Turn on thread page Beta

When a recipe calls for sugar... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a cheesecake cupcake recipe that calls for sugar, but what sugar should I use?

I usually use caster sugar in recipes, but had a lovely cupcake using granulated, so I don't know what to use for this one.

ReputationRep:
    What are you doing with the sugar exactly?

I personally use caster sugar but I guess it could depend on what you're doing with it?

ReputationRep:
    If it's the base, then granulated would be fine - it'd make it a bit more crunchy.

If it's the topping, then use caster as it'd be smoother.

ReputationRep:
    I always use granulated unless it absolutely desperately needs caster.
    So far, I have baked nothing that meets the criteria for caster.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, I'll use granulated. I don't think I meant caster sugar in my first post, brown sugar is what I use, having a dumb day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    I have a cheesecake cupcake recipe that calls for sugar, but what sugar should I use?

I usually use caster sugar in recipes, but had a lovely cupcake using granulated, so I don't know what to use for this one.
    the base could do with granualted - the top is best with caster sugar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lacelicker)
    the base could do with granualted - the top is best with caster sugar.
    Top of what? :confused: I always put buttercream on top of my cupcakes, so just icing sugar, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Top of what? :confused: I always put buttercream on top of my cupcakes, so just icing sugar, etc.
    Buttercream has caster sugar in it ........ icing sugar makes icing.
    :P

ReputationRep:
    Uh, buttercream is made with butter and icing sugar...

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, I always use something similar to this recipe by Martha Stewart which uses icing sugar. Never tried it with caster sugar before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura-rad)
    Uh, buttercream is made with butter and icing sugar...

Really?? I've always just creamed butter and caster sugar .....

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, I always use something similar to this recipe by Martha Stewart which uses icing sugar. Never tried it with caster sugar before.
    It's just the way I do it - doesn't mean I'm right LOL!!

ReputationRep:
    I would always use caster unless it specified otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Really?? I've always just creamed butter and caster sugar .....
    All the recipes I've seen for buttercream are butter and icing sugar Oh well, as long as it tastes nice it doesn't really matter does it? Haha :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura-rad)
    All the recipes I've seen for buttercream are butter and icing sugar Oh well, as long as it tastes nice it doesn't really matter does it? Haha :p:
    I know lol - I don't think I've ever read it in a recipie - just been told - oh well - tastes good anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I know lol - I don't think I've ever read it in a recipie - just been told - oh well - tastes good anyway!
    I shall have to give it a try sometime :yep:

ReputationRep:

For the mixture, I'd use caster sugar.
    For the base, granulated, preferably brown

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe my luck. Here's someone talking about cheesecakes and my dad has bought me some mini ones! /brag

But yeah, I nearly always use granulated/brown. Still tastes fine it's just sometimes for things like a cheesecake mix, caster makes it smoother.

ReputationRep:
    Only difference between granulated and caster is the fineness.
    If in doubt use caster as it's finer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    I would always use caster unless it specified otherwise.
    :ditto: but with granulated (since my dad drinks so much coffee and has lots of sugar with it, granulated sugar's something I know is always in the house is significant quantities, but caster/demerara/icing/jam sugar or whatever might not be). One of the rare times I'd not go with that generalisation is with crème brûlée, where I'd always use demerara sugar if it's available

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.