Turn on thread page Beta

Just a quick question... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Who reckons IB is a possibility for me?

Usual straight As, four As at A level stuff.

I did one year at Queen's belfast studying Actuarial Sci and RM but dropped out. 1st for the year btw.

Now about to undertake BSc Financial Mathematics at Sheffield.

If i did a postgrad at lse or something, would IB be within my grasp? Just canvassing thoughts.

all replies appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny1mcc)
    Who reckons IB is a possibility for me?

Usual straight As, four As at A level stuff.

I did one year at Queen's belfast studying Actuarial Sci and RM but dropped out. 1st for the year btw.

Now about to undertake BSc Financial Mathematics at Sheffield.

If i did a postgrad at lse or something, would IB be within my grasp? Just canvassing thoughts.

all replies appreciated!
    What A-levels did you do?

ReputationRep:
    There are so many people from NI with AAA/AAAA who just end up at Queen's... It's a good university, but it's a shame more people don't go across the water to a top 10 uni.

Are you going into the 1st or 2nd year at Sheffield? Try to strengthen your CV and get applying to spring weeks/internships to see where you stand.

ReputationRep:
    My A levels are Maths, English, History, Business Studies. Pretty sure they'd be A* in the new system. I'm going into 1st in Sheff, wanted to start from scratch essentially. Figured the year would give me time to get organised and apply myself better.

Also considering doing futher maths on my own this year alongside my course....

Cheers for the help.

ReputationRep:
    Advice: Internships. No need to consider a postgrad at this point.

Bb^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny1mcc)
    My A levels are Maths, English, History, Business Studies. Pretty sure they'd be A* in the new system. I'm going into 1st in Sheff, wanted to start from scratch essentially. Figured the year would give me time to get organised and apply myself better.

Also considering doing futher maths on my own this year alongside my course....

Cheers for the help.
    Don't worry about doing further maths. Employers aren't keen on A-levels taken over several years and you won't need it with the BSc in Financial Maths.

Since you're going into 1st year, just try and do well academically, get involved in clubs & societies and apply for spring weeks.

How come you left QUB out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely apply to Spring weeks and get a better understanding of what division of an IB you want to go into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christo)
    Don't worry about doing further maths. Employers aren't keen on A-levels taken over several years and you won't need it with the BSc in Financial Maths.

Since you're going into 1st year, just try and do well academically, get involved in clubs & societies and apply for spring weeks.

How come you left QUB out of interest?

Didn't really have the heart for Actuary but mainly just wanted to get out of Belfast. Kinda just went to it as "the next step" but quickly realised that it was just the same old lifestyle really as to when i was in upper sixth. Just wanted to get away.

Thanks for the tips, I'll have go have a proper look into spring weeks and internships now.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.