money advice needed, no uni money till sept 20th and nothing to live on now Watch

boblette
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I cant rely on my parents for money, ive previously applied for JSA to get me through but it has been denied stating im classed at a full time student because i have applied for university. Jobs are little to none and im getting no where with ones i have applied.

Does anyone have any advice on what i could do till my university date starts on the 20th september?
Gavzzz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Try going around the neighbors asking for odd jobs perhaps? Ask the Uni if you are entitled to any further financial aid?
Missy Sara
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
JSA said you couldnt get help as you've applied to university? I phoned them and signed on, yet i start in october...
theronkinator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I also got JSA before I started Uni last year.
boblette
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I filled in the application sent it off went to sign on every other thursday, awaiting a letter to inform me when i'd get paid and they've denied my claim. I phoned to find out why and they said because im planning on going to university full time and finished college at the beginning of july i couldnt recieve it.

I'm really annoyed cause theres loads of people that have but theres nothing more i can do, i can hardly make them give me it. So i figured someone might have advice on here that could help.

Thanks Gavzzz, ill probably have to go round friends and their neighbours, cause i dont live in the nicest estate.
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
JSA are wrong, you should complain. You are only a full time student (from 6th form/college point of view) until some official date in June, and you only start university at Freshers Week - the time inbetween you can claim.
Boho Patch
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by boblette)
I cant rely on my parents for money, ive previously applied for JSA to get me through but it has been denied stating im classed at a full time student because i have applied for university. Jobs are little to none and im getting no where with ones i have applied.

Does anyone have any advice on what i could do till my university date starts on the 20th september?

Take your claim to a decision maker in the DWP. find out who you need to write to, go to the jobcentre and ask to speak to a senior line manager, and tell them that you know other people who are getting jsa and just pursue it, you cant give up on it, because right now you are available for seeking full time work, and they have no right to turn you down because someone who isnt a student might sign on and then go sick a couple of weeks later. start using words like discrimination and your basic human right and they will soon find you someone higher to complain to.

You could also try applying for a crisis loan, but good luck with that, they are useless and time wasting.

However, assuming youve opened a student bank account, and have your schedule of payments already, then take your documents into your bank and they usually let you use your overdraft as soon as they see you have a place and funding.

good luck
puds
Report 8 years ago
DWP will try and brush you under the carpet. They are wrong. Any full-time student be it pre-undergrad, mid term etc can claim for JSA during summer vacation if they are actively seeking work. In most cases this means from July 2nd up to start of Semester in September. Don't let them tell you otherwise.
kilowattjester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
try some money making methods?
Jayx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Student bank account! Open one and dive into the overdraft - Thats what its there for!
Blueflare
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You could get JSA between school and Uni? Why am I only learning this now?! :lolwut:

Anyway, get an interest free overdraft. Natwest and Halifax do them for students, probably a few others too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (149)
27.85%
No (386)
72.15%

Watched Threads