This discussion is closed.
gumbald
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I have just had two letters through for interviews at York and Manchester in a month's time. This may sound a silly question, but how should I dress to help me get a place at either?

Jaron
Lucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jaron)
I have just had two letters through for interviews at York and Manchester in a month's time. This may sound a silly question, but how should I dress to help me get a place at either?

Jaron
I personally would make the effort to look smart (wear at least a shirt). At my interviews (neither at York/Manchester mind) all the guys were wearing suits so if you have one at hand and feel comfortable enough in it then you might as well wear it and make a good impression. I would say definite no-nos are trainers and jeans/combats etc. Good luck with your interviews !
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
When I went to york for an interview for computer science about 1/4 of the people there were wearing suits, and the rest of us seemed to all be wearing something smart (a shirt and a jumper sort of thing).

I got an offer so I obviously wasn't wearing the wrong clothes
gumbald
Rep:
?
Cheers dudes. I shall consider the suit. If just a shirt, what about the tie? As it happens, I'm going for Computer Science at York...

What did they ask you?

Jaron
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
go naked.....they might think u have courage or that lessons with you will be interesting, to say the least....
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know it's a cliche...but wear what you feel comfortable in. I did not wear a suit to my Oxford interview, nor a skirt. I have an interview at Kings in two weeks or so, and i reckon i will go in informal attire. However, you can't go wrong with wearing a suit.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
or email ****** and susannah....
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wore a smart suit, trousers, tie and shoes for my interview at Salford. I think it impressed them because they offered me a place on computer science when I didn't have A level maths (they said they only have few places for people without it)
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wore a shirt + smart trousers for york interview and most people were dressed in a similar way, sum more informal, sum in suits but not many
sspllr
Report 16 years ago
ive got an interview wit manchester in a few weeks. wot subject r u applyin 4?
covered farm wagon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
at my cambridge interview, i wore pointy shoes with clouds and sunshine on, and strings of pearly beads. i recommend that, even though i didn't get in (i blame it on a lack of sufficient intellect rather than bad taste in shoes).
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by covered farm wa)
at my cambridge interview, i wore pointy shoes with clouds and sunshine on, and strings of pearly beads. i recommend that, even though i didn't get in (i blame it on a lack of sufficient intellect rather than bad taste in shoes).
Brilliant!!

G
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by covered farm wa)
Wow.

I wore my earplug and 2 sets of earrings (I'm male). My assymetrical hairstyle also impressed them at Cambridge
covered farm wagon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i did wonder if i should be as fancy in a non-flamboyant way as i could (maybe in a suit, but the only one i have is polka dot and not sensible). i had plans for a proper suit, actually, and i was going to take piercings out and perhaps wear makeup and fancy up my hair......... but i prefer dressing up in an extravagent way. i don't think it's that important anyway, the nice lady i met at the interview got in wearing a strokes t-shirt, so obviously they don't love suits that much. so, wear mink trousers and a velvet opera cloak and everything will be fine.
covered farm wagon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ps starry did you get in? what college? what subject?

i am pooled, from emmanuel, for philosophy. if you're in, will you write to the king of your college with a nice letter of recommendation about me/my shoes?
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jaron)

Jaron
look smart but not too formal.....and something u will be comfortable in is bect
gumbald
Rep:
?
(Original post by sspllr)
ive got an interview wit manchester in a few weeks. wot subject r u applyin 4?
It's computer science, same as my interview at York. Off the subject slightly, but it's my subject, so I will, has anyone had any experience of computer science interviews at these two? What might they ask me?

Jaron
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what you could do is wear a suit..and then sneakly see if everyone else is casual ...if so then take off your jacket and tie...not infront of them....they might get the wrong idea!
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I've had a comp sci interview at york (accepted their offer as my firm this week ) and I've spoken to others at my college that have as well.

The questions asked varied quite a bit, but were all the same area of computer related logic questions. Don't worry too much about it though since you've got through the hardest bit - being asked for interview

Where else have you applied for comp sci? And whats your favourite at the moment?
AmyBlue
Report 16 years ago
just don't do what my some guy i met did for his Oxford interview, he got told to be smart/casual so he turned up in his Newcastle footy top and some ripped jeans ........and smart shoes

errr he didn't get in :P
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads