how fast you walk, you could get there in 5 mins (if it's 10 to 9 and you've overslept :p:) to 15 minutes wandering slowly with friends.

I would say, if you're stingy, there is an advantage to topping up your electricity, instead of turning the heating and the lights on you just shove on a sweater and sit in the dark. Save a bit of money that way.
Ciambottina
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
Hartley is marginally closer and depending how fast you walk, you could get there in 5 mins (if it's 10 to 9 and you've overslept :p:) to 15 minutes wandering slowly with friends.

I would say, if you're stingy, there is an advantage to topping up your electricity, instead of turning the heating and the lights on you just shove on a sweater and sit in the dark. Save a bit of money that way.

lol..Don't think i'll be leaving any elctronics on standby! But..Our weekly rent is 113 something. Total for standard contract 4533 for en ensuite. Which is pretty much the same as other sites on Glen. And I like having the heater on all the time during the winter. Hoping that doesn't become too costly.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bring earplugs if you like sleep!
I'm_Unsafe.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
lol..Don't think i'll be leaving any elctronics on standby! But..Our weekly rent is 113 something. Total for standard contract 4533 for en ensuite. Which is pretty much the same as other sites on Glen. And I like having the heater on all the time during the winter. Hoping that doesn't become too costly.
Really? I think mine was 115 last year (Chancellor's Courts, premium). But I guess that's what you get when you go ensuite. I know I nearly had a heart attack when I saw how much my annual fees were.

EDIT: Oh, 103 apparently. Thought it was more than that.
leckie
Report 8 years ago
Woah it seems like everyones doing biomed! I just accepted my offer from Hartley Grove last night... as it expired this morning and i just got back from holiday... so that was close. I'm doing marine biology so my lectures are at highfield and the nocs (which is 4 miles away... effort), but i think i chose right by choosing glen eyre.

few questions for anyone that knows the answers!!

1. what are the rates for the electricity top ups in the room? how much does it cost?

2. how much is a bus pass? i remember someone telling me that a bus pass is free with accomodation? not too sure though!

3. what are the flats like? I know they are with 6/7 people and with a kitchen. are there any like communal areas in each flat or is it just one for the whole halls?

4. and finally! what are your thoughts on like tvs and stuff? is it worth bringing one in the first year?

thank you!! and to anyone who i has chosen hartley grove, add me on facebook!
Lauren_Alexandra28
Report 8 years ago
[QUOTE=leckie]Woah it seems like everyones doing biomed! I just accepted my offer from Hartley Grove last night... as it expired this morning and i just got back from holiday... so that was close. I'm doing marine biology so my lectures are at highfield and the nocs (which is 4 miles away... effort), but i think i chose right by choosing glen eyre.

1. what are the rates for the electricity top ups in the room? how much does it cost?

2. how much is a bus pass? i remember someone telling me that a bus pass is free with accomodation? not too sure though!

3. what are the flats like? I know they are with 6/7 people and with a kitchen. are there any like communal areas in each flat or is it just one for the whole halls?

4. and finally! what are your thoughts on like tvs and stuff? is it worth bringing one in the first year?

Hey guys,

Electricity top ups won't be much, some people say they put on about£30-40 for the year, so not bad at all! The bus passes come free with accommodation at the uni for the first year, in the next years after halls you would have to pay around £300 a year for a bus pass, but most students just walk/cylce, etc.

The flats are pretty nice, about 6 people to a flat, with a big enough kitchen for you all to congregate in and hang out. TV's personally I found I didn't need it, and used iplayer etc on the internet, there are no aerials in the halls so you would need to bring a portable one and supposedly the legal requirement is to have individual TV licences! xxx
Shebzski
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Apparently the electric heaters in the rooms rinses through your electricity so you might want to avoid using that too much.
MasoSato
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lauren_Alexandra28)
So us 3 are all doing biomed!
Make that 4.
nikki_louise
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by leckie)
Woah it seems like everyones doing biomed! I just accepted my offer from Hartley Grove last night... as it expired this morning and i just got back from holiday... so that was close. I'm doing marine biology so my lectures are at highfield and the nocs (which is 4 miles away... effort), but i think i chose right by choosing glen eyre.

thank you!! and to anyone who i has chosen hartley grove, add me on facebook!
hiya, i was in hartley grove nearly two years ago so i can answer your questions.

1- well i didnt have heating on for nearly the whole year, but stayed right until the end of my contract and only went home for xmas and easter and ended up spending about £30, on it, the little machine in the wardrobe will tell you how much you have, so dont worry too much, you might also be lucky and have quiet a lot left on the machine when you get there- i had £15, where as some only had a fiver.

2-bus pass is included in the first year, and the bus stop is literally a minute from hartley grove just across the enterance to the accomodation. that bus goes down to uni- if you are feeling incredibly lasy and goes into town which is handy.

3- the flats are for 6 people, the kitchen is a good size although its hard with only one oven i found but we all seemed to cook at different times generally. it got a bit squished when people were sitting down to eat and people were cooking but was nice to chat to everyone tbh.

4- i ended up getting a tv thing that plugged into my lap top because i brought so much stuff and didnt really have any room for an actual tv. however the biggest issue with having a tv was getting a reception as rooms at hartley grove dont have an arial point. i was lucky as i was in a front room where as the rooms at the back didnt get so much signal it seemed, so you might want to wait and check out your signal before you decide you want one because some people spent all the money on the tv license which was a complete waste.

any other questions ask away
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
On the tv thing - there used to be a really nice communal TV room in south hill just next door to hartley grove. I'm not sure if it's still there but it's worth looking into (the accomm website doesn't seem to give any real information about social space apart from http://www.soton.ac.uk/accommodation...acilities.html )
robhowell
Report 8 years ago
Hi all,
Just thought i'd say I shall be staying at Hartley Grove aswell. I'll be studying Chemistry, so looks like it's going to be a very sciency halls lol
leckie
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by robhowell)
Hi all,
Just thought i'd say I shall be staying at Hartley Grove aswell. I'll be studying Chemistry, so looks like it's going to be a very sciency halls lol

haha tell me about it! i pity anyone whose studying english and ends up in a flat with 5 scientists...!!

also thank you to everyone who answered my questions! very helpful!

leckie
Ciambottina
Report 8 years ago
Hi, I want to accept my accomodation offer. There are two options of payment: Direct debit and Auto Collect by recurring Card Payment. I know direct debit. Can someone please explain the second. I am a bit hesitant to go with DD incase there won't be any funds in my account on the days they want to collect payment. I also haven't opened my student account yet. So don't even know what card details to put in
callum9999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi, I want to accept my accomodation offer. There are two options of payment: Direct debit and Auto Collect by recurring Card Payment. I know direct debit. Can someone please explain the second. I am a bit hesitant to go with DD incase there won't be any funds in my account on the days they want to collect payment. I also haven't opened my student account yet. So don't even know what card details to put in
Its basically where you give them your card details and then they automatically take the payments from your card at each instalment.
Mbharmal
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey fellow "Harley Grove"-ers

I'll also be here this Sept. I'll be in B block (anyone else in B block?)
Just like everyone here, I also was shocked by how expensive acc. was but at least we got halls and its close to Highfield campus!

I'm also another person following the science route....I'm studying Medicine!
Add me on facebook as well =D
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed